If the polydomes are cracked is the speaker bad?

loudnclr

AK Member
I have a set of infinitys with the milky polydomes that are cracked does that mean they are bad, they sound good still but will they sound better with new ones. I cant imagine them sounding 200 bucks better with a new set from Miller sound

The surround on a polydome is the same material as the dome. If the dome is cracked, then the surround will have stiffened up enough to shift the driver's resonance. I found it much easier to balance the driver levels for good sound on my 9's after having the polydomes rebuilt by Millersound.

Last edited:
Hello which models do You have. Please send pics if u can. I haven't had mine done yet as they have not cracked but will do so when ready. It's worth it from what I'm reading. I have 2 really good sets and would love to do an a +b comparison.

I thought Miller Sound no longer repaired Polydomes. I'm glad to see they are.

Time to start looking for a pair of "bad" polydomes, get them repaired, and have a set for that inevitable day.

Time to start looking for a pair of "bad" polydomes, get them repaired, and have a set for that inevitable day.

It's not so much as a repair, as a total rebuild, with new (non-original) dome material. Not sure about the physicality of it? How Bill attaches everything to the voice-coil? But, since it's Bill, I'd trust it!

Just what I need, another pair of big towers...

A hunt for 9 Kappa, or 8 Kappa will ensue...my wife will be reserving me a room in the goofy patch.

After having a set repaired by Bill recently, he told me that if the polydome is too far destroyed, ie there's no yellow stuff left visible, that he doesn't repair those anymore. Something about a 5 mil vc clearance and seriously tough to do. So be careful buying used ones that they aren't totally destroyed. That all being said. if you know Bill, he's a super nice guy and may have mercy !

i sent my polydomes from my kappa 8 to millersound last march
when i got them back installed they sounded "ok"
i called bill and he said you are breaking a new speaker give some time
now i couldn't be more satisfied
brings the kappas back to life
next my mid bass coupler is going to get done

Bill at Millersound rebuilt the polydomes for my Kappa 9s, and recommended reducing the 'stuffing' behind the driver by 50%. I wonder if he recommends this for the 8s?

It was actually Loretta, in an email, that told me:
"You may want to discard half of the stuffing behind the polydome and fluff-up the balance."

When I asked about that, she wrote:
"After extended listening you’ll find the following improvement:
When a passage of music gets loud, they will remain as clear, as at lower volume.
If one chooses to play music very loud, they will not suffer from the mild doppler distortion, from the previous “floppy” dome (mostly center area), not following voice coil movement.
Also, the hard, reflective face of the magnet, now has four strips of damping material (unevenly applied) and cavity behind the dome is stuffed. This has to make a difference, even without the superior dome."

I'm guessing it's a balance between the cabinet stuffing and the fill that was added behind the dome.

Last edited:
Bill and Loretta know there stuff. Thanks for sharing that. If I were ever fortunate enough to find a pair of kappa 9 I would get them to rebuild the mids for sure.

Back
Top Bottom