Ohm C2 Worth It?

TomBig58

What kind of shape should these be in to meet the asking price of $200?

00x0x_hlZLudPXn6n_600x450.jpg
00202_4sNdiJEVbpY_600x450.jpg
00J0J_jObnjQYF4NH_600x450.jpg

Reasonable lowball offer? Thanks

I paid $225 for mine about 2 years ago, they were refoamed and looked like new. i thought that was fair price but im big on Ohm. I cant really tell the condition from your pics but if they have been refoamed and are in decent shape $200 would be a decent price

I'm going to go look at them this evening. I have a feeling they're original but we'll see. I know a lot of folks are putting big money into driver upgrades for these guys so I figure those who own them love them. It also seems a lot of these models need work at this stage of their career. I wish I knew what to look/listen for.

I sold my D2s for $250-300. I also got a cosmetically challenged pair of Fs for $100. The C2s are supposed to be much better than the D2s and they were nice. Need a high current amp to sound their best.

They will probably need refoaming if they are original. I bought the OEM foams when mine were done.

Last edited:
the original foam curves inward not outward like most speakers they dont make a kit like that that im aware of so if its outward they have been refoamed. also there is only 2 capacitors on the crossover so easy to upgrade if you want.

Thanks for the input. Just got back from there. They really are fantastic sounding speakers. First one's I've ever heard except maybe drooling over them in a stereo shop during my teen years. He replaced the woofers about 8 years ago but not the crossovers. They're OEM replacements but not the upgraded models. I really liked the tonal range, very good on the low end. What kept me from pulling the trigger was the condition of the cabs and covers. 4 out of 10 at best. One of the tops was water damaged with a plant or something with veneer also gone on one of the corners. One of the covers was cobbled together and missing the badge. I offered him $150 and he declined. I was waffling, thinking of coughing up the extra $50 cuz they sounded THAT good and he shooed me out the door. I get the feeling he's not sure he even wants to sell. This may not be over he lives 5 mins away and we have each others numbers.

Thanks for the input. Just got back from there. They really are fantastic sounding speakers. First one's I've ever heard except maybe drooling over them in a stereo shop during my teen years. He replaced the woofers about 8 years ago but not the crossovers. They're OEM replacements but not the upgraded models. I really liked the tonal range, very good on the low end. What kept me from pulling the trigger was the condition of the cabs and covers. 4 out of 10 at best. One of the tops was water damaged with a plant or something with veneer also gone on one of the corners. One of the covers was cobbled together and missing the badge. I offered him $150 and he declined. I was waffling, thinking of coughing up the extra $50 cuz they sounded THAT good and he shooed me out the door. I get the feeling he's not sure he even wants to sell. This may not be over he lives 5 mins away and we have each others numbers.

C2's are a very good speaker, as you now know. Back when I was selling stereos we sold the 10" C2 against many 12" 3 ways, and the C2 always compared very well.

I've had many pairs of these over the years, don't think I've ever paid more than $100. I'd say they're worth $200 - $300 if in very good condition, but not in the condition you described. I think you were smart to walk away.

Keep them on your watch list, if you're patient you'll come across a pair for $100 or less, usually in need of refoaming.

bs

I once drove over two hours to buy a pair for $50 but they were painted white. I really enjoyed them for a while but the WAF factor caught up and I gave them to a fellow Aker.

Just hooked up my restored C2 speakers to my 30 wpc MAC 1500.

Easily pushes them to enough sound in my 12x16 room.

I used Parts Express 10” foam and installed it inverted like it was originally designed to be. The sound wave terminates better, according to my old Ohm paperwork.
I used a 30hz tone to center the VC. The gap is tight.

A7B459D9-D309-4934-9CA5-50F8DCFC3AA4.jpeg

Just hooked up my restored C2 speakers to my 30 wpc MAC 1500.

Easily pushes them to enough sound in my 12x16 room.

I used Parts Express 10” foam and installed it inverted like it was originally designed to be. The sound wave terminates better, according to my old Ohm paperwork.
I used a 30hz tone to center the VC. The gap is tight.

View attachment 2491841
Great way to resurrect an old thread like this. Good inspiration too, I’ve got a pair of C2’s that have been sitting in the garage awaiting attention for years. I’ve been determined to do the foam right, reversed like you did. Congrats on such a nice work

Thanks.
The low tweeters were both shot when I bought them. Original foam was mostly gone.
Tried the 10” foam from a top supplier on ebay. Had to send it back because they claim it fits, “if you stretch it”.
WTF? That’s not how foam fits, if it’s correctly sized.
As you can see, the PE foam fits well inverted. Good luck with your project.

It's nice to see my almost 5 year old thread resurrected. Patiently waiting a few years, a pair of well kept C2 needing refoam came available for a very nice price. Quick to the draw I had my brother, who lived close, go and pick them up. When I finally got them I refoamed using the test tone method and had a VC rub problem. In fact, one of the VC's seized up. I did not invert the foam.

I had to remove the entire cone and VC where I found the magnet shifted off center. I cleaned out the factory lubricant (there is a thread for this problem here somewhere), re-centered the magnet, and put it back together with ferro fluid...all good. Yes those woofers have a very tight tolerance!

Now the other one has a slight rub and I am going to need to do the same with it. I also have purchased new crossover parts for when I get around to it, so on the shelf they still sit.

The saga continues....

Oddly enough, I didn't have to change the caps in my C2s.
i have learned not to "fix" something that's not broken! :beerchug:

Oddly enough, I didn't have to change the caps in my C2s.
i have learned not to "fix" something that's not broken! :beerchug:

Good call, in my opinion. I recapped a pair of Celestion Ditton 44s, and although they sounded clearer after the recap, I didn't like them as much. I ended up replacing them with a pair of Kef Concerto's. I was going to recap them, and decided against it. For speakers, unless I have to to get them working, I leave the crossovers alone untiI l don't like the sound. I never did change the caps on the Kef Concerto's. Nor has my son who has them now. For Amps and Preamps, I have them restored only after I have spent a lot of time with them, and I've decided they are keepers. Then I do it for insurance.

Good idea! I've often done side by side tests, using a mono source so both speakers get the same input. Works good...

Back
Top Bottom