Hello from northern Virginia

natek

Been lurking around for a few weeks. You guys are awesome. Some great info on this site.

Anyway, came across an electronics recycling company a few weeks ago who had gear from an estate clean out. Picked up a Marantz 2230, Pioneer SA-8800 and an Onkyo A-7. They are in fantastic condition and fully functional. Which one would you recommend keeping? I'm am not playing any vinyl. I feel "all of them" is going to be a popular answer. :)

Thanks again and glad to meet everyone.

Welcome from another Nate from NoVA! "all of them" is the right answer!

What recycling place did you hit up, if you don't mind sharing? I never have any of that kind of luck.

You are correct sir - all of them - tell 'em what he's won Johnny! If I had to pick only one it would be the 8800 - more balls than the others.

Welcome from downtown FairyFax VA!

Welcome to the world of AK.

As for your question...keep them BOTH! Play with them a while to see which one you like best. Always nice to have a back up just in case something goes wrong with the other.

Q

Welcome from the Charlottesville, VA.

My advice is get all of them tuned up, listen and then make a choice. Simple tuning up as per service manual, such as setting up DC offset and idling current, most likely result in sound improvement. Pioneer might need more elaborated tune-up then the other two if SA-8800 has the same non-switching power amp as SA-9800 I have had.

Also I advice you to visit this recycling company and ask if they have broken or non-working units. You can get top of the line broken stuff for pennies then fix it and enjoy.

Welcome to AK!

I got my first pair of UREI speakers from a recycling company near Falls church ...
they had computers, monitors, old school hifi gear and speakers ... and a lot of weird industrial stuff ... Local Pickup, only.

Hello.
Welcome to AK from a former Dale Cidiot and Lake Ridge resident.

You are off to a great to your audio journey. I would keep them all for right now. As you try different combinations of gear you can always sell what you know you don't need.

hey there from the border of Loudoun/Fairfax. Good get on those receivers. My excuse for multiples is - gear in the garage, gear in the workshop, main room gear, man cave gear, etc.......

Back
Top Bottom