Thoughts on the SGT pepper 50th remixes

I've listened to the blu ray 5.1 mix and I am blown away. It's almost like hearing this album for the first time. The songs sound so big. I'm hearing parts that I don't remember hearing before. I am looking forward to listening to the out takes and other versions that are on the cds.

I picked the vinyl up today and compared it to some US rainbow labels and the 2014 mono release. For me, this new mix is like hearing a completely different record. It is THUNDEROUS. But for me I'm not sure this new version will kick the early versions to the curb.

On the one hand, there is a TON more detail in the new mix, but the way it's presented wasn't as satisfying to me. In the early versions there is a hard left/right panning for some pieces and the two channels play against each other creating a dynamic that I found to be more engaging in the early versions compared to the new mix.

There's a lot going on in this record, and in the early mix it takes close listening to pick everything out. In the new mix, all those elements sit in neat compartments. It's much easier to hear what they are, but they often felt isolated from each other. And because they are so clearly defined, the record has lost some of its mystery for me. George really DOES say "..we're all one" and not "marijuana". Good to know I guess. The new mix is like comparing the answer key of a "Where's Waldo" picture to the puzzle. I'm asking myself: "is the clarity better or was it more fun to try and parse it out myself"?

But oh my God that bass! The focus on Paul's playing is the big addition here along with Ringo's cymbals. The bass lines thrum and rumble which was fun to hear tonight, and I'm curious to see how that holds up over time. I usually like the bass to sit lower in the mix than it is here.

I am amazed at how much was on the original tapes. I used to excuse the muddle of the early mix to generation loss forced by limits of four track recording in 1967. But that's not true. The backing vocals, sound effects, overdubs and orchestration is crisp and clear, which shows, I think, how ham fisted the original stereo mix was.

For me, this mix is so different from what I've known Sgt Pepper to be that I can't see it replacing the original. Instead, it will probably be a variation on the theme: original mix, mono reissue and this new record. Different options for different moods.

Great review dcmfan !! The clarity is awesome. Everything is noticeable even the most subtle guitar parts. Paul's bass is right out front along with ringo's awesome rolls.. and your right that these won't kick the original mixes to the curb but I definitely know which version I'll be listening to for awhile to come. I have the lp otw.cant wait to spin it. I listened on Spotify yesterday. Wait till you hear the original takes!! It's like Whoa.. the Beatles sound like a bar band on those lol

I picked the vinyl up today and compared it to some US rainbow labels and the 2014 mono release. For me, this new mix is like hearing a completely different record. It is THUNDEROUS. But for me I'm not sure this new version will kick the early versions to the curb.

On the one hand, there is a TON more detail in the new mix, but the way it's presented wasn't as satisfying to me. In the early versions there is a hard left/right panning for some pieces and the two channels play against each other creating a dynamic that I found to be more engaging in the early versions compared to the new mix.

There's a lot going on in this record, and in the early mix it takes close listening to pick everything out. In the new mix, all those elements sit in neat compartments. It's much easier to hear what they are, but they often felt isolated from each other. And because they are so clearly defined, the record has lost some of its mystery for me. George really DOES say "..we're all one" and not "marijuana". Good to know I guess. The new mix is like comparing the answer key of a "Where's Waldo" picture to the puzzle. I'm asking myself: "is the clarity better or was it more fun to try and parse it out myself"?

But oh my God that bass! The focus on Paul's playing is the big addition here along with Ringo's cymbals. The bass lines thrum and rumble which was fun to hear tonight, and I'm curious to see how that holds up over time. I usually like the bass to sit lower in the mix than it is here.

I am amazed at how much was on the original tapes. I used to excuse the muddle of the early mix to generation loss forced by limits of four track recording in 1967. But that's not true. The backing vocals, sound effects, overdubs and orchestration is crisp and clear, which shows, I think, how ham fisted the original stereo mix was.

For me, this mix is so different from what I've known Sgt Pepper to be that I can't see it replacing the original. Instead, it will probably be a variation on the theme: original mix, mono reissue and this new record. Different options for different moods.

Some of the other Remasters are like that..Abby Road..hard panning, Or vocals in right channel, And some mysteries gone. But I prefer the better dynamics's. Your review backed up my decision too buy it. Thanks

Last edited:
i've got a vinyl copy on its way. should be here tomorrow or wed. looking forward to hearing the new mix and earlier takes. been a beatle fan my whole life and was never aware that the original stereo mixes were such an afterthought. any good sources for the original mono mixes?

My lp should be here tomorrow also. I'm excited to here it on vinyl . It better not be cheaply pressed on recycled vinyl. This has potential to be amazing on vinyl. Spotify sounds great so my fingers are crossed.

My lp should be here tomorrow also. I'm excited to here it on vinyl . It better not be cheaply pressed on recycled vinyl. This has potential to be amazing on vinyl. Spotify sounds great so my fingers are crossed.

According to the dynami range database, the vinyl has somewhat better dynamic range than the CD, so it should sound good. That's the reason why I opted for the vinyl version.

Mine won't arrive for a few days, so looking forward to hearing how it sounds from those of you that ordered it.

received my records yesterday and listened last night. i really like the stereo remix. within you without you was especially nice, but the entire album was a joy to listen to. I haven't listened to much beatles in a long time but i find this the most satisfying record purchase i've made in quite a while and will be listening more.
I would recommend the new pepper record to any beatle fan (and even to those who 'outgrew the beatles pop sound'. It is just some really good pop music. listen and enjoy it for what it is :)

I listened to it on Tidal HiFI last night. VOL 2 sounds like the boys are in the freakin' room!!! Ringo's kick drum is simply amazing (see sig). love it LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!! I bought this album the day it came out in Park Forest IL. I was 11 at the time. I used my paper route money and pedaled my bike for miles to pick it up. AMAZING sound, amazing performances.

I ordered my vinyl copy from Amazon yesterday (along with the "Long Strange Trip" ST) and expect delivery tomorrow. I streamed it from Amazon at work using nothing but my workstation's speaker and even then I could tell it was something special. Brought my headphones in tonight for a closer listen. Can't wait for the weekend when the wife is tending a neighbor's cats and I can put it on the speakers. I might even be tempted to hook up the new (old) DCM TF-1000's I'm auditioning on Saturday if I decide to buy 'em.

I've had the MFSL Beatle's Box since it came out and it's been my reference ever since. Regardless of the controversy re those half-speed masters and the stereo remasters released a few years ago, I still tend to regard the MFSLs as the definitive pressings. (Perhaps because of the cost of those remasters?). But I absolutely love the remixed "Love" ST and I know I'm going to love this Sgt. Pepper's too. Did someone above say "redo them all"?

I got my CD yesterday and gave it a spin. I did not expect too much difference in the quality. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. Amazed really! Like most of the previous comments I also believe the improvement in the clarity of the bass is the single most improvement. The detail revealed in the bass is amazing, and I'd like to know how they did that!! The vocal clarity was also amazing. It was quite easy to hear in the vocals when the double tracking would kick in. All the little details previously hidden in the old muddy mixes.

Kudos to all involved and I hope they re-mix the entire collection in the same quality!​

If you haven't heard this yet (or even if you have) I have a suggestion. Play the vol 2 version of a song first (or even half of it) and then play the volume 1 version. "Fixing a Hole" is perfect for this. I guarantee it will blow your mind!

Can't wait for the weekend when the wife is tending a neighbor's cats and I can put it on the speakers

Well, I couldn't wait so I threw the vinyl on late this morning and was in Pepper Heaven until "She's Leaving Home" when there was a loud "pop" followed by another "pop" and then a skip. I flew over to the turntable and pulled the record off the platter and, sho' 'nuff, there was a big old hairy something that looked like a scratch but was much wider! And it extended almost to the inner wax! I was so bummed that I didn't even listen to the other side or even the 2nd disk. It's winging its way back to Amazon even as I write this.

But I'm stoked. This record is awesome!

I got my CD yesterday and gave it a spin. I did not expect too much difference in the quality. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. Amazed really! Like most of the previous comments I also believe the improvement in the clarity of the bass is the single most improvement. The detail revealed in the bass is amazing, and I'd like to know how they did that!! The vocal clarity was also amazing. It was quite easy to hear in the vocals when the double tracking would kick in. All the little details previously hidden in the old muddy mixes.

Kudos to all involved and I hope they re-mix the entire collection in the same quality!​

Abbey Road, in a remarkable degree of foresight, saved not only the mixing masters, but all of the previous generations (they only had four-track machines and had to do bounce-down mixes to get more than four-track effects - while their engineers were masters at avoiding detail loss and hiss in the trip through multiple generations of tape, something is still going to be lost in the process). Giles Martin backed up and used the very first generation tapes, with the cleanest sound, to create the new stereo mix from his dad's notes from the mono mixing sessions. Apparently those first-generation tapes had never been touched since the bounce-down mixes were created during the recording sessions.

Back
Top Bottom