A High End, Heavy Iron AMP OFF! McIntosh, Acrosound, & HK

Andy, there's going to be a round 2. I see no reason why we can't get a few more local AKer's to join. Cost of entry is an amp for listening that we don't have in our stable(s)...yet!

MC60s fit the bill?
(There's a pair of recently restored MkIIIs and an ST70 but i'm not sure if they make the pedigree?) Doubt they'd win but, also i doubt they'd be embarrassed:idea:

Andy, there's going to be a round 2. I see no reason why we can't get a few more local AKer's to join. Cost of entry is an amp for listening that we don't have in our stable(s)...yet!
I dunno where this is being done, Jon may have a Marantz 8 if he's in.

Yep, wonder where it came from.
Looking at the skiz for it and the Acro UL-II, the 8 has a stage less 'stuff' and only one cap directly in the path for each phase pole in 'test'. Assume Sid spec'ed the opt order for the best Acro could make.

BTW, been trying to figger out why he used 6BH6 pentode in triode mode instead of a triode front end as in the model 2. Best I can guess, the internal construction provides exceptional shielding of g1 compared to the typical triode. These amps are spooky quiet.

I'm doing assisted home care here with my S. O. amongst other commitments, so, not for the foreseeable future, but thank you for the invitation.
The two amps that seem an obvious entrant in any comparo are something by Marantz, and Mac UC examples. Others from the Golden Age as well as later (Bob Carver, Dennis Had, ect) would make it interesting, but, yes, gotta have a Marantz 8 /8b and /or a pair of their monoblocks.

I wondered what the poor folk were doing. :) I'm going to have to read this a couple more times, but did you all ever listen to the Acros in pure pentode? I like UL just fine, but those Acros can (and do) sound mighty fine wired in pentode with a separate regulated screen supply. I have some in an all Acro Allens wired for UL with 6L6s, and some wired in Pentode regulated with 7591s. Both are pretty good sounding amps. I would have loved to be in that room for awhile.:music:

Hi Jay,

All Acrosound amps we listened to were wired as original. No change in schematics really.

So you have a schematic of what you have done? I am very interested.
For Allen Acrosound you mentioned, they used a TO300 right?
Or are you talking about the mighty Allen Organ 75 with the Acrosounds OT?

They sure did. The TO-350 had a tertiary winding to provide UL operation at a reduced B+ level for the screen grids. The transformers are a 100 watt design, primarily intended for the UL operation of 6146 tubes.

Dave

They sure did. The TO-350 had a tertiary winding to provide UL operation at a reduced B+ level for the screen grids. The transformers are a 100 watt design, primarily intended for the UL operation of 6146 tubes.

Dave

Now that is not a tube that comes to mind when you think UL.Considering that it was a transmitting type that predated widespread television use,I wonder just how many sweep tube designs were influenced by this little critter? A separate winding for the screens,well that's a cute solution for the low VG2 rating.

The original Ampeg SVT ran 6 of these,with almost 700v on the plates but only around 200-220v on the screens,and running essentially class ''B''.Good for 300-350 clean watts.

I have always had a soft spot for this stubby little guy.Good performance and great looks,plus, who doesn't love a plate cap?:)

I think their limitation if you will, is that they were not a very strong tube with regards to their internal structure, and some were well known to be rather unstable as well. The tube went from the original 6146, to the A version and then to the B version in rather short order in trying to chase the ghosts out of it. But I think it, and the 807, were some of the first decently high powered tubes that didn't take thousands of volts to produce the power.

Dave

The 807 was an upgraded 6L6 and had a relatively low screen voltage limit. The 6BG6 was an 807 on an octal base, intended for television line sweep service. Afaik, the 6146 never saw tv service.

x3workshop, what is your set up for the comparison? Speaker, preamp, etc. thanks. I am in the process getting 2nd pair of MC30 for bi-amp, man, can't get enough of those babies!

Back
Top Bottom