Recommendations for budget 78rpm turntables?

Shakedown

I am on the lookout for a great turntable to archive my collection of 78 shellacs, ironically not many noted modern audiophile machines have that option.

All reccomendations welcomed, I do not know where to begin. I think I would like to go vintage, belt or idler driven preferred and pitch control is a must.

$500 < is really the class I am shooting for, on a budget.

* Turntable :D

Last edited:
Garrard Type-A is a good reliable table for playing 78's as the 78 headshell swaps out for a 33 headshell just like the newer turntables. Can't say that the more expensive ones play any better, just look better. Then a period correct Pickering cartridge for that table may just out play the newer ones also. There probably is something newer, but I doubt better....

I am on the lookout for a great turntable to archive my collection of 78 shellacs, ironically not many noted audiophile machines have that option.

All reccomendations welcomed, I do not know where to begin. I think I would like to go vintage, belt driven preferred with an independent suspended subchassis.

I believe your avatar is an Empire turntable with 78 rpm.

253687.jpg

Might want to do a search, this topic has come up several times. I use a Dual 1019, I like the smaller form factor as it is a dedicated 78 table in my setup. I think most of the recommended TTs are either idler or direct drive.

Might want to do a search, this topic has come up several times. I use a Dual 1019, I like the smaller form factor as it is a dedicated 78 table in my setup. I think most of the recommended TTs are either idler or direct drive.

Of course I did find an old thread right after posting this one, that's always how it goes. :confused:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/looking-for-good-78-rpm-turntable.325319/

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/elac-miracord-tt-share-all-about-em.390203/page-2

Last edited:
My Dual CS5000 does 78's, is a semi-auto, decent arm, easily swappable headshell and easy on the eye--it is also a quartz-locked belt drive suspended table, so that should fit the bill in the $500 market.

I would recommend a Dual CS5000 as it fit's your 78 rpm and belt drive requirements, not a whole lot feature both...

AHHH, I see that Savatage got the jump on me, what he said ^^ :)

Just as long as it's not direct drive to be honest with you, I would look into an idler.

Last edited:
The Empires will spin 78 RPM's but the heavy shaellac could bottom out the suspenssion'

Yes, that's true for the 498, 598 and 698. The turntable in the OP's avatar is the 398 which does not have a suspended sub-chassis.

I recommend manual, it needs pitch control (very important for pre 1932 shellac), your arm needs to be easily capable of tracking at 3 grams or higher if need be and to easily change cartridges and styli as needed. You need something which takes standard headshells. The cheapest good 78 friendly turntable would be the Audio-Technica AT-PL 120 USB. And I'd budget for a Shure M 44 or a Stanton 500, and specialty 78 styli to go with it. Belt driven suspended subchassis is best for modern records and not for specialty needs. The arm you need for 78 is not suited for such applications. So, bear that in mind. This advice is coming from someone who is professional and who is a broadcast engineer and archivist with over 42 years of experience in the art of vintage record reproduction. A good place to begin would be to look at Esoteric Sound's website.

Last edited:
I am on the lookout for a great turntable to archive my collection of 78 shellacs, ironically not many noted audiophile machines have that option.

All reccomendations welcomed, I do not know where to begin. I think I would like to go vintage, belt driven preferred with an independent suspended subchassis.

* Turntable :D
I wouldn't recommend belt-drive for high-torque applications like spinning 78-rpm records. Think idler-wheel or direct-drive. That still leaves you with quite a few options.

Just as long as it's not direct drive to be honest with you, I would look into an idler.
I have a direct-drive turntable for spinning shellac, and it works just fine. I also have an idler-wheel deck that I sometimes use for the same purpose. Considering you can get new and durable direct-drive turntables for less than $400, avoiding this option doesn't make any sense.

Idler-wheel turntables are also the worst choice from the standpoint of rumble, ceteris paribus, coming in third behind direct-drive and belt-drive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom