Does Anyone here NOT own a Television?

DO YOU NOT OWN A TELEVISION? Could you go WITHOUT a TV?

• NO, I actually do NOT own a TV! So YES, I can go WITHOUT it!

• I have a TV of course, it's not 1940. It's on ALL the time! I have to run... "MASH" is on again!

• I have a TV but seem to lisen to music more than I watch TV. But I could NOT go without it!

• TV is a wasteland! I COULD go without it.... but I have one.... and I watch it from time to time.

• I'm not sure. TV, Stereo, Internet. It varies. Whatever I'm in the mood for.

• I do NOT have a TV, but I watch TV on the Internet via my computer. Does that count?

• I watch TV and I watch videos and movies via my computer. I guess I'm addicted to video.

• I ONLY use my TV for Laser Disc or DVD or simiar. No broadcast or cable TV for me!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I watched my share of television when I was growing up. We did not have a color television until I was in high school (early 1970s). As a result, the horse of a different color scene in The Wizard of Oz went completely over my head.

However, I never bothered to buy a television once I moved away from home. As the years went by, I found less and less reason to buy a television and watch it. My location is not good for antenna reception, and cable is expensive ($90 a month for basic service).

Television, and now commercial radio, seems to be for the ADHD crowd. The constant commercials make watching and/or listening an unpleasant experience. The original Star Trek episodes were 52 minutes long. Today's shows are typically less than 45 minutes.

"Green has lived without television since 1989, when his then-girlfriend moved out and took her set with her.

"When Claudia went, the TV went with her," Green said. "But instead of just going out and buying another one–which I certainly could have afforded, that wasn't the issue–I decided to stand up to the glass teat."

"I'm not an elitist," Green said. "It's just that I'd much rather sculpt or write in my journal or read Proust than sit there passively staring at some phosphorescent screen."

"If I need a fix of passive audio-visual stimulation, I'll go to catch a Bergman or Truffaut film down at the university," Green said. "I certainly wouldn't waste my time watching the so-called Learning Channel or, God forbid, any of the mind sewage the major networks pump out."

Interesting thread.

There's nothing inherently wrong with television. But there is with much of the program material.

I enjoy a well crafted movie or documentary. And some mainstream shows, such as Shameless from Showtime.

I cut the cord years ago when I realized I was paying for satellite service and hadn't turned the TV on in 3 months. Just stream Netflix and Amazon, with an outdoor antenna for real time weather during hurricane warnings.

Interesting thing: when I do sit down to watch something with my girlfriend, it takes us an average of 45 minutes to watch 30 minutes of programming. The reason is one of us will see something that sparks some dialog between us, and we pause the program while we talk.

no option for me
I have TVs, no antenna or cable.I just watch via internet streaming services. Very little though.

reading the posts here make me wonder if we audio guys are not very representative of the general population in TV viewing.
It seems most here don't bother with traditional over the air or cable TV yet I know of no one in the real world but myself like this.

I just voted for #3 looks like it's on top at 21%

Also I need my Fox news, I guess that's political as pointed out, Sorry!

Best-
boozehound

reading the posts here make me wonder if we audio guys are not very representative of the general population in TV viewing.
It seems most here don't bother with traditional over the air or cable TV yet I know of no one in the real world but myself like this.
You know, that's a really good point. When people find out I don't have cable or satellite TV they look at me like I've got 2 heads. Although the younger folks don't. They tend to use streaming more than folks my age (60+).

Well, I had Spectrum (fromerly Time Warner) put in an internet line in preperation for eliminating ATT U-Verse and just going with the Spectrum Internet and Digital Over The Air Broadcast. But the wrinkle for me is, once you get rid of Att U-Verse TV, it's gone forever. They are migrating customers from U-Verse to Dish TV. I don't want a dish on my home, so if I ditch U-Verse, I'd have to go Spectrum Cable for TV and I really like my U-Verse package well above anything Spectrum is offereing. But it's harder to get rid of something that you know will be permanently gone once you cut the cord. At least it is for me.

I'll probably go ahead and ditch U-Verse, but it's a hard decision to do so. But with triple the speed on Spectrum's internet over U-Verse for $49 a month (for one year then $69 on-going) for 70 megs down, that's not a bad deal. My service for Spectrum is running hot and I'm 20 meg above the 50 meg quoted. Hopefully that will last, but even it it doesn't, 50 meg is a lot faster than the 20 meg I currently have with U-Verse.

I have to say that when you download high rez files you buy from places like HD Tracks, 70 meg is sure a lot faster than 20. Otherwise, U-Verse internet is fine for me.

Hard decision.

Well, I had Spectrum (fromerly Time Warner) put in an internet line in preperation for eliminating ATT U-Verse and just going with the Spectrum Internet and Digital Over The Air Broadcast. But the wrinkle for me is, once you get rid of Att U-Verse TV, it's gone forever. They are migrating customers from U-Verse to Dish TV. I don't want a dish on my home, so if I ditch U-Verse, I'd have to go Spectrum Cable for TV and I really like my U-Verse package well above anything Spectrum is offereing. But it's harder to get rid of something that you know will be permanently gone once you cut the cord. At least it is for me.

I'll probably go ahead and ditch U-Verse, but it's a hard decision to do so. But with triple the speed on Spectrum's internet over U-Verse for $49 a month (for one year then $69 on-going) for 70 megs down, that's not a bad deal. My service for Spectrum is running hot and I'm 20 meg above the 50 meg quoted. Hopefully that will last, but even it it doesn't, 50 meg is a lot faster than the 20 meg I currently have with U-Verse.

I have to say that when you download high rez files you buy from places like HD Tracks, 70 meg is sure a lot faster than 20. Otherwise, U-Verse internet is fine for me.

Hard decision.
So i take you do have a TV ?

So i take you do have a TV ?

Yes, I do - as I answered in the survey. However, I honestly do not watch much television, as my friends in the Jazz thread can probably attest to. I am listening to Jazz most of the time, however, I do love Baseball and I like PBS (Nova and Nature). But I'm a heartbeat away from cutting the cord. With U-Verse I get the MLB Network. But the more I think about it, I could just ween myself off of Baseball down to what the OTA networks may broadcast on weekends. It would be tough, but what the heck. More time for music. And PBS is broadcast so that's not an issue. I would definitley NOT subscribe to MLB via the internet. I don't want the temptation to have every game on demand. Better not to tempt fate.

Of course I have a TV, I think TV is better than its ever been, with the combination of high definition large screens and on-demand services like Netflix converging to allow advertising free well produced series with stories and cinematography which would have never existed on old fashioned over the air ntsc.

I've been "binge-watching" breaking bad lately, what a kick ass show! I can't imagine watching stuff like this on a little computer screen.. all the beautifully shot scenes would be ruined. it would be like replacing my stereo system with a fisher price record player.

I've got a TV. No on cable, just an antenna. I rarely turn it on. I've been pondering getting rid of Netflix, but, I'll binge the occasional series, or watch a movie once or twice a month. I am a big soccer fan, however, I just can't justify paying a cable bill just to watch games.

Back
Top Bottom