Pioneer HPM200 - Parts and Restoration Question

Jerry's TV

Hi all... I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of project HPM200s. I haven't seem them yet, but my understanding is cabinets and grills are fair. Tweeters, mid-range and crossovers are there but untested. both sets of drivers are missing.

My questions for today are...
1) are sets of the 10" drivers out there somewhere for a reasonable price? or unobtainium?
2) if driver cores are found, are voice coils and cones restorable?
3) Can tweeters and mid-ranges be restored and how easily?

When I'm done I'd like to have invested "market value" in them. If i can't get them to OEM condition, I'm not likely to start and I'll look for something more complete.

I can buy them as is for about USD$250.

thoughts?
Thanks for any comments,
Brian T

Hi all... I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of project HPM200s. I haven't seem them yet, but my understanding is cabinets and grills are fair. Tweeters, mid-range and crossovers are there but untested. both sets of drivers are missing.

1) are sets of the 10" drivers out there somewhere for a reasonable price? or unobtainium?

When I'm done I'd like to have invested "market value" in them. If i can't get them to OEM condition, I'm not likely to start and I'll look for something more complete.

thoughts?
Thanks for any comments,
Brian T
I'd offer him $100 and that's all.Then you'd have $200 in to them after parts

A working pair complete original can go for $2.5K. The drivers are going to be the hard part in restoring. Even if you had the drivers replacing surrounds and cone material makeup make them a very difficult project.
My guess you have a parts purchase not a speaker one.

Barney

thoughts?
Thanks for any comments,
Brian T
Drivers are pretty much unobtainium.
The mids and tweeters may be repairable and if actually function correctly I suppose you could find a couple nice 10" 8 ohm woofers and have Bill Miller of Millersound install a 16 ohm voice coil in one of them.
and hope for the best soundwise.

Last edited:
Drivers are pretty much unobtainium.
The mids and tweeters may be repairable and if actually function correctly I suppose you could find a couple nice 10" 8 ohm woofers and have Bill Miller of Millersound install a 16 ohm voice coil in one of them.
and hope for the best soundwise.

Hi -- it turns out i waited too long and they sold the day after they were listed. Maybe the new owner will show up here and join in??

Thanks for the input. I was disappointed when i missed them, but with your comments it sounds like it was for the best. I would only have wanted OEM drivers and that sounds like a challenge.

Great forum!
Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom