OMG New Lenses for Cataracts is Amazing!!!!

KingBubba

"Too Much Stuff"
I had my lens replaced in my left eye on Monday and today the had a look to see how the surgery went. It is healing quickly and I am not having any of the scratchiness associated with the incision site.

What is astonishing is the sharpness and colors. White is REALLY white and color are bright. I never realized how so much time outdoors and on the ocean could effect what I see. Comparing the left/new to the right/old is incredible. I had no idea how much I was really missing because the change happened so slowly over the years. I am considered young for this procedure, 65, but between Summers on the Ocean and working in the lighting field on the stage, it took its toll. I get the second one done on Wednesday next week and I can hardly wait. To those of you that are putting this off, all I can say is why wait?

Last edited:
I had my left eye done in January, but the cataract was caused by an accident that left my eye permanently dilated and some minor nerve damage. Prior to the surgery my sight in that eye was 20/400. It's now 20/30, far better that the doc thought.

The surgery was painless, with no after-effects whatsoever. Problem is the other two issues with my eye can't be corrected, so what I have is as good as it will get. The halos are a little weird, though.

I had my lens replaced in my left eye on Monday and today the had a look to se how the surgery went. It is healing quickly and I am not having any of the scratchiness associated with the incision site.

What is astonishing is the sharpness and colors. White is REALLY white and color are bright. I never realized how so much time outdoors and on the ocean could effect what I see. Comparing the left/new to the right/old is incredible. I had no idea how much I was really missing because the change happened so slowly over the years. I am considered young for this procedure, 65, but between Summers on the Ocean and working in the lighting field on the stage, it took its toll. I get the second one done on Wednesday next week and I can hardly wait. To those of you that are putting this off, all I can say is why wait?
:thumbsup: Good for you! Two things I noticed when I had mine done: that fine gray print is really black; and my depth perception came back.

I am also noticing the there is a very pronounced color shift or perception difference. I have pills that a week ago were blue. I now find that they are green. If I look with my unchanged eye the pills are blue, but with my new lens eye the pills are green. This is very odd to me.

I had my lens replaced in my left eye on Monday and today the had a look to se how the surgery went. It is healing quickly and I am not having any of the scratchiness associated with the incision site.

I had to have it done on both eyes at around the age of 45..was pretty much legally blind in my left..due to putting it off, fear I guess. It was a breeze and like you..holy shit what a difference it made..congrats:beerchug:

I am also noticing the there is a very pronounced color shift or perception difference. I have pills that a week ago were blue. I now find that they are green. If I look with my unchanged eye the pills are blue, but with my new lens eye the pills are green. This is very odd to me.

I'm a bit surprised it's not the other way around. As the natural lens ages, it turns brown, blocking blue and violet more and more. Implants come in at least two varieties, clear and UV-blocking. These differ in the amount of deep violet and UV they transmit. Both of mine are UV blocking. I have a friend who got one clear and one UV blocking, and (particularly under daylight) he sees differences in some fabrics that reflect UV. He has a tan jacket, cotton with a synthetic knit collar. The collar appears purplish in the non-UV-blocking eye.

I have read of blue-blocking lenses, but I don't know how common their use is. I definitely wouldn't have wanted them because of my reputation at work as the video artifact and color guru.

Photo-gray glasses block deep violet and UV also, enough that I can see a slight amber tint to my glasses with my UV-blocking implants. When I had one eye fixed and the other with the natural lens, I could not see the slight eyeglass tint in the unfixed eye, because the natural lens blocked UV even more, and everything in that eye appeared yellowish.

I had my right eye done today and it is opposite to the first one. I cannot see anything out of it. I'm a bit worried. o_O

Today I am seeing better except for the drops they used this morning. I can see the screen on this laptop, but not the keys without a good bit of blur. On the way to the Dr. my wife drove and I practiced reading signs. This distance vision is the best since I wore contacts back in the early 80s. It is kind of exciting.

My left eye has developed a very odd visual effect. It started on Monday and I went to the eye doctor today. It is apparently nothing bad, but I am finding it very annoying. What is happening has to deal with floaters. I am used to floaters and know what they are, but recently I am having floaters that are very odd. The first development I had is a floater that is a pinpoint black dot. It is like having a period floating in my eye. Next I developed a floater that is a circle, like a visible "O" floating around in my eyes. The next thing I am seeing happens when I look far left to far right, or visa versa, and I get a floater wave of blurred vision, which, when I am in the dark is accompanied by a flash on either side.

Flashing is a symptom of retinal detachment and this had me running scared. The Dr. checked my eyes and explained that all of these symptoms are not serious and he gave me a printout that explained all of these things and why they were not serious. They may not be serious, but they sure are annoying.

The circle and the indescribable blob is caused by a vitreous detachment. This has nothing to do with the cataract surgery, apparently. The shreds of the mostly clear vitreous will over time degenerate and float to the bottom of the eye and cause no vision disturbance. This degeneration has no schedule or time expected. It can be somewhat eliminated by laser surgery. My hope that this will just dwindle away naturally. We'll see how it goes.

I thought it was good to update all of this to my thread; so that people who are interested may become educated in case they have this coming there way in the future. Here is a web page from an ophthalmologist office that gives a good account of this situation.

http://www.eyefloaters.com/eye-floater-types

The difference after a cataract op. is unbelievable. I can really see far and clear. I can also drive at night without the oncoming glare clouding everything.
Another change was the new heart valve installed 3 months later. Between the 2 op's I am changed.

Over the next month or so, I'm having cataract surgery in both eyes. One was much worse than the other, but they're doing them both. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll need reading glasses once they do the surgery.

If you are willing or able to do the blended lenses, it is worth the extra $. My right eye sees, from about 8 ft to infinity, clearly. the other eye sees from the television to the keys of the laptop, on the bed. Your brain does all the work of which eye does what and you can't tell that it is doing it the great majority of the time. It is pretty damn cool. So far, I have not needed to wear glasses for anything except tiny print, like the telephone # on the back of my Visa card.

Back
Top Bottom