Suggested mods/upgrades to Technics SL-D2

Mogami W2330 cabling and Rean Neutrik RCA plugs. I bought them separate and soldered the plugs on myself. Cut the cable to match the length of the original cables. I could have taken pictures, but it's a mod I've done so many times I just wanted to test it out ASAP. Sorry about that.

The diameter of the Mogami cable was similar to the original Technics cable. Maybe ever so slightly larger. Still, they fit through the plastic clip that holds the original cables (and ground wire) in place. I did, however, keep the ground wire out of the clip, and used clay to hold it in place.

I didn't pay attention to the capacitance when I bought the Mogami cabling, but I THINK it should be suitable for a turntable. The capacitance is 35 pF/ft.

Even if you decide to go with another cable, look for something that's the same diameter (or smaller) as the Mogami W2330. I chose it because it was super cheap, 21 cents a foot.

Had my D2 on the bench today for that cable mod and decided to weigh it.... with all that clay it weighs 21.2 lbs...... minus the 356 gram clamp of course.....
Sounds even better with new cables...which I didn't think was possible....... Where does this end? :)

I've been spinning my SL-D2 with the AT-95E with good results. I still have the ADC cartridge that it came with and I'd like to try a new stylus with that cartridge also. I'm thinking about purchasing an extra headshell for the ADC cartridge. How picky should I be with the headshell? Only the Technics OEM replacement? Are there other online options I should consider?

There are some Technics style headshells on the Bay that are cheap and work just fine. The Ortofon ones are nice but mucho $.
The ADC is a very nice cartridge and one of my favorites. I use XTIV stylus on mine. It was about the TOTL styli. Check at TVOM and see what Gary has for the XLM MK 11. He had some nos ones a while back. ( TVOM = the voice of music )

There are some Technics style headshells on the Bay that are cheap and work just fine. The Ortofon ones are nice but mucho $.
The ADC is a very nice cartridge and one of my favorites. I use XTIV stylus on mine. It was about the TOTL styli. Check at TVOM and see what Gary has for the XLM MK 11. He had some nos ones a while back. ( TVOM = the voice of music )
Thanks. Yes, I was checking out some of those headshells on the bay. I ended up going with the XLM MK III, but thanks for the info on TVOM. Will look them up next time.

Well once again, I am deeply impressed by the generosity of the followers of this forum (AK in general, and the Turntables sub-forum in particular).

Ironically, the main reason I am moving away from the new Pro-Ject Debut III is the need to spend hundreds more to upgrade it the way I want it. I've heard needeldrops of the Denon DL-110 and loved it nearly as much as an Ortofon 2M Black, but since the Pro-Ject has a steel platter, I'd need to spend $129 to upgrade to the acrylic platter. Then another $129 for the Speed Box, plus $139 for the Denon - that's more than I spent on the turntable!

So here I am, once again looking to upgrade??? :headscratch:

Hey, who said this pursuit was RATIONAL!

I think you've all given me some very sage advice. I was tempted to overspend on upgrades, while the reality is that if I was going to spend that kind of dough, I should have gone for a better table - otherwise I'd be spending money foolishly.

So I'm going to grab the DL-110, I'll look into a wall mount (might not be feasible in my tiny room), I'll re-use the aftermarket mat I bought for my Pro-Ject and compare it to the stock Technics mat. I'm intrigued by the o-ring suggestion, but I think I'll need some pictures to figure it out. I'm going to let my trusted local tech to assemble and configure everything.

Then I'll listen for awhile. And maybe later I'll get a 2nd headshell for the Nagaoka MP-110 as a nice contrast to the Denon, and for use with noisier records (which apparently the Nagaoka is known for dealing with particularly well).

Again, thanks very much! I'm eager to get this new old turntable up and running.

2 years later, this post is still running.. Wow. This is great. Picking up my first turntable today. A used Technics SL D2. Was looking for reviews online for Cleaning.. Repairing.. Etc.. And I stumbled upon this post. Really excited now. Can't wait.

Welcome to AK, :yoda!

You've made a great pick with the SL-D2. Which cartridge are you going to use on it? The Denon DL-110 has gone way up in price since I posted this in 2014, not long after I joined the community here. And the generosity STILL blows me away! Let us know if you need any advice.

By the way, since I posted this, I have acquired a Pioneer PL-707, a Technics SL-7, plus two other tables I'm going to sell. I have vinyl rigs in 3 areas of my home - tiny man-cave where I build airplane models, my office and living room. And I have a nice collection of vintage receivers and amps from most of the major names from the Golden Age of audio, the late 60s to early 80s.

Welcome to AK, :yoda!

You've made a great pick with the SL-D2. Which cartridge are you going to use on it? The Denon DL-110 has gone way up in price since I posted this in 2014, not long after I joined the community here. And the generosity STILL blows me away! Let us know if you need any advice.

By the way, since I posted this, I have acquired a Pioneer PL-707, a Technics SL-7, plus two other tables I'm going to sell. I have vinyl rigs in 3 areas of my home - tiny man-cave where I build airplane models, my office and living room. And I have a nice collection of vintage receivers and amps from most of the major names from the Golden Age of audio, the late 60s to early 80s.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Well, i really have no knowledge about cartridges.. But as far as I know the TT has a Shure M97xE phono cartridge. But more importantly, the TT comes with an amp as a package. I'd like to know which one I should go for. There is a Technics SU V450 or a Denon (of the same age I'm guessing.. I don't quite know the model. Kind of looks like the one in the image). Which one would you suggest..?image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks for the prompt reply. Well, i really have no knowledge about cartridges.. But as far as I know the TT has a Shure M97xE phono cartridge. But more importantly, the TT comes with an amp as a package. I'd like to know which one I should go for. There is a Technics SU V450 or a Denon (of the same age I'm guessing.. I don't quite know the model. Kind of looks like the one in the image). Which one would you suggest..?View attachment 820956 View attachment 820957 View attachment 820958

Welcome to AK. We could always use a Yoda around here.

The SL D2 is a capable table, I have restored one and gave it to my son who loves it. While I like Shure, I am not a M97xE fan --- you will have to listen and hear for yourself.

The Technics is an 80's model integrated amp. Good thing is the unit is focused on being an amp so I suspect the build quality was ok for the time although it is a mass market product. Some info on AK is here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/80s-technics-integrated-amps.438913/

From the pictures it looks like the Denon might be a surround sound receiver. If so it will have more features but if it is too old is will not support todays modern formats either. Get the model number to do a direct compare.

cheers, Bob

My own thoughts are: Install your Nagaoka you wish on a new Technics headshell. Get a better mat if you wish, but put the original away. Set up carefully, enjoy your music. Common sense. P.S. My living room turntable is a SL-D1 (the manual cousin)

Denon made some excellent integrated amps that had nice performance with vinyl, but I agree that this particular unit looks like an A/V amp. If that is the case, it might not even have a phono stage, and you could do much better. I don't know about that particular Technics unit, but Technics in general are under-rated, so that is the one I'd suggest you buy.

You will find that people have their own tastes in cartridges, and personally I find Shures to be kinda boring - but still, it is a well-regarded cartridge that you should be happy with. You can always upgrade the stylus later to a JICO SAS stylus. (One of the things I was surprised to discover when I got back into vinyl a few years ago is that the STYLUS is far more important than the CARTRIDGE body).

Hello all,

I know this is a bit off topic, but after going through 19 pages of threads in the archives I figured I'd revive this thread since it seems to have the most knowledgeable SL-D2 owners that may be able to help.

I just picked up a SL-D2 the other day that is in very good cosmetic condition. When turned on it lights up but doesn't spin the platter. I went through it and cleaned the switches and pots also found that capacitor "C1" was blown and replaced it. The replacement cap immediately burned out. The power TX ohms out ok (I think) and the deck seems to ohm out ok as well, so I'm kinda stumped as to what the problem is.

I just wanted to ask if any of you veteran SL-D2 owners have run into this and if so what is causing the cap to blow? I'd really hate to part this thing out so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Agree pass on a AV receiver, plenty of 2ch analog receivers with very good phono sections that can be had for cheap.

Hi All,
View attachment 747441 View attachment 747443
The Sorbothane feet were purchased from an eBay seller. They are 2" 50D half spheres. The spring feet were the first to go..... I also believe that replacement of the spring feet has further decoupled the base from the upper housing since there are no more screws on the outer 4 corners..... Now I can have ladies dancing in my living room and they never make the record skip.

As for the clay........ I will say this...... How and where it is applied is completely up to you.
Also, please make sure you are getting modeling clay that wasn't designed for kids.... The first store I went to had modeling clay that was somehow scented so I went to another with different clay that didn't smell.....

Started by softening the clay on the hood of my car until it was very pliable.
I started packing clay into the corners of the "upper half" of the plinth, basically pressing it into place where the plastic ridges are, trying to cover as much of the internal plastic surfaces as possible while avoiding coming too close to all internal components. Once I had a thin layer applied I just began to "fortify" the corners and "empty space" with more clay. Keep the level of the clay well below the ridge for the base...... Pardon the different colors.....Had to get what was on the shelf.
View attachment 747441

On the base, I used rope caulk and packed it into the valleys. I probably could have covered the area that I left blank, but it is right below the auto return gear which I did not want to interfere with. YMMV.............
View attachment 747443

It doesn't look pretty but it sure as heck deadened an otherwise "hollow" turntable.

Hi All,
I too have been modifying my Technic SL-D2 turntable and I have access to a solid sheet of 12"X12"X 1 1/8" thick Sorbothane. Could I use that to dampen the hollow inner cavities of the plinth?

Just joined this group for the sl d2. I was able to pick it up a few weeks ago. Had to replace the stylus and the mat. Total investment was about $75. Tried to find something new with the same qualities and the best deal I could find was $300. Hope to give the o rings a try soon. Thanks for all the great info!

Back
Top Bottom