Clarification while headphone hunting for my father

bored184

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I would like some help and clarification while looking for a pair of open back headphones for my father. These will be paired with an Emotiva Steath DC-1. Looking on a number of sites it appears a lot of the recommendations I am seeing are low impedance headphones. I read though that having lowing impedance headphones and a dedicated headphone amp is a waste, is their any truth to that? Does high impedance headphones reproduce sound better then low impedance headphones?

His budget is 350 max. We are both new to headphones and I will probably pick up a matching pair of headphones while I sort out what kind of amp I want to purchase.

IMO/E the impedance of a pair of headphones does not in any way relate to their "audio" quality. With that said, I have several headphone amplifiers. The latest (Little Dot MKII) is jumpered for low impedance phones. This is because the phones I'm currently using are low impedance.

If you're using an Emotiva product give them a call. I've found them to be quite friendly and forthcoming when responding to questions about using their products.

I read though that having lowing impedance headphones and a dedicated headphone amp is a waste, is their any truth to that?
Not really,it's a judgement call that's made by the individual who's using said equipment. So there really is no right -or- wrong,just a simple choice one makes.

What does matter is that the given dedicated headphone amp will work well with the given headphones that are chosen,be they low -or- high impedance.
That's true because not all amps will play well with a given set of 'phones.
But many headphone amps can handle both types of 'phones as SOP.

That Emotiva should be able to handle any impedance 'phones fairly well according to their specs.

Does high impedance headphones reproduce sound better then low impedance headphones?
That's purely subjective...
So again really no cut & dried answer to that except to say that it depends on the person answering the question and the specific headphones in question.
Most serious headphone types often tend to have both low & high impedance cans in their collection and will use a given type for a given listening session.

I'm one of those types,though my high impedance cans outnumber my low impedance phones,but one should'nt make too much of that.

JME ~ FWIW ~HTH

Bret P.

As mentioned the Sennheiser HD 600 or HD650 would an excellent choice, especially if you like more bass.
The AKG K701 or K702 would be my choice in that price range.

Awhile back I got the Grado RS-2i which have been supplanted by the RS-2e. I picked the RS-2i over the Sennheiser and AKG models. They did cost more. You might also consider the Grado SR325e that falls into your price range.

I did extensive research before I plunked down $500. The tool on this site is invaluable. It lets you compare up to 4 headphones. Finding the actual headphone models to demo will be tough. So find a baseline headphone (go listen) and then you can compare and extrapolate enough information to make a good decision.

http://graphs.headphone.com

Good luck and have fun.

I appreciate the input so far. This weekend I sat down and did some comparison between an older pair of AKG 240 Monitors, my buddies Sennheiser HD558 and my recent purchase a pair of audio technica ath-m50x. Between the three, the ath-50x were by far the better pair sound wise but last in comfort. In comfort I would rate the AKG first. The clamping force on the ath-50x became to much after a couple hours of listening.

My father listen to about everything, so far I am looking at the following pairs
1. AKG 712, I've seen them on the bay for around 260
2. Beyerdynamic DT 990, a buddy recommended them
3. Sennheiser HD 600 or HD650

As far as myself, I have the ATH-50x but I am thinking about a pair of the massdrop akg 7xx this way I would have a set of open and a closed. I am also giving serious thought to picking up a Schiit Vali 2 or just going nuts and getting the Schiit Valhalla 2.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Hrmm... I'd rate the 600/650 as my top preference overall, then the 712s (I'm guessing, based on the 701s and 702s) and the 990s last. I'd personally take the 880s over the 990s.

Having said that, for someone that has heard the M50s, the 558s and the 240s and greatly preferred the sound of the M50s, I'd suggest the 990s (or 880s).

Any of those will be more comfortable than the M50s in my opinion. Not that I dislike the M50s at all but they are the most reliabt upon clamp force.

I like all the headphones mentioned quite a bit. I've never heard the 558s but I own midded 518s and 598s. Overall, I prefer the Q701s for most classical and big acoustic jazz as everything sounds more spacious. For actual rock and bassy stuff, I'd take the M50s or the 880s. For almost everything in between, I'd go for the 598/600/650. There is lots of overlap, of course.

I'm tempted to say that the Senns are the best overall choice as long as you don't mind the lack of huge bass. I enjoy mine with all kinds of music and the relative lack if bass (compared to the M50s or 880s) isn't an issue for me for 95% of what I listen to. I can use the Q701s or the 240s for almost anything. I don't love classical or acoustic jazz through the M50s. The Senns seem to just work with just about everything.

That's my take anyway.

You may not have to go the Senn 600 route. As already mentioned, the Senn 598 is a really rugged/comfortable HP. This could get you out of the $350 range as well.

Q

Yeah, I've heard and compared the 600 to the 650 and I've heard the 600 pretty extensively with a lot of different material but I enjoy my 598s and modded 518s so much that I haven't dropped the coin for the 650 or more likey, the 600. Certainly not saying the 518/598 is the full equivalent to the 600/650, but they are pretty damn good. If I didn't own the 701s I'd probably ante up for the 600s or said anther way, if I lost everything and got an insurance check to start over knowing what I know now, the 600 would probably be one of the first set I'd buy, along with the 880s for more bassy stuff and for movies.

Thanks for all those that responded and helped me out. I think for my father I will get him the Sennheiser HD600s. No matter who I have talked to those appear to be the ones mentioned the most.

With my father taken care of its now to start looking for me...haha

Back
Top Bottom