KENWOOD KD-3070 DIRECT-DRIVE TURNTABLE

What cartridges are with each table?

All things being equal,
I would choose the pioneer pl 518 but if the kenwood has the better cartridge, I would go for it.

Either way,
You will end up with a nice table.

Good luck.

I have a KD-3070. If I remember correctly I paid $120 for it. Cosmetics were very good. The cartridge was a Stanton 500 something with a bent loose cantilever, and for some reason the owner had replaced the RCA plugs and not very well, so I had to replace them. Auto-return didn't work which I think is a common problem for these and a simple fix. With a new cartridge (AT95E) it sounds very good. I lived without the auto-return working until I figured out how to fix it. (I have a thread about the fix somewhere on vinylengine - yes here - https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=69561 ). After getting everything addressed it runs very well, steady speed, sounds very good.

The KD-3070 is better than the new AT-LP120 I had previously purchased. Since then I have acquired a Pioneer PL-530. Very similar sound to the KD-3070 to my ears, I just prefer the looks of the Pioneer PL-530.

Since my KD-3070 essentially came without a working cartridge, and the RCA plugs needed attention as well as the auto-return I paid a little more than half of what you're looking at. So for you, as others have commented, it comes down to what cartridge is on it and condition vs. the Pioneer PL-518.

What cartridges are with each table?

All things being equal,
I would choose the pioneer pl 518 but if the kenwood has the better cartridge, I would go for it.

Either way,
You will end up with a nice table.

Good luck.
Thanks! I am feeling a little torn, but it seems it's down to some comparison shopping of the actual items!

Cheers!

I have a KD-3070. If I remember correctly I paid $120 for it. Cosmetics were very good. The cartridge was a Stanton 500 something with a bent loose cantilever, and for some reason the owner had replaced the RCA plugs and not very well, so I had to replace them. Auto-return didn't work which I think is a common problem for these and a simple fix. With a new cartridge (AT95E) it sounds very good. I lived without the auto-return working until I figured out how to fix it. (I have a thread about the fix somewhere on vinylengine - yes here - https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=69561 ). After getting everything addressed it runs very well, steady speed, sounds very good.

The KD-3070 is better than the new AT-LP120 I had previously purchased. Since then I have acquired a Pioneer PL-530. Very similar sound to the KD-3070 to my ears, I just prefer the looks of the Pioneer PL-530.

Since my KD-3070 essentially came without a working cartridge, and the RCA plugs needed attention as well as the auto-return I paid a little more than half of what you're looking at. So for you, as others have commented, it comes down to what cartridge is on it and condition vs. the Pioneer PL-518.
Thanks for the in depth feedback! It's good to get an owners perspective! This helps quite a bit!! Thanks for taking the time!

Cheers!

1) Buy whichever one is in the best working condition - both are quality when new.
2) if #1 equal - what cartridges are on them, and what is availability of replacement stylus (you will want to do get a new stylus)

Keep us posted.

Just curious, did you buy?
I'm looking at a 3070 now and am very interested, has extra carts and headshells, cover is rough

Thanks, I went and got it, came with a brush, 5 carts and 3 headshells and 3 needles (new) the older flip type.

Just curious, did you buy?
I'm looking at a 3070 now ...cover is rough
You might be able to polish a lot of the scratches out. Do a search for various methods. I used extremely fine wet sandpaper followed by a lot of hand polishing with plastic polish. Cleared up my KD5070 cover considerably well.

Back
Top Bottom