Homemade (kinda) speakers from GW... Can you identify?

ghostwritr

Hi all.

In wandering through my local GW tonight, I happened across a pair of speakers that caught my eye thanks to their cabinets being rather crudely made out of plywood & one of them being completely wrapped in plastic wrap - as if they were something deserving of protection despite their somewhat rudimentary construction...

Upon further inspection, it appeared as though someone had taken a pair of vintage speakers that had perhaps seen better days & removed the face from their cabinet & remounted it in some homemade plywood cabs. The faces retained their grill stems & the grills even had somewhat newish looking beige fabric on them.

Suffice to say that, for the $16 they were going to cost, I had to take them home just to see what they were all about...

Upon getting home I immediately hooked them up & they don't sound too bad despite how leaky the cabs are. There are, however, absolutely no branding marks that I can find on any of the speakers and the numbers that are on them offer no information when I feed them to Google.

So I figured that I would toss a couple of pics up here, since there seem to be some folks running around this site that know just about all there is to know about any/all speakers & see what you guys might come up with. You can just ignore the Ducati parked behind it...

Attachments

• IMG_20170516_214107.jpg
    IMG_20170516_214107.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_20170516_214045.jpg
    IMG_20170516_214045.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
The numbers correspond to some Philips drivers I've seen. I no longer have the EIA driver numbering codes but they must still be available on the Web. IME, what you have is a well designed DIY kit speaker. I'd suggest to get inside and inspect the crossover network. It bespeaks DIY from what I'm seeing.

The numbers correspond to some Philips drivers I've seen. I no longer have the EIA driver numbering codes but they must still be available on the Web. IME, what you have is a well designed DIY kit speaker. I'd suggest to get inside and inspect the crossover network. It bespeaks DIY from what I'm seeing.

westend, I didn't know anything about the codes, but thanks to your post I got back on Google & I came up with a couple of sites that seem to agree that the 1056 means that the tweeter and mid were made by Fisher. Then I even found a post on AK to back up what I found through Google, so Fisher it is. Thanks for taking the time to post in my thread.

Now, I just have to figure out the woofer...

A friend's von shweikerts I refoamed are gefco woofers with 1056 stamped on them.

http://www.davelevasseur.com/old/1994 EIA Source and Date Code Book.pdf

EIA code list from 1994.

39 and the other number from the woofer are both on this list but do not seem to be likely woofer manufacturers. Maybe the other woofer is more readable?

I had a Mission vibe looking at the front but I don't know if Mission even made their own drivers.

tox, I'll take a look at both again when I get home tonight & post up what I find. I vaguely remember looking at them both when I had the cabs open, but don't recall if there was a significant difference in readability between the 2.

Thanks for the EIA reference - with that as backup to the older list, I would say that we should now be able to definitively put the Gefco vs Fisher argument to bed & agree that 1056 is Gefco.

Back
Top Bottom