What is your ideal audio format and why?

vinyl is my favorite...but cd thru the 2 DACs i have (ADCOM GDA 700 & SCHIIT MIMBY) sound excellent...also use the AQ Dragonfly Black with iPhone & computer...also enjoy tuners (SS & Tube)...if I'm lazy ill use a Peachtree music server, All formats have good points. As for Cassettes...gave up...both my decks have failed do to non use (Nakamichi DR 10 & Proton 740)

For music, vinyl is my preference; for some reason, it just draws me into and engages me with the music better than cd's or other formats I have heard. What HiFi's review of the budget model AT-LP120-USB may give a reason for this when it said, ". . . the Audio-Technica demonstrates the sort of deft facility with timing and rhythmic organisation that makes vinyl many listeners' format of choice."
https://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp120usb/review

Whether that explanation is fact or fancy, I couldn't say, but my subjective experience is that vinyl is more enjoyable, compelling me to play record after record, especially when using a "flat earth" approved turntable such as those from Linn or Rega. After decades with an LP12/Ittok front end, my current Rega RP3 is rather modest, yet it draws me in just as well, and HiFi Choice's review said, "The basis of its ability to bring vinyl to life is a superb sense of pace and rhythm."

I also love MP3 files on compact discs for use either in the car or at home. The compressed format works great for fitting dozens of old-time radio programs, lectures, archived sermons, and the like onto a single convenient disc. One of my favorite sets is Sherlock Holmes, 212 episodes on just three cd's.

I listen to vinyl first, cassette second, streaming a distant third. I can't listen to my CDs or MP3s for any amount of time without getting listening fatigue. People here always say it is super expensive to make vinyl sound good, in my case that wasn't true. A $20 CL turntable with a Shure M95 cart and $15 EVG stylus allows me to enjoy music just fine. If I were to revamp my digital setup in an effort to make it listenable, it would cost a small fortune. My current situation won't allow that so it's all analog for now.

My physical format of choice is CD because my overall format of choice is FLAC. Buying CDs is cheaper than downloading Hi-Res FLAC and I haven't been able to discern much of a difference yet. All my CDs go into the FLAC collection (along with recorded vinyl and tapes). My FLAC library has everything in one place, can be shuffled, can be changed quickly, and it's much easier to search. It can also go with me, in whole.

I have a Spotify subscription but my main library has just my music and I still love getting the music physically first.

That being said, I buy a s***load of vinyl and a few tapes, just because I get them cheap.

For me it is CD's. I can play them just about anywhere I want, and they sound good and are convenient. Peace and goodwill.

Vinyl & Subscription Streaming ... best of the old & new. Combined, these two are the ideal audio format for me.

image001.jpg

Well, We all have seen this question in many different variations.

I like Music, so any format that sounds good to me, is good.

It just depends on my mood really. For example, there is a thread regarding "Brothers In Arms" I have the album in many different formats. Depending on what amp/speakers im running will usually determine what format I want to listen to.

Some formats sound better on some devices. It's all ones perspective.

Being that the thread is asking a direct question, I'd have to say Vinyl. Not that i think its the best, its just what I've been listening to for the past few weeks.

Alos use Spotify every day at work... Alos just finished upgrading a Zune, and have a modded out iPod 350gb... So for me.. It's any and all that sounds good and puts a smile on my face.

Good thread!

Kind Regards,
John

Critical Listening - depends on the master, but usually digital rips of my vinyl or 24/96 digital.
Party Listening - vinyl, because its fun to watch peoples faces when they hear nice vinyl playing.
Outside by the fire - digital, streaming, or vinyl...depends on how I feel.

I have lots of issues with hearing loss and ear fatigue due to being a drummer for so long. :-/

That sounds interesting; can you give me some info about that?
Not a real expert on digital playback, but just going by actual experience was that my windows desktop machine gave my DAC's fits and I had to do something. I went through a couple different filters with varying degrees of success but never 100% satisfied. The issues I had with playing music through my Windows machine were, faint, or not so faint buzzing that seemed to coincide with the flickering of the processor light. That was mostly remedied by fiddling with the power options in control panel, going to power saver mode. Then of course a reboot was usually required. Then occasionally the music would play just slightly too fast. It wasn't entirely obvious for the first minute or so until I would notice (usually vocals would be too high pitched). Another reboot, and waiting for everything to come back up. Another was a very rapid fire cutting out of the music, also not immediately noticed but within 20 seconds it would be obvious something was way wrong, and again a reboot was required.

I got tired of it, The rebooting is a PITA, especially after a DAC upgrade to the Modi Multibit was also having similar issues. I became interested in other alternatives to the Windows platform. Apple had glowing reports, but the price tag was too much. Other solutions seemed to be beyond what I wanted to invest, both in time and resources. Since I am a JRiver fan, when they introduced the new ID for the Raspberry PI3 package for around $40 last fall I bit and ordered it, and a Raspberry from Amazon for $50. A little Cat5, a Netgear switch and I was in business.

What you get for the JRiver ID is the Linux operating system and a Linux version of JRiver that comes on a micro SD card. The Raspberry only has limited ram (1GB I think) and no storage on board so I needed to keep all my music files on a separate drive. My music still resides on my Windows PC for now until I invest in a NAD or some other external drive. How it works on my system is I use the Raspberry exclusively for playback with the Modi MB, but I push (stream) the music files from my PC. This way I can use the main JRiver windows version for all the things like selecting, creating playlists or whatnot right on my PC screen (actually I use my TV for that while in my listening chair). The Raspberry plays the music sent to it via Ethernet cable (galvanically isolated) and since the RPi has no fan, no spinning hard drive, and wireless devices are not in use it is very quiet in the disturbances that can and often do make problems for DAC's, in particular USB DAC's.

The Raspberry just stays on 24/7 (usually for months) always at the ready and uses something like 4 watts of power. It never stalls, hiccups, drops out etc even on hi rez files. And the sound I feel is very much superior to what I was getting from the same DAC running direct from my Win machine. BTW I was running Win in WASAP so it shouldn't have been messing with the data stream.

This JRiver solution is likely not for everyone. Many use the Raspberry with other software solutions, or create their own. But the advantages for me were that since I have been a regular user of JRiver already and that they came out with a mostly plug and play solution that interfaces nicely with the program I already have (although the Linux JR version works fine by itself) and the fact that JRiver maintains my Raspberry with regular free updates it was a very easy choice, and one I have never regretted.

Everyone is responding with the format they play the most, so I had to go back to the original question to exactly what's being asked here.
...what do you use to play something in it's truest form and or when you want the sound to be how YOU like it? And why

Ah, OK. I will go with 'files' in this case. Heretofore, my go to format was uncompressed WAV files due to a limitation of a particular player (doesn't support lossless). But, I'm using that player less and less, and am currently converting everything over to FLAC. It is a time consuming process, but quite worth it as I see the available disc space continuously increasing as more and more of my files are now becoming lossless. Like others here, even my vinyl and tape are played as files since they sound identical to the media used to create the files themselves.

I'm excited about the possibilities of streaming, but it hasn't worked for me yet. Living in the middle of nowhere, my Internet speed and reliability just isn't good enough to support even low bit-rate MP3. I have been enjoying Mixcloud and Pandora at work a lot. I want to use Spotify, but those pricks want money just to cast it to my ChromeCast Audio. Still, for mainstream music, I find it exciting to have so many titles available. For the bizarre off the wall stuff, it appears physical media (quickly converted to files) is the way to go.

The Ideal audio format is the hybrid SACD.

On one layer you have the DSD 2 channel mix and the optional multi-channel DSD mix.

On the other layer, you can have either the CD, the HDCD, or the Enhanced CD (complete with full-motion video when played back on a computer) version of an album. One can download the content of either layer nowadays.

Records,only because they are less of a pain in the ass than my reel to reels.That said,I have nothing against digital.I even own a calculator;)

No votes for piano rolls? Haha

I agree with above about tape, reels are too hard to come by and too expensive but would be my #1 if that wasn't the case.

Digital all the way for me. Convenience and versatility my main reasons. I am (finally) re-burning my whole library in lossless as I found that I can play wma-lossless in my car as well. Am working with an old laptop to add that capability in my TV/living room system. I gave up my turntable and cassette recorder long ago and havnt looked back

How are you ripping to WMA lossless? My car will play WMA lossless but not FLAC, but I have a huge library of CDs ripped to FLAC (which works well everywhere else)

I run 320kbps Mp3 off my phone for the car and sound canceling headphones for those miserable long flights.

Back
Top Bottom