See what I can stir up :-)

As others have said, speakers will probably make the most noticeable difference. I used to have a pair of Fishers from that era, and while they sounded nice, they were definitely on the warm mellow side of the spectrum.
Those Paradigms look pretty nice. Maybe try to find a sub-woofer to go with them?
I have an SX-636, the bigger brother of the 434, and I think is one of the nicest sounding receivers I've owned.

My Fishers sound good, was just looking at a way to improve the system. I won't get rid of the Fishers, might replace them but won't get rid of them!

I would say the CD's sound a little better.

That makes me think that it's worth trying a new cartridge. I'm a big believer in the whole garbage in/garbage out thing, and if CDs sound better than records, it's a good sign that your record playing system could use some investment.

Also, those speakers are really old, have you changed the crossover capacitors? It's another place you could make a big improvement for small dollars.

Use the Realistic receiver. It has substantially more power. Then try some new/different speakers. Or add a subwoofer to the Paradigms. If you do IMO they will sound a lot better than the Fishers.

That makes me think that it's worth trying a new cartridge. I'm a big believer in the whole garbage in/garbage out thing, and if CDs sound better than records, it's a good sign that your record playing system could use some investment.

Also, those speakers are really old, have you changed the crossover capacitors? It's another place you could make a big improvement for small dollars.
I have not, I thought about that and might do it. I've been considering a cartidge/stylus change. Considering the AT95e, Grado Black, and Goldring Elektra, maybe upgrade the stylus on the Omega.

I have not, I thought about that and might do it. I've been considering a cartidge/stylus change. Considering the AT95e, Grado Black, and Goldring Elektra, maybe upgrade the stylus on the Omega.

Consider also the Ortofon 2M Red, if you're thinking of Grado black price range. The Shure M97xE is another affordable winner of a cartridge. I'm not keen on Grados but others are, and you may like them too.

New capacitors in the Fishers will be an audible improvement for sure, if it uses electrolytic capacitors, and would be my first priority. No need to spend lots, I order capacitors from here: https://qcomponents.ca/

Be patient find what you want and continue ! If i had to replace any one item it would depend ,do you listen to cassettes alot, or cd's ?

Speakers!! Your system needs a good boost with something like a pair of Klipsch Forte. You won't blow the windows out unless absolutely necessary.

In a small space I'd personally run the Paradigms by themselves and think about upgrading the receiver.

I have a pair of Atom v3s in the garage and they sound quite a bit more fleshed out when driven with a over-achieving 70wpc Onkyo than with a 35wpc JVC. Granted, that's not a small space.

Beyond the receiver, I'd think about a bigger set of speakers.

As far as speakers go, I think you could easily do worse than the Paradigm Mini Monitor. I'd run them alone, and upgrade the receiver. However, I prefer either newer, or brand new models. If you're set on vintage electronics, listen to those folks recommending them.

Last edited:
I won't get rid of the Fishers, might replace them but won't get rid of them!

Those words sound like the words of a future hoarder but don't worry, you'll have plenty of like company around here. ;) Not that I'm a hoarder or anything like that. I'm going to sell all of the gear that I don't use and I'm going to start selling it next year.

Those words sound like the words of a future hoarder but don't worry, you'll have plenty of like company around here. ;) Not that I'm a hoarder or anything like that. I'm going to sell all of the gear that I don't use and I'm going to start selling it next year.

I prefer to think of it as having another tool in the toolbox.
Yeah it's a pretty big toolbox...

IMHO speakers are the easiest way to get a new sound.

Nobody has mentioned an EQ yet. o_O

What model of HK 330 receiver is it? That would be a nice upgrade, not a big jump in power, but much better. Best of all it can be used strictly as a preamp later. Wonderful looking as well and I think it would be a good match with the Fisher speakers.

What model of HK 330 receiver is it? That would be a nice upgrade, not a big jump in power, but much better. Best of all it can be used strictly as a preamp later. Wonderful looking as well and I think it would be a good match with the Fisher speakers.
Which model of the HK 330 would you recommend? I'm guessing the C??

I had read some good things on here about Coral Speakers. I have a buddy who just picked up a pair of BX-300's at an auction for 6 bucks. Can't pass a deal like that up!! Anyway, I demo'd them right next to my Fisher XP 1A's. Maybe I've been listening to my Fisher's to long but I thought my Fisher's sounded considerably better. Maybe Coral's need recapped? I would imagine both sets do.

After all the advice I've gotten on this I think I've decided to upgrade my receiver. I'm looking for something in the 30-50 watt range and would want something that if there were ever issue with it, it would be repairable, ie...not hard to find parts for. Any recommendations?? I'm kinda leaning towards a Pioneer SX 737 since it's from the same line as my 434 which I really like.

After all the advice I've gotten on this I think I've decided to upgrade my receiver. I'm looking for something in the 30-50 watt range and would want something that if there were ever issue with it, it would be repairable, ie...not hard to find parts for. Any recommendations?? I'm kinda leaning towards a Pioneer SX 737 since it's from the same line as my 434 which I really like.
Had one years ago ! It is a very nice unit. Looks sexy and has nice soft sound. I would recommend it for sure

Back
Top Bottom