Boston Guitar Solo (Hitch A Ride)

llanger

Were there two guitars on the outro, or just one? I consider it as many do as one of the greatest guitar solos of all time.

Back in the 70s and 80s I was recording alot of shows off FM radio live broadcast and delayed shows, LIR ,NEW PLR and many more must have 1000 to 1200 hrs. I must have recorded Boston 6 to 8 times. Erased them all. they were FM sound board recording. As much as I liked Boston records. They were so over produced they could not do live what was on the record.They were actually in my opinion pretty bad live. Not worth the hr to 2hrs of tape.From the time the recording session to release time could be up to a year or more ( think this is a conservative estimate) because of overdubbing and a million retakes.

Tom Scholz was a master craftsman, he took his time, he didn't rush things. His home studio matched the best commercial facilities in New York City, Los Angeles, Nashville, and any record town. He was not on a commercial studio's clock or budgetary restrictions. Tom was his own man. His demos beat most major label $25,000 to $250,000 sessions finished.

They are a love/Hate band, Most don't know, Sholtz played all the instruments on the demo. What was pulled off on the debut, In a small closet is astonishing. Also, Doesn't get the credit he should as a guitarist. Some wicked solos in this guys body of work.

Boston was always too over produced and cold to me. Talented technicians perhaps but I got no soul from the music.

Boston was always too over produced and cold to me. Talented technicians perhaps but I got no soul from the music.

It's funny this is a common criticism of this album.
Not to say your opinion is wrong, however this album was completely recorded/mixed/mastered in Toms basement by himself. He played all the instruments save for drums and a few bass parts.
About as low-tech as you could get.
The only song done in the studio was let me take you home tonight.

Regarding the solo from hitch a ride, it was two guitar "parts". I don't know how many takes were spliced together but there are two distinct guitars.
There is also an acoustic in the background.
My favorite all-time guitar solo.
So melodic.
If you want an interesting read, google the making of the Boston album.
Tom Scholz is brilliant on similar levels as Les Paul.

Here's a great YouTube cover of hitch a ride.

But I think that basement approach is part of the problem. And I have read about the making of the Boston album AND heard it endlessly when it was first released.

Tom played all the parts and layered them track after track. That doesn't take into account the "hey I like the way you are going with that, but let's try this" of a few guys expanding off each others input, whether it be on stage, in a jam session or when the tapes are rolling. Yes it takes skill but...

And I don't get the "low-tech" part. That's not low tech. I am sure Tom's equipment was first rate and the techniques as high tech as the studios of the day would be with several guys in it.

There are people who can do what Tom did and (IMO) make it more engaging, Todd Rundgren for example.

I think most of the 'cold' comes from his solid state guitar tone. Great album but it is still overplayed. The organ work is highly underrated.

Agree to some of the comments, but as I grew up in late 70's, this was a staple in my car 8 track system and LP. I remember in HS riding around in my car with dubbed 8 track recording of Boston, Hendrix and ACDC with a childhood friend who was an excellent athlete that dropped out to play guitar and bass. He loved the 'white boy' rock (maybe some Molly Hatchet too) and he eventually went on to play in local DC punk scene in Scream (later some guy name Dave Grohl filled in for sick drummer).

My kids got me a Rock Band setup a few years ago. It was cool to see my youngest get into More than a Feeling. Anyway to each your own, carry on.

I get that people have polarized opinions of this album.
I'm not trying to convince you to like it.
If I was a teen when this album was being played non-stop on every station I too would probably dislike it much like I don't care for thriller for the same reason.

What I mean by low tech is;
All of the recording and production of this album was done manually and often the sounds your hearing aren't necessarily "produced" they are literally created.

For example, the outro of the Hammond organ solo on hitch a ride finishes with a pitch modulation of the organ similar to a tonewheel of a modern keyboard.
The thing is, Hammond organs don't have a tonewheel and their wasn't pitch bending effects yet invented!
The effect was done by dragging his hand on the tape reel as he was simultaneously playing and recording the part!
Other things like guitar sounds were of his own creation.
Tom did not yet develope his famous Rockman solid state preamps yet as these were developed to help him re-create his sound live.
The guitar sounds are coming from Marshall stacks heavily eq'd and possibly compressed but they are as organic as any.
He was THAT innovative.

Another example of his incredible abilities is the record company told Tom to re-record the entire album with professional producers and engineers.
Tom knew all would be lost if someone else controlled the production so he sent the band out west to record let me take you home tonight without him while he stayed behind and re-recorded the entire album, every piece, in two weeks. He actually quit his job to give himself time to do this.
The album you hear on the radio, purchase in the store, is the exact product that Tom turned in to the record company, created entirely by him, save for the one song let me take you home tonight.
Amazing.

Last edited:
Agree to some of the comments, but as I grew up in late 70's, this was a staple in my car 8 track system and LP. I remember in HS riding around in my car with dubbed 8 track recording of Boston, Hendrix and ACDC with a childhood friend who was an excellent athlete that dropped out to play guitar and bass. He loved the 'white boy' rock (maybe some Molly Hatchet too) and he eventually went on to play in local DC punk scene in Scream (later some guy name Dave Grohl filled in for sick drummer).

My kids got me a Rock Band setup a few years ago. It was cool to see my youngest get into More than a Feeling. Anyway to each your own, carry on.

"Anyway to each your own, carry on."

Wayward Son.

Regards
Mister Pig

I use to cover a couple of Boston tunes in a couple of bar bands I was in. We used two guitars... I always loved their songs but never listen to them now. We tuned down a half step so I could handle the vocals. I always got lots and lots of compliments when we covered their tunes. We were only a 4 piece so we left a bunch out. I used a fixed cocked wah, a rat pedal, a Deluxe Memory Man through an ac30 and a Super reverb (SR was dedicated repeat) through a less paul with the tone rolled back. Sometimes I used a phaser instead of a fixed wah. Great memories. (Neck pick up only)

My original question has not been answered. It was one guitar? Say what one will about Boston, it was a great guitar solo? Heavily processed or not.

Back
Top Bottom