What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

That's a good score brother!
I got to get you to jump on the MFSL bandwagon. Or, alternate option if you have means to play FLAC'S through a high definition DAC we can arrange a drop.

I haven't booted my PC up in a dog's age. I can play FLACs and actually have a whole wad of MFSL rips from my less ethical days. Sometime when I'm home, I'll have to have a dig through and see what there is on there.

Going to have to check that out properly when I get back to my cave. In the meantime, I'll give it a whirl on my phone. I should get an idea from that.

Right now, I'm listening to 2112 in preparation for writing the next post in my Rush journey. I've kind of skimmed over the first 3 albums but 2112 needs some special consideration.

View attachment 916530
Kev, I posted the lesser of her "Emerson's Moog" vids. The truly amazing one is her take on Pictures At An Exhibition. Seems she had better control of the operation on that one.
It damn near brings me to tears seeing her play with such precision and passion...she's a big Zappa fan too for those that like FZ.

Kev, I posted the lesser of her "Emerson's Moog" vids. The truly amazing one is her take on Pictures At An Exhibition. Seems she had better control of the operation on that one.
It damn near brings me to tears seeing her play with such precision and passion...she's a big Zappa fan too for those that like FZ.

Just finishing up 2112. I'll have a listen. Picture At An Exhibition seems like a good starting point.

Coming up in a few minutes : Dinah Washington - What a Difference a Day Makes! MFSL GOLD CD, (1959). This should be interesting....
View attachment 916528
View attachment 916529
Just think....In 1959, a Laser was still only a theoretical capability, just in the invention phase: (1960).
@KevinJS you're right about her voice in the front 1959 this sounds absolutely remarkable! Very warm smooth recording. Steven Hoffman doing his magic tricks again.

View attachment 916454
Just came across an ancient photo of Rob Grille and the Grass Roots playing through our gear and PA when my band The Killing Floor opened for them in a now defunct bar in York Pa. This around 1990. They showed up in 3 copper colored rental Caddilacs and kicked ass for 90 minutes..I had no idea how many hits they had but I knew every song for that 90 minutes..the show was sponsored by 100.7 WGRX in Baltimore...So now playing
View attachment 916459

Interesting thing about THE GRASSROOTS. Their 1st self-titled album was PF Sloan, who wrote most of the songs, and some studio musicians. DUNHILL was fairly surprised at the success of that record, so they shopped around for some local bands in the LA area to carry the GRASSROOTS name. They discovered Rob Grill's band and the rest is history. Btw, after Grill and The 13th Floor(the local band I referred to earlier), took over, The GRASSROOTS became THE GRASS ROOTS.

Last edited:

That is mind blowing. It's a good performance in any case, but when you consider she is blind it's hard to believe what's going on.

Over the weekend while I was at my job y'all had a rather lively discussion about feeling old and run down vs the vitality that active music listening and collecting brings us.
Well tonight the Mrs and I went out to eat up in the historic district of Lewes. Jerry's Seafood House...We both had the Crab Bomb, good god the bomb is awesome. A pint of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA on draft for $3.50, crazy!
http://www.jerrys-seafood.com/
crab%20bomb.jpg

Anyways, when we got home the Mrs asks me hypothetically if I felt like we were as old as the patrons around us. Where we live is Florida North. This area is crawling with retirees from D.C., Jersey, Baltimore, NY and Philly.
She posed this question based on how she feels about herself juxtaposed by what she sees in the mirror. My reply was that she still looks exactly like the day I met her 30 years ago with just a couple of years of slight wear and tear but still garage kept.
Told her I was still 19 years old in my opinion but when I see a picture of myself I'm shocked, then I showed her the album I was fixing to clean and she was like "You're 56 going on 65!!! Why do I even talk to you?"
Freshly cleaned and playing like it's 1965 all over again.
Boots Randolph - Plays More Yakety Sax!
https://www.discogs.com/Boots-Randolph-Boots-Randolph-Plays-More-Yakety-Sax/release/2517162

013.jpg

Taylor Swift 1989

Taylor_Swift_-_1989.png

In FLAC format, of course.

EDIT: Just realized that this is one of the only 96khz resolution album I have, now paired with my 96khz multibit dac. Does it change the way it sounds? Probably not. But it's nice to use everything to its fullest.

Taylor does pop like it should be done on this record. Just as good is the fact that she's finally added some decent, sometimes great, lyrics to these 80s infused modern pop tracks. The emotion that comes through in tracks like "Style" and "Wildest Dreams" feels far deeper than anything TayTay has ever performed.

Favorite tracks: Style, I Know Places, Welcome to New York. Out of the Woods...I have to stop before I list the whole album.

Least favorite track: This Love, Shake it Off.

Last edited:
That is mind blowing. It's a good performance in any case, but when you consider she is blind it's hard to believe what's going on.
Right Kev, her hands are going exactly where they need to go at exactly the right moment. It gives you an appreciation for the complexities of what Keith Emerson was doing when he worked it all out in '71, but to see this young girl manipulating the keys in such a fashion is humbling.
It was the hope of many an ELP fan that she and Greg would somehow find a way to collaborate in the wake of Keith's passing...we didn't know how ill Greg was and that performing was the farthest thing from his mind.

Last edited:
Interesting thing about THE GRASSROOTS. Their 1st self-titled album was PF Sloan, who wrote most of the songs, and some studio musicians. DUNHILL was fairly surprised at the success of that record, so they shopped around for some local bands in the LA area to carry the GRASSROOTS name. They discovered Rob Grill's band and the rest is history. Btw, after Grill and The 13th Floor(the local band I referred to earlier), took over, The GRASSROOTS became THE GRASS ROOTS.

Btw, I still believe that the 1st album with PF SLOAN doing the vocals is their best one. For those not familiar with Mr Sloan, other songs he wrote were EVE OF DESTRUCTION for Barry McQuire, SECRET AGENT MAN for Johnny Rivers, A MUST TO AVOID by Herman's Hermits, YOU BABY and LET ME BE for the Turtles.

Listened to some of The Mighty Invaders tonight, followed by some Bruford-- "Gradually Going Tornado."

You guys are all listening to some great stuff (Blitz, I can't wait to hear how one of my favorite singers, Dinah Washington, sounds in your chosen format!).

Gotta get to bed (haven't really slept since Thursday!); I should have some more listening and posting time tommorow night (no afternoon/evening gig).

God Bless & Good Night...

GJ
Close your eyes GJ. relax... go to sleep from your toes to your head, be still, embrace the silence.

Back
Top Bottom