Using too much tracking force

LT79

Hey there, used to post here eons ago under a different name.

Anyways, got a strange question for you all.

My 1210 starting acting up with some weird distortion and through a process of elimination I determined it was either my headshell/cartridge or needle. So I got all three replaced. The local shop was having a deal on Shure M44gs, premounted on standard technics headshells, so I figured I'd try that (I hate mounting headshells).

It was a definite improvement, but I was getting a lot of sibiliance. Through some trial and error with the settings I have it almost minimized now. It actually sounds better than my last cartridge, an AT120eb, did. However, to get it to sound optimal I had to double the tracking force to almost 3g. The recommended tracking force is 1.5g, although the manual recommends that DJs spin at three grams.

I have a unique situation with my set-up. Nine times out of ten, I'm spinning records ONE time. Just to record it to my computer. With that in mind, I'm not very concerned about damaging my records. I just want to know, could I be damaging anything else?

I really like how it sounds now. Good bass, not too much treble, even less sibiliance than my 120eb. I'd hate to think that I'm mucking something up with my setup. Any help would be appreciated!

So long as you aren't exceeding the max recommended stylus force, the only thing you'll damage is the vinyl.

Last edited:
I fail to see how it's possible to get a good 'take' if you're damaging the record at the same time.:idea:

You might try lowering the tonearm base and reducing the tracking force a bit to see if you can get rid of the sibilance at less than 3 g VTF.

If you are only playing your records once to record them, I'd say you're fine now if you'd rather not bother. :)

Seems I recall the tracking force for that cart is up to 3 grams. I been spinning Dave Brubeck Jazz Impressions of New York on my Shure M7-N21D cart......at 3 grams.

I think you'll be fine. I'd rather track too heavy and enjoy the vinyl, than to hear a sibilant record. Kills my tinnitus-riddled ears.

OP if you dig a little deeper you will see that the SL-1210 is much more capable than what most DJs require re sound quality. With a different cartridge choice you could lower the tracking force to around 1.25gr and with a higher quality cartridge eliminate any siblance. It doesn't take much to damage a record and there's no way to repair the damage. Records in nice shape can be quite valuable when you total up a collection in the thousands, a good cartridge is pretty cheap in comparison, couple hundred. Never mind the difference in sound quality between a cheap cartridge and a good one can be substantial.

Playing a record at 3 grams of tracking force is NOT going to damage the record. I've played records with a much higher tracking weight on older turntables and no damage has resulted. I've used a Garrard turntable which tracks at 5 grams with no damage to the record.

You really need to check alignment and azimuth of the cartridge/stylus while mounted on YOUR turntable. You should be able to minimize sibilance and IDG substantially doing this properly.

Hey there, used to post here eons ago under a different name.

Anyways, got a strange question for you all.

My 1210 starting acting up with some weird distortion and through a process of elimination I determined it was either my headshell/cartridge or needle. So I got all three replaced. The local shop was having a deal on Shure M44gs, premounted on standard technics headshells, so I figured I'd try that (I hate mounting headshells).

It was a definite improvement, but I was getting a lot of sibiliance. Through some trial and error with the settings I have it almost minimized now. It actually sounds better than my last cartridge, an AT120eb, did. However, to get it to sound optimal I had to double the tracking force to almost 3g. The recommended tracking force is 1.5g, although the manual recommends that DJs spin at three grams.

I have a unique situation with my set-up. Nine times out of ten, I'm spinning records ONE time. Just to record it to my computer. With that in mind, I'm not very concerned about damaging my records. I just want to know, could I be damaging anything else?

I really like how it sounds now. Good bass, not too much treble, even less sibiliance than my 120eb. I'd hate to think that I'm mucking something up with my setup. Any help would be appreciated!
The cartridge needs to be broken in and then it will track properly at the reduced VTF

Have you used a scale to determine tracking force? Those numbers don't necessarily mean anything unless the arm was zeroed out and the dial turned to "0". It is also fairly easy to move the number dial and not the counter weight.

Back
Top Bottom