TT Recommendations for c1950 Mono System

Todd Dodds

I've got a nice Radio Craftsmen amp, a ton of mono Classical and jazz albums, and a line on a single early '50's speaker.
Could you suggest some candidates for a late '40 - mid '50's turntable?
Garrard Model A's were '60's stereo, weren't they?

Rek-O-Kut B-12 of some sort, maybe? The early ones came with a good mono arm or you could put something like Grado on.

1956:

hifi-b_zps47fe37c6.jpg
hifi-c_zps7887ca53.jpg

hifi-d_zpsfdcce842.jpg
hifi-e_zps5e690d7f.jpg

Source:

hifi-a_zps14c91e90.jpg

That or a Garrard 301. In those days that or the Rek-O-Kut models with Bodine or Ashland motors were the finest available. Also, Presto had a nice turntable then and later on Bogen/Presto's early Lenco models would be awesome for mono discs.

I've got a nice Radio Craftsmen amp, a ton of mono Classical and jazz albums, and a line on a single early '50's speaker.
Could you suggest some candidates for a late '40 - mid '50's turntable?
Garrard Model A's were '60's stereo, weren't they?

Yes, the Garrard Type A was stereo, although I may have seen mono head-shells for it. That said, you can easily wire it for mono. I have one that I hope to restore someday. They are plentiful, and cheap on the used market but will need some work.

Rek-O-Kut, as previously mentioned would be another option. I have a L37 (33 & 78) that I restored a while ago. Like the Garrard, it's also an idler drive but completely manual. I have it set-up with a Shure tone-arm in my office.

gerry mulligan (2).JPG

I think @tcdriver uses a Type A in his mono set-up. Maybe he'll weigh in here...
The Type A is a great player, however; I use a RC-88/4 mono version in my system.

The RC-88/4 was introduced in 1956. My unit was made between late 1957 and the middle of 1958. The Garrard Type A was introduced in 1960.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom