Two Tables. Which One Wins Out In Regards To Aesthetics?

Two Tables. Which One Do You Like The Looks Of The Best?

• AR XA

Votes: 57 57.6%
  • Technics SP 10 MK II

Votes: 42 42.4%

• Total voters
That list if I recall had no bearing on how a table looked. Anyone that likes the looks of an AR's tonearms is regressing to their childhood and are remembering their little Fisher Price record players tone arm. :D

TAS gave the list of order of significance voted on by the various mags.

10 - Walker Diamond MK III
9 - Well-Tempered table (1979)
8 - Oracle Delphi (1979)
7 - Panasonic SP-10 (1970)
6 - Garrard 301 (1954)
5 - Thorens TD-124/TD-160 (1957)
4 - Goldmund Studio (1985)
3 - Sota Star Sapphire (1981)
2 - Linn Sondek LP12 (1972)
1 - AR-XA (1961)
That list is BS, everyone knows that the SOTA Star Sapphire stomped the Linn in damn near every heads up review and testing put out except the flat earthier. :rolleyes:

So did the Oracle Delphi

That list if I recall had no bearing on how a table looked. Anyone that likes the looks of an AR's tonearms is regressing to their childhood and are remembering their little Fisher Price record players tone arm. :D
Yeah, I know. That's why I listen with my eyes wide shut, between it, my DB Systems Pre, The Ampzillas, not much to look at.

That list is BS, everyone knows that the SOTA Star Sapphire stomped the Linn in damn near every heads up review and testing put out except the flat earthier. :rolleyes:
May have........however I do have to ask, what turntable designs after 1972 were based on the Linn? If none, or very few, how was it influential?

May have........however I do have to ask, what turntable designs after 1972 were based on the Linn? If none, or very few, how was it influential?
That's very true

influential? Yes it taught the industry to put a very high markup on very little.

Yeah, I know. That's why I listen with my eyes wide shut, between it, my DB Systems Pre, The Ampzillas, not much to look at.

I know it might sound vain but I love to see a turntable in action that appears with a very precision
tonearm. If it looks like it means business, I guess it tricks the mind into thinking it sounds better.

I try to not close my eyes when listening, as it never seems to fail when I close my eyes for a bit I end up dosing off and suddenly I open them up only to see, or hear, that the record is over and I slept thru have of it. I have to work early in the morning so its dawn till late in the afternoon, and I rarely go to sleep before midnight, so the late afternoon listening sessions some times finds me feeling a bit drowsy.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, interesting. The designer in me has some impressions now that I see it all put together.
I think both plinths are beautiful. The AR compliment sit's plinth better than the Technics does its.
The SL-10 has an industrial feel to it and the plinth (and arm for that matter) is very organic so they are sorta clashing for me. But that's only something one could conclude once you see it.
Of course my SL-1015 is very similar, but seems to look comfortable on the rosewood plinth. But the plinth has a more sleek and technical profile to it with the small band of similar metal inlay wrapping around it.

I'm just sick of the AR. I have had many. I'm tired of working on them, I'm tired of looking at them. Its like listening to the Beatles or Led Zeppelin.......

I'll try not to be negative.......:)

Wayner,
PLEASE let me lift your burden... send me any AR that you are "sick... and ...tired of." I'll gladly suffer with them. ;)

Well, I like the Technics more, but the plinth and arm are not my cup of tea ;) Of course I can appreciate what the quality of that combo must be!

As somebody who had both as their 'tables' as a kid, I'll give you the regressing to childhood thing.
But it ain't about the FP.

I'd go with the AR in the looks department, but I like a simple look. And the wood on that one is fantastic.

IMHO the AR has a classic look, the SP-10 somewhat convoluted due to the arm plinth style combination.
That said the AR would not be my go to listening table with the Technics anywhere close by.

You want honesty?

I never really like the looks of the AR XA tables even fixed up.

As far as the SP-10 goes, I like the looks of the plinth and arm together, it's just to bad it has the SP-10 sitting on top of it. It could look better if it was a different color, instead of the big silver boring brick on top.

Maybe another color choice for the top plate, satin black like some of the arm parts?
A dark burgundy that reads well with the red mahogany and brass?
Maybe a golden color.

View attachment 956527 View attachment 956528 View attachment 956529

View attachment 956533

I agree with 4-2-7. If it was me I would modify the plinth and platter to get this kind of look. You've almost got it there, just a little bit of extra woodworking, and paint and clear coat. I would then install that Audiomods tonearm you bought sometime ago. Hey, but that's just me and as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

IMG_6006+1250+logo2copy.JPG

If this is just a beauty contest, and we're talking aesthetics only, the AR wins. Big time. Hands down. That AR is beautiful.

The Technics motor unit is just... boring*. I mean, it's a circle on a square. Yeah, I get that there's a minimalist, modern thing going on there but a little color might have helped*. That silver/gray tone was done to death in its day*, and is only one small step removed from BPC*, in my book. And that recessed plinth looks like it is trying to swallow the turntable whole*, or something. The visual weight is off, and in my opinion the aesthetic is wrong* - a minimalist industrial motor unit wants the colder, harder, cleaner touch of metal or stone to set it off*. Obsidian come to mind...

*Nate's personal opinion only - not to be construed as anything other.

Back
Top Bottom