Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD player - worth pursuing?

sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a question on the SACD portion of this player, is it only 2 channel?? I thought the whole reason for SACD was 5.1 sound?

No, the whole reason for SACD is better sound than standard CDs. Some do multichannel, some don't.

I enjoy SACD for both improved quality over CD on my 2 channel systems as well as 5.1 surround on my HT system for music. I didn't think I would care for 5.1 music before. After setting it up, I prefer surround music over stereo most of the time. Even CDs played in ProLogic II Music sounds amazing.

Have a later Sony that plays SACDs. After that format sort of won Sony acceded to read it. A few Blu-Ray players still do too, and since the shift away from physical media distribution they are dirt cheap used. :thmbsp:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/248072/Sony-Dvp-S9000es.html?page=17#manual

This particular Sony relies on the receiver to do the surround decoding. Regrettably I don't think surround SACD will work on this unit. It's worth it for the SACD sound anyway but surround would be even better if you have the setup.
You might be correct. I put in a SACD and it played but DSD was displayed on the screen. I bought it primarily because it was heavy duty and built to last. Even Made In Japan. I generally listen in 2 channel.

Love the way these sound. But all the ones I had where picky on playing the SACD layer of a hybrid disc.

I have a NS999ES Japanese version, sounds great and picture quality is good. I had to pay around $200 US for mine here about 6 month ago, so if its cheap enough go for it, the only draw back is video playing, no HDMI.

Back
Top Bottom