Yamaha PX-2 - Upgrades??

jdubs

Hey Guys

Just picked up a Yamaha PX-2 that I am LOVING. It had a bunch of check-up / refreshing work to get it operating like new.

It sounds really terrific with a DL-160 cartridge.

Thinking about next steps with it. It uses the same feet at the Technics SL-1200, right? Should I swap in something like Isonoe feet?

How about a power conditioner? Helpful with a DC motor?

Thanks for any input!

Jim

Congrats on the px-2 their a nice rig. I run the at95 cart. Love it great sound for a budget cart. The guy I got mine from had 2 power conditioners, not sure if there's really a need for these anymore, would love to see pics, mine runs good, only thing I've done is clean and condition the belt..good luck

jdubs forget about changing the feet and adding a power conditioner, where you will get your money back is with a very nice cartridge, my PX-2 came with a Grace F9 Ruby. The Denon DL-160 is also a very nice cartridge. Any table should be sitting on a very heavy solid stand or wall shelf, the PX-2 isn't no light weight. No excuses for not having a decent stand for the table, last week in the local SA thrift store I noticed a very heavy solid oak stand perfect for a turntable for all of $15.

Yes-
jdubs forget about changing the feet and adding a power conditioner, where you will get your money back is with a very nice cartridge, my PX-2 came with a Grace F9 Ruby. The Denon DL-160 is also a very nice cartridge. Any table should be sitting on a very heavy solid stand or wall shelf, the PX-2 isn't no light weight. No excuses for not having a decent stand for the table, last week in the local SA thrift store I noticed a very heavy solid oak stand perfect for a turntable for all of $15.

DO NOT change the feet! They work wonderfully to damp the table from footfalls and feedback! Don't assume Yamaha didn't fully understand the problem when they did this!
And forget a power conditioner. It will do nothing in this application
But a record cleaning machine, a good preamp, and a great cartridge will absolutely sing on this machine!

DO NOT change the feet! They work wonderfully to damp the table from footfalls and feedback! Don't assume Yamaha didn't fully understand the problem when they did this!
And forget a power conditioner. It will do nothing in this application
But a record cleaning machine, a good preamp, and a great cartridge will absolutely sing on this machine!

I think this sums my feelings up quite nicely, too!

Another reason not to change the feet is if they are lost the value of the PX-2 is going to take a hit. When designed serious thought and materials were put into it, building a table like this today would be almost cost prohibitive. The PX-2 is not a run of the mill table and prices for ones in nice shape are going to keep going up, leave it stock from the factory, the PX-2 can get the best from some seriously good cartridges in the $1,000+ range.

Much appreciated, guys! Hey, I'm not going to argue with NOT spending more money....but I do like to tweak things if better performance can be found.

Oooh, how about a record clamp? Maybe something low profile like the Michell?

-Jim

Original factory accessories for a table is one thing, I don't remember any for the Yamaha PX-2 off hand, tweaks are another thing, most clamps/weights are a waist of money as I'v found out with no better performance realized. A very good table like the PX-2 wont need them and I don't purchase dished/warped records to start with.

Majick is right on the money, and money should be spent on a better cart first (if anything). This is not a tweakers table...it's pretty amazing as is. Eventually the limiting factor is rumble/motor noise, but it's not what I'd call a problem. It's just where the "line" is that makes you eventually say "if I was to pick a weakness and want something better, this is the driving force behind that". Took me 10 years to get there by the way, and I still have it. I figure when I get old and feeble and can't deal with conventional arms any more, I'll break this foolproof table out again and enjoy it in my twilight years :).

But don't wait for me...keep it spinning now!

jblnut

jblnut: "This is not a tweakers table...it's pretty amazing as is. Eventually the limiting factor is rumble/motor noise, but it's not what I'd call a problem."

Gosh, you must have good ears!
spec is S/N 080dB IEC 98A weighted; W/F: 0.01% WRMS (FG direct)

I do...and a GT2000 that replaced it. It wasn't meant to slight the PX, but everything has a limit and the PX's is that motor and bearing. Come hear the GT then disagree with me. I am not the only PX2 owner to move up to the GT here either.

I did use the word "eventually" right? and mentioned that I've owned it over 10 years ?

tough crowd...

:)

jblnut

Thanks again, guys. I'll guess I'll just enjoy it and look to upgrade my phono preamp (Emotiva XPS-1.....now hunting for a iFi iPhono2) and perhaps cartridge.

Btw, I can't get over how silent of a background the PX-2 + DL-160 combo presents. It is pretty unreal. My vinyl has never sounded so good!!

-Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom