Uturn Orbit Review

Soundork

This is a review of the U-Turn Orbit.

I was on a quest to upgrade a Sony PS-T3 deck from 1979, which I bought few years back from a Goodwill equivalent store located in Southport, CT.

I grew up pour, but now enjoy the ability to live comfortably and be able to occasionally buy a new thing or two and having a long life experiences with second hand items that wouldn't work as advertized, it was natural for me to ignore the advice given here on numerous occasions that the used route is the way to go if you want to spend less than $1200.

I bought and returned, because of quality issues the following turntables:

Fluance RT81

Akai Professional BT500

Denon 300F

Uturn Orbit Red with Acrylic Platter and Grado Black

The Uturn was the worst, while the Denon was at least a league above the rest in terms of performance.

I also listened to the Project Debut Carbon and Sony PS-HX500, but felt that the only thing they had more to offer than my Sony was a marginal improvement in looks.

Back to the Uturn

I was excited upon seeing the package waiting for me in the kitchen. But this did not last long as upon opening my first impression was: "Ugh, this base doesnt look anything like the pictures on the website". The red was a coat of very flat paint with a pinkish tint to it and it looked like someone sloppily splattered it all over with a roller. I was still an optimist at this point in time and was thinking that from few feet away, under the dim light no one would notice neither the pinkish tint nor the roller marks.

Second disappointment was when I saw the cover hinges. "What a joke" I thought, but then quickly dismissed it with another thought that the manufacturer had to cut costs somewhere in order to bring superior performance at a reasonable price. I was really glad that it was the hinges and not something really important.

Finally, all was up and ready to go. I did like its proportions, but that feeling soon vanished, when I realized that I am having more success placing the needle on the record by hand than by the cue lever. It would skip the first few grooves about 95 % of the time:

Then there was the platter wobble:

I wasnt seriously concerned, as I knew that Uturn provides great support. They responded to me the next day asking to provide the videos I just showed you. The plan was to tackle an issue at the time, so I was being sent a new platter and spindle as they acknowledged that the platter has at least couple of mm deflection and their own standard is no more than half a mm.

While I was waiting for the replacement platter and spindle to come, we worked on the second issue where the needle skips the first few record grooves and apparently someone decided after watching my video that it was a cartridge issue, so they sent a replacement cartridge couple of days after the platter and spindle were sent.

At the day of the arrival, I immediately exchanged the defective parts with the new ones and what a disappointment that was: The replacement platter was even wobblier than the one the turntable originally came with. I did some creative parts exchange and found out that the least wobble occurs when I use the combination of the new platter and old spindle (still way above the 0.5mm they strive for).

How did it sound? If I were conducting a blind test, no one would differentiate the Uturn from the Fluance and the Akai when listening at low levels. Then my attention turned to the massive hum the turntable produces. The video below compares the plastic fantastic Sony to the Uturn. The amplifier is a Denon DP 1060. The speaker is two feet behind the phone.

And this was the moment I decided to say "I've had enough".

I understand how people want to like it, because of the story of how it was conceived, but what Uturn delivers is a subpar product that deserves to be forgotten by and with time. And if I were Steve Guttenberg..well never mind...

One would think that this was the end of the story: Yes, they took the turntable back, but did not refund shipping charges and it was explained to me that it is per their return policy, and "because I was having issues with the turntable". At that point I was happy that it was over and wasnt going to argue over $20. But I do take offence by the statement, because I gave them a chance to fix it, but they failed short of delivering a table that meets their specs.

Last edited:
PsT3 was my first table around 1978. Not a bad unit actually. Are your gel filled isolation feet still squishy after all these years?

Sorry about your Uturn experience. Others seemed to have better experiences, but others not so much.

Sorry to hear of all your troubles.

Of course, if you had bought a $100-$200 Technics, spent 20 minutes with Deoxit and bought a new stylus and new belt if needed, you could have most likely been enjoying spinning some vinyl rather than trying out and returning all those turntables.

:p

Buddy of mine bought an AT LP5 a while back. Seems pretty nice for brand new. It was $450 with a modified AT95 cartridge. I would have likely bought a Musical Fidelity Roundtable when they were being closed out for $300 or $350, but he didn't like the modern aesthetic.

He seems happy.

Last edited:
I've really only been in the hobby for 4 years and all of my turntables have been used. The two best sounding units so far have been a JVC QL7 where I upgraded the tonearm to a Fidelity Research FR54, damped the platter with dynastic extreme, installed a 6mm thick aluminium mat, and a Ariston RD110 SL with Fidelity Research FR24 tonearm and cork mat.

Basically without spending at least $1,400 Australian (take 1/3 off for US pricing) to upgrade a used table, you really don't get fantastic performance.

I now have my first brand new table coming since a Denon DP300F which I'm hoping will be a step up over my two best. A S.A.M Aldebaran turntable with Calista II tonearm from Croatia. Once more, take a 1/3 of the price off for US pricing.

I've found that the better the cartridge used and able to pick up more detail and nuances, the more likely it is to pick up external vibration. I expect the JVC and S.A.M turntables are the only two I'll hang onto despite the Ariston being a stunning and great sounding table.

I'd have to agree. The Denon DP300F is simply not a great table though it is very good compared to other new tables in its price range. An inexpensive table like a Dual 1228 absolutely slays it though for a fraction of the cost, and an inexpensive cartridge like the JVC Z1-S is in moving coil territory when paired with a Jico NeoSAS/S.

Of course even with currency conversion my pricing is out of whack for used gear vs the US. Australia has simply never had the large domestic market to push the value of used gear down by that much. Decent used gear is hard to come by, unless it's a Dual. So many of those around.

PsT3 was my first table around 1978. Not a bad unit actually. Are your gel filled isolation feet still squishy after all these years?

Sorry about your Uturn experience. Others seemed to have better experiences, but others not so much.
Believe it or not, the feet still work as they were working in the day the turntable left the factory. I remember reading somewhere that the cavity inside is gel filled.

Sorry to hear of all your troubles.

Of course, if you had bought a $100-$200 Technics, spent 20 minutes with Deoxit and bought a new stylus and new belt if needed, you could have most likely been enjoying spinning some vinyl rather than trying out and returning all those turntables.

:p

Buddy of mine bought an AT LP5 a while back. Seems pretty nice for brand new. It was $450 with a modified AT95 cartridge. I would have likely bought a Musical Fidelity Roundtable when they were being closed out for $300 or $350, but he didn't like the modern aesthetic.

He seems happy.
I ended up getting almost mint, fully reconditioned Denon DP 1200 for a lot less than what I paid for the Uturn. So I guess the story does have a happy ending after all...:)

I've really only been in the hobby for 4 years and all of my turntables have been used. The two best sounding units so far have been a JVC QL7 where I upgraded the tonearm to a Fidelity Research FR54, damped the platter with dynastic extreme, installed a 6mm thick aluminium mat, and a Ariston RD110 SL with Fidelity Research FR24 tonearm and cork mat.

Basically without spending at least $1,400 Australian (take 1/3 off for US pricing) to upgrade a used table, you really don't get fantastic performance.

I now have my first brand new table coming since a Denon DP300F which I'm hoping will be a step up over my two best. A S.A.M Aldebaran turntable with Calista II tonearm from Croatia. Once more, take a 1/3 of the price off for US pricing.

I've found that the better the cartridge used and able to pick up more detail and nuances, the more likely it is to pick up external vibration. I expect the JVC and S.A.M turntables are the only two I'll hang onto despite the Ariston being a stunning and great sounding table.

I'd have to agree. The Denon DP300F is simply not a great table though it is very good compared to other new tables in its price range. An inexpensive table like a Dual 1228 absolutely slays it though for a fraction of the cost, and an inexpensive cartridge like the JVC Z1-S is in moving coil territory when paired with a Jico NeoSAS/S.

Of course even with currency conversion my pricing is out of whack for used gear vs the US. Australia has simply never had the large domestic market to push the value of used gear down by that much. Decent used gear is hard to come by, unless it's a Dual. So many of those around.
You sir, belong to the audiophile category. I am not there yet. My goal is to have something decent looking, of reasonable quality, with reasonable performance with which I could enjoy my record collection...:)

The Uturn was neither.

I saw a U-Turn on display in a Crate and Barrel(of all places), I played around with it for a few minutes and was not particularly impressed for what it cost. I guess you have to shell out large $$ to get quality these days. For the same money you can get a bullet proof vintage deck

You sir, belong to the audiophile category. I am not there yet. My goal is to have something decent looking, of reasonable quality, with reasonable performance with which I could enjoy my record collection...:)

The Uturn was neither.

Perhaps, I think I'm just a little OCD is all. Besides, you're always curious about how good things can sound no matter how good your system is. I think I've hit the upper limit of what I can afford..... For now at least ;)

I'd definitely take a look at used tables though. The best performance seems to come from tweaking the heck out of a solid platform. I feel my JVC has more potential than the Ariston so it's the one I'll keep. The Ariston is a real looker though

The U-Turn gets recommended often because it's U.S.-made, comes in bright trendy colors, and has a low entry price. And some people like how stripped-down and minimalistic it is. But just because it's U.S.-made doesn't necessarily mean the quality control is any better than turntables mass-produced in the Far East, and once you load it up with enough options to make it comparable to other turntables, it no longer has any price advantage -- especially compared to the Denon DP-300F, which can often be found on sale for less than $200.

The skipping upon needle drop could be because the U-Turn has fixed anti-skating, so you never know if it's not enough or too much, especially if you replace the phono cartridge with something other than what it originally came with.

Also I believe the counterweight doesn't have any markings on it, so you need a stylus pressure gauge to set the tracking force correctly.

From the video, it looks like you're dropping the needle on the outer lip of the record instead of the lead-in groove. Of course it's gonna jump. That's not how you cue a record.

Also, the hum is most likely from the Grado cartridge, not the Uturn turntable. Those Grado Blacks are notorious for their hum.

I'm not tying to be a jerk, but if you bought four brand new turntables from four different manufacturers and returned all four of them, wouldn't it maybe occur to you that the problem lies elsewhere, and not with all these brand new units?

I'm not saying they didn't all have issues, maybe they did, but that's kind of hard to swallow.

Last edited:
@Soundork Man sorry to hear that. I have an orbit custom and the hinges do bother me, but I haven't had any of the problems you discribed. I went with the Ortofon OM 5E. I built my own phono preamp and its dead quiet, so is the Orbit. Recently I had to replace the rca cables on one of my sons TT's. And like the Orbit, has no ground wire. His table had a bad hum through my system when I was done. With the system I set him up with no hum. Could be a grounding issue? Still, if I had the issues you did I would have sent it packing as well.

Soundork all the entry level tables with the UTurn included would not be appropriate for anyone that has had experience with the better vintage tables, they are all built to a low price point for todays market place that's geared to first time buyers with no prior experience with turntables. I'm tending to agree with Benricci that maybe you should be looking in the mirror re the shortcomings with all these new budget tables. It's either be very selective when choosing a vintage table that has a long standing reputation for quality build and sound or be prepared to spend as you said a minimum of $1,200 for a new well designed/built/sounding table.

I read this [about Grado hum] so often I dont understand why Grado is such a popular brand?

Short answer: Because Grado cartridges can sound magnificent if you install them in a turntable that doesn't cause them to hum. I actually changed turntables some years back, from an AR XA to a belt-drive Technics with a DC servo motor, because I liked the Grado sound. Upgrading the bonded elliptical Green stylus to an 8MZ took the cartridge to an even higher performance level.

From the video, it looks like you're dropping the needle on the outer lip of the record instead of the lead-in groove. Of course it's gonna jump. That's not how you cue a record.

Also, the hum is most likely from the Grado cartridge, not the Uturn turntable. Those Grado Blacks are notorious for their hum.

I'm not tying to be a jerk, but if you bought four brand new turntables from four different manufacturers and returned all four of them, wouldn't it maybe occur to you that the problem lies elsewhere, and not with all these brand new units?

I'm not saying they didn't all have issues, maybe they did, but that's kind of hard to swallow.
I dont think you have been a jerk, it is a legitimate question. These are the reasons why I returned the other decks:

Fluance RT81 - really loud pop through the speakers upon power up. The replacement table had exactly the same issue. I hear it has been fixed now. At the time it just had come out in the market. I bought one of the first units.
The Akai had a loud hum, overwhelming the music content.
The Denon's plate was warped, just as much as Uturn's

I guess I dont have much luck with new turntables. I wasnt even looking, when I came across the Denon DP1200 and it has been a fantastic purchase.

Best

P.S. It was one of the requirements that for the video I dropped the needle on the flat part, not on the lip. I dropped it right in the middle or about a mm inward from the lip.

Last edited:
I read this so often I dont understand why Grado is such a popular brand?
I dont know what others would say, but I assumed that since its price is on the high side for entry level cartridges, it must be good. And besides, I really liked the looks of it.

Back
Top Bottom