Electrical question.

It is likely a connection issue somewhere in either the plug, circuit, or possibly an incorrectly wired circuit. Sometimes DIY folks can get the meaning of the grounding conductor and grounded conductor confused. If those were swapped somewhere in the circuit, the return path would likely be going through earth. Depending on what is plugged in, an incandescent lamp may seem OK but a piece of electronic equipment might just balk at it. I think one of those "u ground" testers with the 3 lights on it should tell immediately if there is an error in the circuit.

Last edited:
Old outlets had lots of plug insertions. The contact fingers got spread apart and will not always make contact. The fix is either a new outlet (less than a buck in hardware) or !!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't do what is after this unless you have the know how to avoid getting killed!!!!!!!!!!! figure out how to bent the contacts back.

I have done it both ways in fixing the problem.

Before you go off to buy new USB receptacles check the size of the wall boxes - primarily the depth. Older homes typically have fairly narrow and shallow boxes, just big enough for a standard receptacle and a bit of wire. The USB receptacles I've seen are a lot bigger than a standard receptacle.

I bought two USB receptacles to put in a couple key locations and they were too big to fit inside the existing wall boxes. Width wasn't the show stopper (although close), depth was the big road block. Ended up returning them since it would have been more work than it was worth (to me anyway) to make them fit.

Same thing here. I have replaced every outlet in this house, and I decided the bedroom needed a USB outlet. Wrong! After managing to get it in, I turned back on the power and it smoked out. I guess something came loose during my attempt to fit it back in.

Old outlets had lots of plug insertions. The contact fingers got spread apart and will not always make contact. The fix is either a new outlet (less than a buck in hardware) or !!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't do what is after this unless you have the know how to avoid getting killed!!!!!!!!!!! figure out how to bent the contacts back.

I have done it both ways in fixing the problem.
I wouldn't even worry about spreading the contacts back out. You can get a new outlet for like 78¢ at Walmart.

There is pro and con on fixing rather than replacement. It depends on time spend, knowledge, and skill level.

Pro for fix: about 5 minutes if you know what you are doing. No need to take anything apart.
Con for fix: One has to know what and how to do it safely or one gets killed.

Pro for new: It is new, will have all the advantage of being new stuff.
Con for new: One has to know what and how to do it safely or one gets killed. It takes about 10 to 30 minutes to take the old one out and put the new one in (depending on what a person sees once it is open up).

Back
Top Bottom