What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Yeah brother, pretty soaring chorus and nice guitars on that one..that period seems like the last gasp of quality FM for the time being..Maybe someday it will return. I sat in a Quiboda having a meal today and the overhead music was so bad and so juvenile I almost walked out..How can people listen to a three chord vamp with a drum loop and no changes with a 10 person chorus singing a hook for 5 minutes, followed by the exact same format of a song over and over and over. It's the musical version of participation trophies...you suck but we'll play it anyway..
last night i played some live Chicago and other stuff, and all i could think was, "this cant be created today with mediocre players in a studio, then brought out live" if you watched the live Doobie brothers i posted last night, my god what a group of musicians , they would play just as as good in a garage playing on junk equipment, they were not manufactured, you had to be able to play, sing , and write music really really good.

Last edited:
Three tracks into Common Thread: The Music Of The Eagles.

Now this is not bad AT ALL. The musicians are not falling into the trap of pretending that they are The Eagles, but instead are bringing their own talent to the music. After listening to this and the Black Sabbath cover that I acquired last week, I might have to change my attitude to cover versions.

Next up comes from a guy who may be completely unknown to most people here, but trust me, he is incredible. Daniel Lavoie is French Canadian, and starred in the rôle of Frollo (the priest) in Notre Dame de Paris (Plamondon/Cocciante based on the work by Victor Hugo). French music does not seem to travel well in the English speaking world, and I think that is a pity because I've found some beautiful work in the language which I know would appeal to many.

Here he is, with Garou and Patrick Fiori performing "Belle" from Notre Dame.

I found this disk at a local thrift store and figured the price of $2.00 made it a "must have".

Daniel Lavoie - Ici

View attachment 938712
The music is composed by Riccardo Cocciante, italian composer :)

Howdy boys, I've taken a few days off from AK while contemplating whether I should even be here or not or perhaps should be on another planet as was suggested earlier this week. :dunno:
Anyways, Gregg Allman's passing got me to listen to my scant Allman Brothers material, and I know how big a fan of ABB Swamp Pirate is, so I thought I'd add my bit of remembrance.
collage.jpg

My wife is a massive Gregg Allman fan. I honestly think it has little to do with his music and more to do with his looks! His long blonde hair and blue eyes on THAT face along with the whiskers under the lower lip and the voice...that look and voice makes her knees quiver.
I broke the news to her after catching up on the thread tonight after work...I've been reading, just not posting or liking. She couldn't believe it. I told her that she's lost her Gregg and I've lost my Greg (Lake).
The music of The Allman Brothers Band is in a class by itself. I call it Southern Prog Rock. It comes at you from multiple angles...jazz, blues, rock, classical, delta, folk...you name it and chances are you'll find it there.
Glad to see your back with us. Now, Need the blue light vibe, We know all is good!!

Do it!!

Yeah brother, pretty soaring chorus and nice guitars on that one..that period seems like the last gasp of quality FM for the time being..Maybe someday it will return. I sat in a Quiboda having a meal today and the overhead music was so bad and so juvenile I almost walked out..How can people listen to a three chord vamp with a drum loop and no changes with a 10 person chorus singing a hook for 5 minutes, followed by the exact same format of a song over and over and over. It's the musical version of participation trophies...you suck but we'll play it anyway..

Sorry I knew the band but I just listened to the link and had this mixed up with another tune by these guys, but still a cool tune...

Howdy boys, I've taken a few days off from AK while contemplating whether I should even be here or not or perhaps should be on another planet as was suggested earlier this week. :dunno:
Anyways, Gregg Allman's passing got me to listen to my scant Allman Brothers material, and I know how big a fan of ABB Swamp Pirate is, so I thought I'd add my bit of remembrance.
collage.jpg

My wife is a massive Gregg Allman fan. I honestly think it has little to do with his music and more to do with his looks! His long blonde hair and blue eyes on THAT face along with the whiskers under the lower lip and the voice...that look and voice makes her knees quiver.
I broke the news to her after catching up on the thread tonight after work...I've been reading, just not posting or liking. She couldn't believe it. I told her that she's lost her Gregg and I've lost my Greg (Lake).
The music of The Allman Brothers Band is in a class by itself. I call it Southern Prog Rock. It comes at you from multiple angles...jazz, blues, rock, classical, delta, folk...you name it and chances are you'll find it there.

The place wouldn't be the same without you, Frank. I spent a bit of time this week removing myself from every social media I could remember joining...except AK. This place is special because there are real people here, like you.

Hi Brother Frank. Please do not leave us as your are a great person and most welcomed here! Your absence now would create a tremendous "void" in my most beloved thread. I will PM you shortly. -Chris
I'll be around Blitz. There's too much cool on this thread for me to stay away. I just have to remember in the future that when someone posts a picture of their listening space that I can't reply in any way lest it be a trigger for condemnation. This is twice now, third time will be the charm.

I'll be around Blitz. There's too much cool on this thread for me to stay away. I just have to remember in the future that when someone posts a picture of their listening space that I can't reply in any way lest it be a trigger for condemnation. This is twice now, third time will be the charm.

I'll have to post an up to date pic of mine. You can rightly refer to me as a messy bastard that couldn't find Beethoven's 9th with both hands and a roadmap. (It's true)

Back
Top Bottom