What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I tend to buy everything used, so that I can buy more. That has its advantages and drawbacks. I just bought a denon DVD unit that also plays super audio cd's. I have a small number of mfsl cd's and it's possible that some might be hybrids. I would like to hear what a sacd sounds like. Can anyone tell me how to determine if I have any hybrids? UPC codes or whatever.

Hmmmm. Why do I feel like this post of yours is going to be controversial, LOL. I’ve got two copies and it looks like they’re both stereo. They don’t say they were electronically re-channeled or anything. Interesting. I didn’t think stereo technology existed in ’59, but I really have no idea. It seems like with rock, you don’t really see much stereo until the mid-60s. The mono versions are usually preferable because the stereo versions were either “electronically re-channeled” (2 bastardized mono mixes, hard panned), or all the mix elements were hard panned (the Beatles’ Revolver is a perfect example) because mixing engineers hadn’t figured out what to do with stereo yet and were going crazy with it.

Anyway, all I know is my stereo copies sound amazing.
The first commercially available stereo records came out in 1957. I have both mono and stereo vinyl pressings of Time Out and it's not re-channeled. The stereo version has an expansive soundstage with more separation with the instruments. It's more life like. I have other mono/stereo versions of other albums, Beatles, Stones, etc. I have two ears, I much prefer stereo.

Vince Guaraldi Trio ‎– Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus. 1962
2010 CD Remaster

Vince-Guaraldi_JazzImpressionsOfBlackOrpheus.jpg

K95d6_s-200x150.gif

I tend to buy everything used, so that I can buy more. That has its advantages and drawbacks. I just bought a denon DVD unit that also plays super audio cd's. I have a small number of mfsl cd's and it's possible that some might be hybrids. I would like to hear what a sacd sounds like. Can anyone tell me how to determine if I have any hybrids? UPC codes or whatever.

Joe, the letters SACD should appear either on the case and/or on the cd itself. It usually states that this SACD can be played on a regular cd player. Also, your DENON should automatically default to SACD if it's a hybrid disc.

Joe, the letters SACD should appear either on the case and/or on the cd itself. It usually states that this SACD can be played on a regular cd player. Also, your DENON should automatically default to SACD if it's a hybrid disc.

Thank you. I think I may have turned up a couple. My copies of workingman's dead and pet sounds both say udsacd with a number in very small print on the lower right of the back. As soon as my Paula Cole cd finishes, I'll give these a try. This is somewhat exciting.

Hi Autoanalog, I Looked at your system again, very nice - I'm sure the tubes are keeping nice and toasty warm :) In your avatar, there is a pack of American Sprites Yellow Box, exactly what I prefer. I'm down to three packs - How do I fetch the pack out of the bear trap without getting my arm lopped off, LOL :)

Running an air conditioner in the listening room seems mandatory during the Texas Summer, let there be no doubt. Temperatures of 100° or more will arrive very soon.

Down to three packs, you say? Cheers!

Well I hope Paula doesn't get mad at me, but about halfway through I couldn't wait any more. To the best of my knowledge and memory, I am now listening to a super audio compact disc for the first time. The Beach Boys and Pet Sounds. You were right Mac, the machine defaulted to the sacd setting. Simple as pie. For those of you who find this stuff fascinating, the entire system I picture here was bought at tag sales. The pioneer cs99a's were the most expensive at forty dollars. Everything else brings the total up to about a hundred and seventeen. Of course the gas for my truck could push the costs up into the thousands. I've been hitting tags and fleas for forty plus years. Oddly enough though, most of this system was bought locally and within the last three weeks. Just a good run, I guess. My gawd, this sacd sounds good. Hard to keep my mind on my typing. image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom