What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

So those $5.00 RCA 40-5016's I bought today are working out to be mighty good speakers. They way satisfy my expectations and are giving me that retro sound I've been craving. I've got them right up in my face. The sound stage is really, really sweet. The build quality feels and looks like my Polk Monitor 60 SII's...this was $5.00 so well spent!
011.jpg

Listening to that new Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian: Live set...can't get enough of it.
015.jpg

Last edited:
OK, so I took today off and made some progress on my 1983 Radio Shack Optimus T-110 speaker resto-mod project... I'm installing new woofers, tweeters and crossovers into the walnut veneer cabinets

I already had repaired the factory 10" passive radiators by replacing the original disintegrated foam surrounds with brand new long lasting butyl rubber surrounds about a week ago

I enlarged the tweeter cutouts to fit the new MCM 1" soft domes. I also fabricated hardboard mounting adapters for the MCM 8" poly woofers because the original square frame 8" woofer cutouts were slightly too large.

The old tweeter L-Pads are being bypassed, but still need to be mounted in order to seal the hole in the baffle. I should have these all put together and wired up by tomorrow - looking forward to hearing what they sound like!

index.php
index.php

index.php

index.php
index.php
NICE!!! You're truly transforming the cab's into something amazing.

So those $5.00 RCA 40-5016's I bought today are working out to be mighty good speakers. They way satisfy my expectations and are giving me that retro sound I've been craving. I've got them right up in my face. The sound stage is really, really sweet. The build quality feels and looks like my Polk Monitor 60 SII's...this was $5.00 so well spent!
011.jpg

Listening to that new Fates Warning - The Guardian: Live set...can't get enough of it.
015.jpg
Those $5 speakers look great!

I joined this thread to learn and get new prospective of musical genres. I truly appreciate you veterans that are far reaching in your knowledge and tastes. What could possibly have happened to create a turd in the punch bowl? I really don't care...just keep the music coming!
C2rice, you get my vote for 'Best Laugh In A While.' I got a major 'visual' to go with the "turd in the punch bowl" line.
Er...yeah...um...well, that ain't good. :confused:

It appears the safest thing to do here is just list the record you're listening to and then move on. But, seriously, unless I'm too thick-skinned, I haven't noticed any mean-spiritedness here; in fact, just the opposite.
Agreed Ted. I never saw a mean spirited post on this thread ever. Maybe a poorly worded one or two, and they were both my posts, so whatever.

NICE!!! You're truly transforming the cab's into something amazing.
Thank you! Those old paper cone drivers (especially the tweeters) sounded OK but a little harsh - nothing you'd want to listen to for an extended period of time.
The cabinets are pretty nice, though... large well made towers, real walnut veneer, etc. so I'm hopeful my modest upgrades will breath some new life into them

I'm very surprised to find that I'm still as sad as I am about Chris Cornell's death (sad might not be the right word but I'm not sure what is). I wasn't a raving fan or anything, but I did like his stuff and was a fan of his voice and vocal style. I loaded up my ipad with his stuff (Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, and solo) last night and was listening on headphones when I fell asleep. When I came upstairs to work on my desktop I felt compelled to load my winamp playlist with Cornell FLACs. Listening to Badmotorfinger now.

Untitled-12.jpg

BTW, one for the Deadheads, does any one know of a superior live version of China Cat Sunflower that's available without tracking down a bootleg. I'd prefer a label release
Thanks...last man to bed please hang on the AK flag and pass it off to the early birds at first light Easter Daylight Time .

It's available on WITHOUT A NET from a 1989 live show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom