Insurance

wrdeacon

Not sure exactly what to do on this. I have shipped two receivers via the UPS store. The first time, I had them pack it for me and it was damaged and a claim was paid. The second time, I packed it myself and requested additional insurance and they would not let me purchase it since they could not confirm how it was packaged. The unit I packed arrived in good shape. What the heck are you supposed to do?

Not sure exactly what to do on this. I have shipped two receivers via the UPS store. The first time, I had them pack it for me and it was damaged and a claim was paid. The second time, I packed it myself and requested additional insurance and they would not let me purchase it since they could not confirm how it was packaged. The unit I packed arrived in good shape. What the heck are you supposed to do?
That is tough, sometimes going to the top district might get you somewhere but by telephone...I have a hard time getting my actual costs until they bill me.

Take a step by step photo of your packing job and show it to them if they refuse they might be going against their policy and could be reported to the BBB or other authority...the big companies picking on you is unfair...I do feel for you sorry to hear of this issue!

What do you mean by 'additional insurance'? Over the minimum amount they provide for all package? What is that, $150?

Yeah I would do what 24V suggested, take pics. Or leave the box untaped and let them inspect before taping it shut.

Or, get a different carrier.

Use Fedex. Install Shiprush for Fedex. Pack your gear, input your info, print your label, seal, take to counter, scan, and go home.
Add whatever insurance you want, but make sure you have 2" of padding on every side and that you can prove your value via a receipt or some sort of proof of purchase.

Fedex Offices are quite common and in my experience, Fedex is both less expensive and more reliable.

Use Fedex. Install Shiprush for Fedex. Pack your gear, input your info, print your label, seal, take to counter, scan, and go home.
Add whatever insurance you want, but make sure you have 2" of padding on every side and that you can prove your value via a receipt or some sort of proof of purchase.

FedEx Offices are quite common and in my experience, Fedex is both less expensive and more reliable.
I use FedEx exclusively, and strongly suggest it for incoming restoration commissions. I have not lost any incoming gear that was competently packed, and not had any damage at all to outgoing gear, packed by me. USPS and UPS have wrecked about 30% of my incoming gear.

Over a certain claimed value threshold, my local FedEx locations require inspection of packing. I have had to unseal and allow the inspection before a claimed value over $500 (if I remember correctly) is accepted. Most have been impressed with what they see with my packing.

Strictly speaking, with FedEx, you are not buying insurance. It is more the idea of value coverage. I'm not sure what the difference is, but that is what I am told by FedEx personnel.

In my experience, having the shipping company,or an agent of same, pack audio gear of any value is a mistake. They just don't know how to do a competent job, in general. Getting damages paid is not a problem here, but folks want their gear, not damage coverage.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Over the last 15 years I've never had a carton opened for inspection, but I pre-label them all, so I doubt the accepting ckerk sees, or cares, about the value.
In hundreds of cartons shipped, I can count issues I've had on one hand, and all were taken care of promptly and to my customer's satisfaction.
Read the horror stories here about UPS Store packing, and do it yourself for peace of mind. You care more about the puece than they do...

I use Fedex Ground so I'm not familiar with UPS's current practices. I don't know that I've shipped anything with very high value (over $150) for a few years at FedEx though. I log packages in online and print a sheet/label for the box. You declare value and (presumably) purchase extra coverage during that process. I can't say for sure whether FedEx would (in 2017) require inspection if you logged in a package online and got extra insurance, but I've never had it happen in all the years I've been shipping with them. I always use my own packaging and select that option on the form. BTW you save 13% doing it online with your own account over standing in line and filling out paperwork. I just hand them the pre-labeled package and I'm gone.

I don't do the on-line label. Maybe that is the difference with me. With the on-line label, you just hand the package over and walk away.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I was mad at them when they came up with online shipping because it shifts the data entry to the customer. HOWEVER it cuts my time in line, lets me check in the package during off hours (midnight if I want!), and eliminates the chance of incorrect data entry by counter personnel. In addition to the discounted price. So now maybe we have another thing to add to the list: they don't inspect your packages.

I thoroughly document my packaging, via photography as packing progresses. I do this, also, so that the client (true owner of the gear) can have input, and authorize shipment with confidence. The photos are posted to a hosting site, and kept there until a transaction has been brought to completion. A challenge to the adequacy of packaging would be hard to support, legally. The gear I deal with is quite valuable.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom