Hearing Damage from Shooting Guns

Judas Priest

I´m posting this here because it is about our hearing, more than it is about guns.

When I was a kid, I used to shoot my .22 rifle all the time without hearing protection. I didn´t think it was that loud. I did find a .22 pistol to be very loud, and a .38 Special was also too loud without protection.

I accidentally shot my .41 Magnum without protection once. I forgot to put them on, and only remembered when I pulled the trigger! I think I even have a video of that somewhere.

My uncle was a WWII nut, and he took us out to shoot the 8mm Mauser rifle that my dad found at an antique store. That was the first time I heard a firearm live. That really left an impression! It was unbelieveably loud to my virgin, unprotected ears :(

Well, I have since found out that a .22 rifle is somwhere between 134 and 144 dbA.

Shit.

I fired thousands of rounds back then :(

I wish I would have known better :(

I hear ya man (more or less...) I wish I'd worn ear protection EVERY SINGLE TIME I did anything loud besides music. Table saw, engine tuning, mower, chain saw, shooting, all of it: I wish I wore sunscreen back in the 70's and 80's too. Good thing I started wearing a helmet on the bike back in the old days though, the damage from those concussions builds up over time!

I assume that your ears rang after some of those shots? It's a bit disturbing to know that when your ears ring, permanent damage has already occurred. I went shooting with friends a few times. I was good about my ear plugs but my friend loved to jump around enthusiastically like a little kid, firing the guns at cans, making jokes about his ears ringing :( The only time my ears have actually ever rang was when I was in the car and the metal part of the seat-belt accidentally hit the window very hard. The window didn't break or anything but it made such a loud "DING!" that it actually made my ear ring on that side :( My SPL meter only goes up to 130dB, I'd love to find one that goes higher, maybe be able to collect more useful information in many different loud situations.

I can´t remember if my ears rang after firing the .22 rifle. All other weapons: hell yeah! my ears rang :(

Now, they are AYWAYS ringing. I´m listening to Beethoven right now, and I can still hear my tinnitus.

I've always worn hearing protection ... shooting, rock concerts, record vacuums and even when mowing grass.

I´ve had tinnitus for so long, I can´t even remember when it started.

Maybe after the shooting, maybe after my first Judas Priest concert. I don´t know.

134-144dBA for a 22 rifle? My dad's was nothing remotely close to that. Now, my bud's 357 magnum pistol, that's another thing altogether. When we were young and stupid, he squeezed off a round before I could get me ear protection on, with me standing about three or four feet to his right. My left ear rang for three days and felt like it had cotton in it for longer than that. I now have measurable hearing loss and tinnitus in that ear. Growing up on a farm, I was exposed to lots of loud machinery, not to mention squealing pigs (I'd squeal too if I was getting my family jewels cut off without anesthesia...or with it for that matter. Anyway, I'm glad I can still hear as well as I do. My top ocatave is pretty much gone, but I still enjoy music about as much as ever.

Long ago, when I was young and stupid, I fired a twelve gauge into a box tightly packed with old magazines in my bedroom at my parent's house. Room was about ten by twelve and I had no ear protection on. Yes it was LOUD. Ears rang for about six hours but fortunately left no lasting effects (at least that I can tell). That said I would never do that again.

Even with my tinnitus and probable hearing loss, I can still IMMENSELY enjoy my system and music.

I´m just glad that the damage isn´t worse !

I did the same when I was younger. I keep a 200 count box of ear plugs now. every time I go shooting now I grab a hand full. Not just for me but for anyone who is with me or shooting next to me that doesn't have any.

I´m posting this here because it is about our hearing, more than it is about guns.

When I was a kid, I used to shoot my .22 rifle all the time without hearing protection. I didn´t think it was that loud. I did find a .22 pistol to be very loud, and a .38 Special was also too loud without protection.

I accidentally shot my .41 Magnum without protection once. I forgot to put them on, and only remembered when I pulled the trigger! I think I even have a video of that somewhere.

My uncle was a WWII nut, and he took us out to shoot the 8mm Mauser rifle that my dad found at an antique store. That was the first time I heard a firearm live. That really left an impression! It was unbelieveably loud to my virgin, unprotected ears :(

Well, I have since found out that a .22 rifle is somwhere between 134 and 144 dbA.

Shit.

I fired thousands of rounds back then :(

I wish I would have known better :(

When I was a kid we only wore ear protection when we shot indoors. Now after years of that and lots of rock concerts 35 years ago I dont even use headphones. When I go to the range (since I have a CCW I try to go at least once a month) I double with foam earplugs and I have a pair of active headgear. Even with that when I shoot my Russian Mosin/Nagant rifle (7.62x54mm) I almost find it painful. My 9mm, 38 and .380 pistols are loudish but noting too bad. My wifes's Ruger 10/22 rifle I can barely hear....... it is just sort of a "snap" with double ear protection.

Long ago, when I was young and stupid, I fired a twelve gauge into a box tightly packed with old magazines in my bedroom at my parent's house. Room was about ten by twelve and I had no ear protection on. Yes it was LOUD. Ears rang for about six hours but fortunately left no lasting effects (at least that I can tell). That said I would never do that again.
I tried to convert my Marlin to full auto :)

I test fired it in our basement into a bucket of sand; and used hearing protection for that.

Full auto didn´t work :(

Back in the mid 60's when I was in basic training in USAF, No ear protection was provided on the firing range. We were firing M1 Carbines, and M16's with no ear protection. When I had my discharge physical, they
compared my hearing test to the hearing test I took when I joined up. They saw that there was an appreciable difference, and they told me not to worry about, it wouldn't be a problem unless I bought an expensive
stereo system. I have thought about those words innumerable times since.

Oh man....

Luckily, when I went through USAF basic in ´83 or so, we had hearing protection.

Your story reminds me of this :

No hearing protection to be seen....

Last edited:
Ft. Bliss, 1967. No protection at all and we were firing M-14's. We used Marlboro filters stuck in our ears. Better than nothing.

I spent a lot of time at gun clubs as a kid- my dad was a big trap shooter. I always wore protection when actually shooting. I was at lots of too loud rock concerts over the years and I worked as a diesel mechanic. I'm in my sixties and I still enjoy the stereo hobby so I guess I should count my blessings.

Never ever shot without hearing protection and have had minimal exposure to loud rock concerts. Hearing is still done at about 12.5 kHz. Probably OK for 63 years. Probably did get exposed to high levels of high frequencies now and then in machine shops. IMO, you can never go wrong by wearing hearing protection.

With guns, I have always worn hearing protection. Loud mowers, farm equipment, too. But, I had a really scary experience with a 600psi Steam leak at work. Kind of similar to standing next to a rocket launch. Unbelievably loud. I completely lost all hearing for about three days. Had my hearing tested soon thereafter (I have to have it tested every year as part of "Annual Health Screen" at work). I was VERY Lucky as it was reported to me that I have had ZERO loss in the last 27 years. Talk about relieved!!!

Back
Top Bottom