Empire Royal Grenadier 9000M speakers

I have a pair of 8000P's I picked up last year for a song. At first they sounded muted and had some funny buzzing, but the longer I played them, the better they sound. Apparently they had not been used for a long time and they just needed "exercising". I received the rebuild info from Claude, and even purchased all of the capacitors for a full rebuild, but the way they sound now, I am hesitant to touch them. Instead I am lusting after a beautiful pair of 9000P's for sale on Craigslist, trying to justify buying them. Oh - yes I live in an old house with high ceilings and hardwood floors.

Hi everyone,

I came across this pair of speakers http://postimg.org/image/8xvdmvj77/85c40457/
85c40457
, and can't find anything like like them online. As in wall-mounted grenadiers.

Do we think that someone butchered a pair of the tubular ones and made these, or are they actually a thing?

I have a pair of Cavalier 2000 Empire speakers. While they only have a 10" woofer and a 3" tweeter with a simple cross-over, they are very dynamic and extend surprising low. I do use them for casual listening (classical music as background music) but I enjoy the heck out of them. The Empire speaker concept in general really intrigues me.

We did not sell the Empires but we had a few customers that drove with MC 275's and MC 2105's. Either way they were bright almost being shrill. They were acceptable with the 275's and tube pre-amps. But with one pair with Citation SS amps and preamps was intolerable. Part of it was the room they were located in with its spanish tile floors and hard walls. In any event the top octave was just too much. Bass was surprising ly good from all the 9000's I heard, but the area from 300 to 4000 hz was uneven with some definite weak areas that made the sound just a little strange to me. One customer had Bozak 302's in an adjacent room. And though the Bozaks couldn't compete in the bass or highs above 8,000 hz. The Bozaks gave a much accurate sound to solo instruments and voices. Male and Female voices sounded real while the Empires just didn't get quite right.

Last edited:
A while ago, I restored a pair of 8000Ps. New caps, and sealed all the cracks. The bead-board outer walnut was painted by a former owner (faux marble) to match the tops. I could not strip it. So I painted over it. I really, really, like them with a little B&K ss amp... I just don't hear the shrillness... as a matter of fact, the mids are so much like my ADS l710s, that I put those on top for an A/B comparison... I admittedly still favor the ADS, but not by much. ... and the bass of the Empires... so surprising! IMO.

I picked up a pair of the 6000's today and paired ithem with a Sansui 5500 circa 1972 SS receiver. They have a very warm and detailed sound, two thumbs up.

Is your living room decorated in a classical Greek motif? :D

Love to have a pair of the Empire's. If a pair crosses my path I'd nab'em right up....lol.. They'd make a great Christmas present for the gf...lol

I listened to pairs of Fisher XP-10's, Wharfedale w90's, AR-4x's and Ohm Walsh-2's and the Empire's beat them all hands down...

I will be picking up a pair of 9000Ms this weekend.The parts are mounted on a baffle. Small tear on one woofer.
I will have some fun fixing them up. Going to spec out the woofer and maybe strip it down.

I will be picking up a pair of 9000Ms this weekend.The parts are mounted on a baffle. Small tear on one woofer.
I will have some fun fixing them up. Going to spec out the woofer and maybe strip it down.
Post up a few pics when you get them. Will you replace the woofer?

Notice my avatar...

You will not believe it, but I have a pair in their original cartons in my storeroom (9000M mk2s) with the Alnico 15" bass drivers (9000M is ferrite, Mk2s is Alnico on the woofers). My father bought them at great cost in 1971 and they had a short life, the spiders separated and the voice coils in the mids and tweeters (a modified Philips unit) died.

One day, I will track down a pair of mids and rebuild them as they are the most beautiful speaker you will ever see. The marble tops are gorgeous and I will keep them forever.

It was the Empires, (along with a 398a Empire TT) that I was fascinated with as a little boy- the rest of my HiFi journey followed...

Last edited:
Love the Empire speakers. The GF loves them so if ever a pair of the 9000M cross my path.... I'll probably nab'em... Kudos and I hope you get your 9000Ms sorted.
Best from New Scotland.

There's a pair of 6000's on Canuck,but the seller is a real BSA.

Back
Top Bottom