I just dropped the HK 430 I got for my brother

Due to my new cataract replacement and my inability to properly judge distances yet, I, about 30 minutes ago, thought I was putting my high end Japanese binoculars on the table but actually was way off and dropped them on the floor from waist high. The large lens ring is badly bent and because my vision is still kind of screwy, I can't tell if the prism is dislocated. You are not alone. I hope you find your parts.

Oh man, you have my fullest sympathies, you sound like a real good brother..I hope the universe will provide, and find what you need to fix it.

Can't imagine how you feel. I've restored a few things to give away to someone close. Feels great when you see the smiles on their faces. You will find a replacement I am sure. Might not be easy but you'll get there. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks so much for all your replies. I am sure I can spend $150 for another as they aren't that expensive, but it was just the shock of the whole thing - plus it is hard to find one in good repair that looks good. I hope I can find one. One just went up on ebay so maybe I'll grab that one if it doesn't go for too much.

Due to my new cataract replacement and my inability to properly judge distances yet, I, about 30 minutes ago, thought I was putting my high end Japanese binoculars on the table but actually was way off and dropped them on the floor from waist high. The large lens ring is badly bent and because my vision is still kind of screwy, I can't tell if the prism is dislocated. You are not alone. I hope you find your parts.

I'm so sorry man! My dad makes the lenses for stuff like that, and he talks highly of Japanese binoculars so that's horrible!

I've done exactly that. Twice. One Kenwood KR-4070 (expendable), one Drake R-4B (almost cried). I have since gotten in the habit of wrapping up the cord and plugging it into one of the outlets on the back panel, or pulling the IEC cord.

That sucks. I really like detachable power cords for this exact reason - nothing to do with performance, but they are a lot more convenient when moving gear.

I've done exactly that. Twice. One Kenwood KR-4070 (expendable), one Drake R-4B (almost cried). I have since gotten in the habit of wrapping up the cord and plugging it into one of the outlets on the back panel, or pulling the IEC cord.

ALMOST cried?

oh, right. Me too. I almost cried too.

:dunno:

ALMOST cried?

oh, right. Me too. I almost cried too.

:dunno:

The whole chassis of the KR-4070 twisted lengthwise, if you get the picture, plus a few bent shafts. Everything still worked but I couldn't get the cover back on.

The R-4B, no kidding, had a dented corner and that was pretty much it. Hitting my lower leg probably broke the fall. American made quality.

I just read these and answered the other posting also. I see that it's been a while, but if you're still in need, contact me.

I almost did the same thing with my B2x last night. I usually wrap the cords up but didn't out of laziness. Somehow I managed to not drop nearly 60 pounds of amplifier but my back has let me know it's displeased.

The sound of a vintage receiver hitting the deck is most sickening. I am lucky enough so far to have never dropped a piece. However, one evening a buyer was leaving with a Sansui Eight. I resumed watching TV and heard a load thwack from the street. The poor guy had dropped his new to him Eight.

I was fitting in new LED bulbs into it and was going to give it to him as a gift for his birthday when we go visit him in 6 weeks. I cleaned it up and it was looking amazing, and I didn't realize it but the cord was around my leg somewhat. I dropped a screw and when I went to grab it it pulled the receiver right off the table and smashed the whole faceplate. It snapped off the tuner needle completely and I have no clue if it works.

I also cut my leg in the process as I tried to "catch" the beast with my leg as I saw it happening.

Pretty devastated. I had told him about it because I wanted to make sure he wanted it and he was excited about it....first thing he's been excited about in a long time.

Pray for some peace for me as I'm so angry and sad.

Never dropped an amp or receiver, but i did dent my dust caps on my L-150s because of my damn clumsy hands.. Damn things were mint for 40+ years and i had to be the one to damage it.. Was not a happy camper.

While I dont really pray for audio gear, ill hope really hard.. ;)

Good luck on the project, and super cool of you to set your brother up!

Kind Regards,
John

Back
Top Bottom