Is five months a normal time to wait for tube amp restoration? (Analog Engineering Associates)

Jack, have you asked for your Pilot back yet? How long have they had it?

BillWojo

I did ask for it back, but then I changed my mind.....He told me they were moving the operation and are even researching coming out with new AEA gear....Alas, I think I might ask for it back again...But even then, they take long...

I don't get why communication has to break down so much...Its beyond comprehension or excuse...even if I was dying , I would let people know whats going on if I had any of their property...They have it since December 12...My last email from them was April 26th through the aea gmail acct.

I sympathize; all it would take is a notice on their website that they are moving.

Moving at 40 years of age is a catastrophe, moving a Large household and a business at age 70+ is impossible. I would urge those without an oar in the water to withhold their disparaging comments.

I am hanging in there as there is no disputing the thoroughness and quality of their work...

UPDATE:

As mentioned previously, AEA finally responded and worked with me to make sure that the ST-70 was completed in the time frame I had proposed. It was completed last week and sent out last Saturday. Things had shifted, and I was hopeful that things were finally on the up-and-up!

Well, I got the amp back today...

Long story short: within five minutes of plugging it in and admiring the warm tube-y glow with my 7-year old daughter, it blew up.

Yep. A Loud POP!, then thick belching smoke from inside the chassis, near the left front EL-34. I quickly ran to unplug the amp (funny what goes through your mind in these moments—I was actually thinking "hmmmm, I'd like to *not* get electrocuted in front of my daughter...") After a minute of trying to figure out what the hell just happened, I grabbed my camera and filmed a shaky, somewhat panicked video:

It might not be the best filmmaking, but it shows smoke coming from the corners of the chassis (the worst had already dissipated—)

Man, I feel really bummed out—I really wanted this ordeal to finally be over; to be able to at least edit out AEAs name from the title of this post, and write about the great work that AEA had done (in spite of the long series of delays...). Very unfortunately, I can't do that.

I do feel confident that AEA will honor the "Gold-Level" warranty that came with the work, but I really don't feel comfortable sending the amp BACK for repairs; dealing with packing and shipping, and another possible months-long delay.

Any advice?

(And just to be very clear, I'm *not at all* trying disparage the good and important work that vintage audio techs do—this is clearly about one instance with one tech outfit on AK...)

I'm also uploading some pics I took of the amp as I was unpacking it (it was packed well—) to give a sense of the work done. It wasn't as "tidy" as I'd think it should be, but I don't have much experience, so others can comment on the quality...

*Edit for clarification: the old tubes and a ziploc bag of the replaced caps were packed loose within the cage during shipping. I realize that this may have caused some of the "untidiness" of the replaced caps/resistors...

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

Last edited:
Pics of the underside?

I wouldn't send it back. I'd demand my money be returned, including shipping. Get someone thru here to fix it, if it's salvageable.

This is just sad.

That's ****ed. I was hoping for better but wasn't optimistic.

Hopefully you paid with a credit card? Contact them and ask them what they will need to open a claim and round up all this to document your concerns regarding a complete refund and not sending it back to the hacks.

Man,
I am bummed for you. I'll refrain from casting stones. I think AEA has suffered here too. I don't know what the right answer is. I'd hope they'd pay both ways shipping and repair for free and put it in the front of the line, I completely understand your apprehension. If someone nearby is willing to put this one to bed for the greater good, that might be better for everyone (even if AEA paid them for their trouble. Take a deep breath this will all work out.

Bass, I would source a good local tech and get the resistor or cap replaced, and the amp tested on the bench, and run in for two hours. I would then take the bill and have your credit card company run the back charge through on AEA.

You don't want to burden him during his move, he doesn't want this albatross to return, and this path is the shortest way to a win- win situation.

If he balks, I would backcharge the entire amount. First he dawdled, then he rushed, and he missed something. I would not go to the well again. If you can, handle it with grace and tact, and I am sure he will be amenable.

Well at minimum you should ask for ALL your cost back, and that should cover bringing it into a local shop to have it repaired.

I would send them an email and link them to this thread on the largest vintage gear site.

What's with the seemingly cooked solder joints below and to the right of the #5 sticker? Board looks like it got pretty toasty.

That's just sad. I do have sympathy for the struggles of a few people (or just one) trying to make a go of a business, but there are situations where you know you simply cannot afford to make a mistake, lest your reputation suffer significant harm. Getting the unit back to you by the agreed upon date and working perfectly was one of those situations. As a consumer you gave him more chances than many would have and, for whatever reasons, they were squandered. Now it's time for you to get your amp fixed properly and him to take a step back and try to repair his reputation.

Bummer, if they can't fix an amp as easy as that, I wouldn't send it back to them, just get a refund.

What's with the seemingly cooked solder joints below and to the right of the #5 sticker? Board looks like it got pretty toasty.
While it does look dark, by now most original st70 driver boards are dark around tube sockets.
Without pulling bottom, based on the smoke location and the event description, i suspect one of the bias e caps

Back
Top Bottom