Got my Eight today.

Jon D

Been wanting one for some time now. Finally found one in my budget on ebay no less. Arrived safely today and I am not disappointed. Very nice condition, only missing one button label. Bit of a fixer upper though. Dial was stuck on the right.When I popped the lid I was relieved to see the tuning string intact. Couple turns on the tensioner now it works fine. Ad also said no sound and some burnt out lamps. I haven't done any testing other than plugging it in with a dbt. Bulb did not light up. I am planning on cleaning the switches and pots, and setting voltage. Hopefully it is gonna work. Any advice on getting her going is surely welcome. Just wanted to share my joy as the wife and kids aren't as excited as me.20170613_213035.jpg I also have and Eight Deluxe. Didn't come as cheap but I had to have it. They surely are awesome recievers.20170304_024525.jpg

After a day of listening I must say I like the sound of this receiver. Reminds me a lot more of the 4000 I grew up with than my Dlx does. Which is exactly what I was figuring on when I bought it. They may have to share time in the living room. Wife already said I can't put em both there. :whip:

Have the receiver taken down a bit for cleaning and new lamps. I have green led on the way. My Dlx has white led and I am not fond of it. Little too yellow for my taste. I ordered a set of 7v filament bulbs for my deluxe and they showed up. Put em in the eight just to get a look. Ahhhh. Sansui green. I may not use the green leds. Will probably wait and give those a look too though. I am sure itching to get this thing back together and get listening to it again. 20170619_223357.jpg

All back together with green led. Only issue is leds for meters are white. I will eventually be making some changes there. For now, I am gonna enjoy this thing. I love it and hope it stays happy.20170622_024351.jpg

YA! those are really nice receivers, worked on several of them years ago when I worked at a place that did Sansui warrenty. Been kinda half-heartidly looking for one myself. The right one will come along eventually. Enjoy it.

I lied. Looks like I am gonna work on it some more. Did a quick a to b with my hk 730 as I was swapping it out. On the big end the 730 was way to close if not better. I love my 730 but that should not be. So I decided to check the bias. Up at about 40mv on both channels. I have read every post I could find on here with voltage setting procedures for this amp. I am scared to do it but getting close to the point where I feel comfortable to do it. I have done other receivers of mine, but obviously this one is tricky. Glad I discovered it before I put this thing into regular use. One question I do have is that does this reading mean anything outside of the amp needs adjustment?

Have the receiver taken down a bit for cleaning and new lamps. ... I ordered a set of 7v filament bulbs for my deluxe and they showed up. Put em in the eight just to get a look. Ahhhh. Sansui green. ... View attachment 953478
I'd pay good money to know the approach you took to get to the fuse lamps! I had my faceplate off, and the graduated dial was glued down to a frame...I tried removing from behind the dial chassis but no room due to the radio gang box. Making me think I had to tear down the thread pulley system and I didnt wish to do so.....can ya lend a Sansui brother a hand?

The Eight bias is fairly easy to set as you only use VR803, whilst measuring over the fuse holders for a mA reading. The problem is the current balance adjustment (which is unique to the Eight but also what allows it to sounds so good) and the DC-offset as these adjustments affects each others. Trying to follow the manual is confusing and has brought many a tech to his knees. But, you are in luck - check out this post from one of our resident techs, Trnsfrmr.

I had read Trnsfrmrs post and thought I could pull it off. I was wrong. Blew the fuse in my meter and the bias must have went sky high. The left channel got real hot. In the end the bias on that channel was up around 16mah. Couldn't get it to adjust down. Right channel was just under 9. I was really upset with myself, so I took it to a repair shop. I have successfully recapped and set voltages in a few of my other receivers, but this one got me. Live and learn I guess. Just hope it's not too expensive a lesson. Thanks for the tip about the lights homebody. I may give it a try when I get this thing back. :(

... Thanks for the tip about the lights homebody. I may give it a try when I get this thing back. :(
Do try it...its the absolute fastest and easiest way to correct any illuminating issue. Lasts forever...as long as there is ample room for venting, its the only way to deal with lighting correction (from bright to dim that is)

Back
Top Bottom