Vintage System Opinion

cnelvis

I have a vintage system, but it's not really speaking to me... I'm trying to get that analog warmth, transparency, etc.

I've put this system together, but I feel like I'm missing something in the sound. Looking for opinions about system changes, or if I have to look into gear replacement.

Tuner/Amp: Marantz 2235B (refurbished/recapped)
Turntable: Dual 1229 with Shure Type II (refurbished from fixmydual.com)
Speakers: Dyanaco A25 (not refurbished by me, may still be stock).

I think everything sounds ok, I played a test LP and it seemed to test ok. Just not getting that OMG feeling.

Using some of the higher end MOFI and Analogue Productions vinyl to play. I have an ultrasonic cleaning machine as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

This may elicit gasps, but what other playback and source equipment do you have? Can you play CDs or digital files? Also, do you have a good set of headphones?

I'm asking because I'd start with a reference point. The easiest way to do that for me is a good pair of detailed but neutral as possible headphones playing a CD or higher resolution digital file. I wouldn't be looking for things like "warmth" or "bloom," but how much detail can I hear and hopefully the timbre of the instruments and any vocals in a few reference recordings. Then I'd compare that to the system. I'd also try to evaluate the amplification, speakers, and room using CD or digital at first as it as comparatively fewer portions which can dramatically affect the sound (unlike a vinyl LP which is affected by the cartridge, tonearm, turntable, vibrations, etc.). Once I was happy with how digital was played back I'd decide if the turntable needed adjustments or changes.

(Edit: I'd listen for musicality and how involving the system is as well, but my first concern would be if the system is reasonably reproducing details on the recording without much tone/timbre coloration).

Last edited:
Shure Type II

I would first start thinking about stepping up your front end starting with cartridges and tables, and for sure the cart.

Using some of the higher end MOFI and Analogue Productions vinyl to play. I have an ultrasonic cleaning machine as well.

Buying records like this is and having any lack luster sound quality points directly at where the stylus meats the vinyl. These records shine with great MC carts and tables.

A long story short, I chased SQ buying equipment and table after table and kept moving and using my V15 II with everything. I even started to buy my mac equipment and used the V15 II and still wasn't happy. One day I bough a SOTA Star Sapphire, SME 309 arm and a Sumiko Blackbird. There it was the SQ I kept looking for spending 1000s and 1000s of dollars for, when really all I was missing was a really good MC cartridge and a table that can handle it. And truthfully it doesn't take a lot of table for a really nice cart to bring quality sound to the system.

the speakers are over 40 years old maybe the crossovers need new caps, i find that the later marantz 22xx series after 1975 dont sound as warm as the earlier ones, 2235B is 1976, but they should still sound great, my 2275 is not as warm as my 2270 but it is more detailed and sounds awesome.

I have a vintage system, but it's not really speaking to me... I'm trying to get that analog warmth, transparency, etc.

I've put this system together, but I feel like I'm missing something in the sound. Looking for opinions about system changes, or if I have to look into gear replacement.

Tuner/Amp: Marantz 2235B (refurbished/recapped)
Turntable: Dual 1229 with Shure Type II (refurbished from fixmydual.com)
Speakers: Dyanaco A25 (not refurbished by me, may still be stock).

I think everything sounds ok, I played a test LP and it seemed to test ok. Just not getting that OMG feeling.

Any advice is appreciated.

What have you listened to in the past? A lot of people that have listened to CDs for decades are not impressed with turntables. I grew up listening to records then went to CDs in the 80s. When I went back to vintage SS I was remembered why I went back to CDs......they sound better to me. Dont let people tell you that you are not an "audiophile" unless you love vinyl, its BS.

I use vintage receivers with modern speakers and am extremely happy with the sound. I have two different vintage systems with 5 different receivers that I switch out. I play the turntable once in a while but mostly I use my SACD changer and stream Spotify through them. One of the best parts about vintage receivers is that they can still be used with modern sources. Speakers are what matters most in any system and how it sounds however, not the amp. Try another set of speakers then maybe a good digital source first.

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice. Listening to digital sources (24/96 or 192 .wav files through iTunes/through Apple Airport Express :1/8" out to RCA) doesn't sound bad, but doesn't sound great either. I'd consider a cartridge upgrade but, as Carraway suggested, the digital sources don't sound magical either. I don't have a dedicated CD player, just a drive for ripping to .wav. Once I get the speakers settled, maybe a table upgrade is in order as well.

Any recommendations for speakers that are a step up? I've heard good things about the ELAC line, but never heard them.

What have you listened to in the past? A lot of people that have listened to CDs for decades are not impressed with turntables. I grew up listening to records then went to CDs in the 80s. When I went back to vintage SS I was remembered why I went back to CDs......they sound better to me. Dont let people tell you that you are not an "audiophile" unless you love vinyl, its BS.

I use vintage receivers with modern speakers and am extremely happy with the sound. I have two different vintage systems with 5 different receivers that I switch out. I play the turntable once in a while but mostly I use my SACD changer and stream Spotify through them. One of the best parts about vintage receivers is that they can still be used with modern sources. Speakers are what matters most in any system and how it sounds however, not the amp. Try another set of speakers then maybe a good digital source first.
I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of vintage equipment/modern(ish) speakers. The best of both worlds. Many incredible deals on high-end speakers from the 90s, often 20 cents or less in the dollar.

I'm prepared for the flames, but I've never liked any Marantz piece that ended in a "B." And I've had plenty of opportunities to compare over the years at EDI in Peoria and in homes nearby. Think about it...

Good listening.

I'd think about the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge and two pair of the JBL L250 speakers....that should get your feet dancing like never before. AudioQuest has some decent interconnecting cables that join components together as in a CD player and turntable. You just need to make small improvements like adding a cork turntable mat to reduce vibration that muddles the sound conversion process of your turntable. Then, there is speaker placement as far away from each other as possible. Speakers should be ear level for the best enjoyment so speaker stands just might be the ticket....

This is the hobby.

Trade/sell the Marantz and the Dynacos for something like this : upload_2017-4-22_13-11-42.png and then spend a little and hook it to something like these: upload_2017-4-22_13-17-5.png

All available in BarterTown.

Oh, I forgot about a pre...

The A25's were considered a budget speaker when new. Being a simple two way, you may not see exacting definition that you may be missing. That said, they've got a certain sound and appeal that sold 60K of them over time, so they must have something going for them, and I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

From what I understand, the crossovers usually hold up well, but the drivers can go a bit flat and less responsive due to age.

The A25's are happiest at around 60wpc, so you should have plenty power to drive them. Also, before you do anything else, try playing with your room layout and speaker positioning. That can easily make or break a system. Height is important ... you want the tweets at ear level. And don't forget to play with your toes! ;-}

Thanks everyone. This is so helpful. I'll take a picture of my set up and post it. I do have the speakers up on stands, well on top of other speakers actually. The Ortofon 2M Blue is an interesting recommendation. I may give that a shot. Floor standing speakers are another interesting way to go, and I have some ones that I can try.

My room is very awkward, so that could indeed be part of the issue. I feel like I'm at 70%, and I'm trying to just raise the bar a bit.

Please keep it up, I love all these suggestions. If anyone is in the Orange County (California) area, I would love to come listen to a proper system. Thanks!

If anyone is in the Orange County (California) area, I would love to come listen to a proper system.
There are a few AKers in the vicinity of Orange county. I'm a bit too far away from you in Palmdale for you to drop by for a listening session!

I do agree that speakers are probably the weak link of your system. You also have to be careful as certain LPs and digital music have not been mastered properly and perform poorly. For example, the performance of a TELARC cd, which is copied from the masters made during the recording session, is leaps and bounds better than your regular run-of-the-mill cd.

Last edited:
I agree that the speakers and cartridge/stylus will alter the sound of your system the most. And you may not find it until you get out and hear a bunch of different types of gear.

Back
Top Bottom