Pictures of your computer set ups

Long overdue: Substituting fully tubed preamplifier for transistor unit. Truthfully, it sounded great with the solid state pre, but it sounds MUCH better now.

20170423_144735_zps9aygmvlm.jpg

^^^And it is so much appreciated! This was one of my threads. I hated seeing it withering away on the vine. Thank you!^^^

Well sorry Valveglow, doesn't look like anyone else feels the same. I was hoping to see some updates or new postings. Thanks for getting this started.

Well sorry Valveglow, doesn't look like anyone else feels the same. I was hoping to see some updates or new postings. Thanks for getting this started.

Thank YOU, in fact mmickk! Well, thus far I have seen 31 pages of this thread which I love. Some have posted elaborate systems, some simple, and some super vintage! If and when you make further changes, I would appreciate your posts. I think that perhaps this thread may come alive again. In any event, I appreciate it!

Work setup. Unsure if posted before.

gwVc2Ks.jpg

Attachments

• gwVc2Ks - Imgur.jpg
    gwVc2Ks - Imgur.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
  • gwVc2Ks - Imgur.jpg
    gwVc2Ks - Imgur.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This "spare bedroom" has always held the BIG Vintage system. I recently added a slim form factor computer just for kicks! These Lenovo ThinkCentre factory refurb computers
pop up occasionally on the "Deal Sites". I think this one was $89 loaded with Windows Ten 320GB HD, DVD Player, 4 gigs of RAM, 8 USB ports! Not bad! They fit right into a lot of stereo cabinets
in that horizontal position. I use the little 24" TV as a monitor/TV. I added a Wifi adapter a Soundblaster soundcard a DVD R/RW drive to burn discs and a portable 1 TB HD into those
USB ports. I use a little Adesso wireless keyboard and/or a wireless mouse to move around.

Needless to say this computer in this vintage system is for PLAY not for work! All my music is backed up on that portable drive. 305GB of FLAC files and counting. Sansui 8080DB, stacked Advents
(Original Large & New Large), Sony MXD-D40 CD player/MD recorder, Toshiba CD/VCR recorder, Akai - GX 266II Reel To Reel deck, TEAC V-95RX cassette deck, A Denon DVD-756 DVD/SACD player, & a Technics SL-1301 TT in a overloaded Barzilay cabinet! I know it's stretching it to say this is my "computer setup" But it is fun!IMG_3580.JPG IMG_3581.JPG

Last edited:
Time for an update as things have changed since my original setup, and for the better.
cave today.jpg

Might need to experiment with lighting and turn the monitors off. Anyway,
ADS L880 inverted and on top
ADS L980 on the bottom
Behind the beer bottle is the PC, custom made by my oldest son, has a lot of stuff packed in it.
Behind the keyboard, old vintage AM/FM tuner just in case
Cambridge Audio CX A80 with DAC 80wpc and sounds amazing.
Philips Blue Ray/DVD
The Vandersteen 2c is just for looks for now, and a Yamaha THR C10 guitar amp with USB connect on it.
Guitars are:
Fender (precision bass (2), Stratocaster, Telecaster, HM Strat
Ibanez S-770 Custom
Yamaha RGX A2 black
Yamaha RGX A2 white

Other amps and gadgets, as well as recording equipment.

A little something I tossed together back in April. 2017. My first shot at at totally silent computer..... . No motors, no fans..... ZERO moving parts.

17758356_10212369660417345_8659861419345093679_o.jpg

IMG_20170419_080705322_HDR.jpg

P1050720.jpg

For anyone who is curious, here's the parts list.

Processor: AMD Athlon 5370 APU AM1 AD5370JAHMBOX

Motherboard: ASRock Motherboard Micro AM1H-ITX

CPU cooler: ARCTIC Alpine M1 Passive - Silent CPU Cooler for AMD AM1 Socket

Laptop power supply: AC Doctor INC 19V 3.42A 65W Battery Charger for Gateway M-1628

Hard Drive: PNY 256Gb Solid State Drive

Memory: Random stick of 4Gb DDR3 that I had laying around.

Computer case: Morex T3500 Fanless Mini-ITX Enclsoure

The motherboard is a bit unique. You can use a standard power supply with it. However I chose it because alternately you can plug a 19v laptop power supply directly into it, which is how I'm using it.

MJB, Yes perhaps another pic would be good. You identified components and the guitars which is good, but you failed to mention the beer! What is on top of the Vandersteen? I can't quite make it out.

Ohighway, I am quite intrigued by that noiseless PC. I am completely unaware that PCs can do without both fans and/or water cooling. I'll have to ask my Son The computer Guru about this.

Thank you both for posting!!

Ohighway, I am quite intrigued by that noiseless PC. I am completely unaware that PCs can do without both fans and/or water cooling. I'll have to ask my Son The computer Guru about this.

Well first and foremost these small fanless machines are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the ultra powerful gaming rigs. Good for light duty computing, general computing tasks, etc. Not heavy duty gaming, graphical rendering, etc. The less powerful processor generates less heat which is what allows passive cooling to keep up with the task. Also, the laptop power supply eliminates the fan of a normal power supply. Elimination of an optical drive eliminates the drive motor, and the use of a solid state drive eliminates the motor of a standard drive.

Well first and foremost these small fanless machines are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the ultra powerful gaming rigs. Good for light duty computing, general computing tasks, etc. Not heavy duty gaming, graphical rendering, etc. The less powerful processor generates less heat which is what allows passive cooling to keep up with the task. Also, the laptop power supply eliminates the fan of a normal power supply. Elimination of an optical drive eliminates the drive motor, and the use of a solid state drive eliminates the motor of a standard drive.

Thanks, O. Makes perfect sense. I do see the huge heat sinks and there's nothing like a solid state drive! I have 2 of them, one in each of 2 computers, though they are only holding the operating system I believe. Funny thing is that though I do have two set ups that are shall we say, sans valve, SS is almost a heretical term to this tube lover!

Back
Top Bottom