DCM TimeWindow Seven

"the L1230s are in my friend's possession and I left him with the belief that his TW3s sounded good."

So - you did not buy either of them??

With all due respect owing the individual's preferences for certain sounds, I've never really understood the TW philosophy. A 20 hz wavelength is slightly over 52 feet. A 375 hz wavelength is about three feet. To avoid phase cancellation with sounds bouncing off walls seems to be an impossible task when human singing spans three octaves or more on a non-linear frequency domain. There would be no way to guarantee with multiple point sources of the same frequency that you could ever hope to keep the phase alignment coherent. For sounds over 5000 hz, I might give in to the opinion that phase coherence isn't that big a deal. I heard a pair of DCM TW 3s against a worn out pair of L1230s in the same room, with and without sub support. I was there to buy the L1230s. He was so excited to play the TW3s for me that he delayed the deal until I heard them. Bottom line - the L1230s are in my friend's possession and I left him with the belief that his TW3s sounded good.

"the L1230s are in my friend's possession and I left him with the belief that his TW3s sounded good."

So - you did not buy either of them??
My friend bought the L1230s from him. I have way too many speakers to pick-up anything other than the most exceptional and already own a pair of L1230s.

My friend bought the L1230s from him. I have way too many speakers to pick-up anything other than the most exceptional and already own a pair of L1230s.

I'm happy you've found multiple speakers you like - seriously, I am.

But you might want to start your own thread to talk about them.

The rest of us are gonna talk about TimeWindows and if that's not a speaker you like, this thread probably won't be interesting for you.

The first new speaker I ever purchased in 1985 was a pair of TF 350s (still use them). Got a pair of Time Windows from a friend a year ago. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Time Window Sevens.

Here's a TW7 review found on the AVSForum site.

2194208f_vbattach184052.jpeg
8b4046bc_vbattach184053.jpeg

@-reverb- The TF 2000 and TW^2 seem to be even more scarce than the sevens. Almost prototypes...

I'm happy you've found multiple speakers you like - seriously, I am.

But you might want to start your own thread to talk about them.

The rest of us are gonna talk about TimeWindows and if that's not a speaker you like, this thread probably won't be interesting for you.
Wait! You've misinterpreted my intention. First, congratulations on the TW7 find. They look like they are really fine examples. Second, speaker sound preference is like food preferences - extremely subjective. I would love to hear a pair of TW7s and probably will not ever have a chance.

Second, speaker sound preference is like food preferences - extremely subjective.

It's all good! I was going to make a reference to boxers and briefs but like your food analogy better.

Your first post had a good insight in that the TW design explicitly makes use of a room's first reflection point. It does give up a little bit of detail, but it somehow manages to retain very good instrument placement and stability. So, compromises and tradeoffs.

And to be honest, if this was a set of TW3 or TimeFrames I'd have passed on them, but with only 200 sets made I jumped.

I see ADS speakers recommended often, but don't see them for sale by me, so I haven't had a chance to hear them. I notice the L1230 have an angled inner face to focus the highs/mids in the listening position, and I'd be curious how they sound off axis, away from a center listening position. (See? I'm about to hijack my own thread talking about 1230's).

Thanks for posting back. If you ever make it to Dallas, look me up. I'll put the dog in the back yard and we'll listen to anything you want to hear!

With all due respect owing the individual's preferences for certain sounds, I've never really understood the TW philosophy. A 20 hz wavelength is slightly over 52 feet. A 375 hz wavelength is about three feet. To avoid phase cancellation with sounds bouncing off walls seems to be an impossible task when human singing spans three octaves or more on a non-linear frequency domain. There would be no way to guarantee with multiple point sources of the same frequency that you could ever hope to keep the phase alignment coherent. For sounds over 5000 hz, I might give in to the opinion that phase coherence isn't that big a deal. I heard a pair of DCM TW 3s against a worn out pair of L1230s in the same room, with and without sub support. I was there to buy the L1230s. He was so excited to play the TW3s for me that he delayed the deal until I heard them. Bottom line - the L1230s are in my friend's possession and I left him with the belief that his TW3s sounded good.

What do you think the TimeWindow philosophy is?

They are a phase linear; time aligned, and dual wave speaker.

Steve Eberbach wanted to emulate what he thought was the best sounding speakers he knew, the Quad Electrostatic loudspeaker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Electrostatic_Loudspeaker), but with conventional drivers and to be affordable.

They image and throw a sound field like nothing I ever head before.

What do you think the TimeWindow philosophy is?

They are a phase linear; time aligned, and dual wave speaker.

Steve Eberbach wanted to emulate what he thought was the best sounding speakers he knew, the Quad Electrostatic loudspeaker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Electrostatic_Loudspeaker), but with conventional drivers and to be affordable.

They image and throw a sound field like nothing I ever head before.
This jibes with what I read when the first Timewindow was released. There were pulse measurements taken which showed that the TWs were time aligned and phase coherent. There was also mention made of the Quad ESLs.

Update- I leave tomorrow for AZ and 48 hours from now I'll get to hear the sevens for the first time! Pictures and updates in about a week when I get back to town.

They image and throw a sound field like nothing I ever head before

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey! It's the guy who cloned TW7s and made a home theater out of em! I may be in touch re refurbishing mine when I get them home.

Wishing you safe travels on your way back home. Finding the 7 is incredible, likely you will not see another pair ever again. Be sure to give us lots of juicy pictures, they're great looking!

Congrats on finding the TW7s. I hope they are all you hoped for.

:)

Safe travels dcmfan, don't let those 7's bounce on the way home!!

Have a safe journey. Looking forward to some more posts!

Wishing you safe travels on your way back home. Finding the 7 is incredible, likely you will not see another pair ever again. Be sure to give us lots of juicy pictures, they're great looking!

Thanks for the support! Made it to Phoenix safe and sound. The primary purpose of this trip is to be with family, so I'll have limited time with the speakers. Still, I was able to spend about 30 minutes with them yesterday and am impressed with the overall condition and sound. The socks are in good shape, and there is some chipping of the finish on the tops and bottoms. Nothing that's noticeable from a listening chair, but worth correcting once I get these home.

We had audio streaming from Amazon and the speakers are in a room that limits how far off the wall they can be placed. I think they'd sound better further into that room, but since it's not my house, I didn't do any furniture moving to confirm. All the drivers work and the sound was good. These definitely have potential and I'm looking forward to getting them home next weekend.

On a side note, if you ever have a chance to drive west from Dallas to Phoenix, take the northern route through Albuquerque. The mountains in north Arizona are fantastic. I took state highways through Payson and the views were breathtaking! Wish I'd had another driver to spell me so I could watch the views instead of the curving road.

images

When I drove North in Texas I took the border road and stopped to see the home, the Lilly Langtry bar and courthouse of The Judge Roy Bean in Langtry.

Back
Top Bottom