Help with fedex?

Ironwolf

I shipped a Raven audio Blackhawk le tube amplifier and it was destroyed in shipping by fedex. I was returning it back to raven audio in the original packaging that raven sent it to me in. This was raven's response to me:

"I could feel something rolling around inside so I grabbed my phone to take pictures. It was very loose inside the box, and as a result has moved around a LOT during shipping causing a bit of damage - of course.
In this case, medium handling was not the mode. The corners are rounded and the box is quite beat up... two of the knobs were off, and as a result floating around within the annulus which did a good job of damaging the front plate and some of the paint."

FedEx claims the unit was not packaged correctly so they denied the insurance claim on the unit. Don't know how they can say it wasn't packaged properly if I used the original manufactures packaging and repacked it just as I received it originally.

What is the best way to fight this so I can have them pay the insurance claim?

It doesn't inherently mean anything that it was shipped in the original mfg. packaging/box.

What matters is if the mfg's original packaging/box is a shipping-worthy container or moreso just a convenience/stocking package for the amp and associated bits.

Sometimes the original box is actually in another box for shipping. I have some heavy items that are in effect triple boxed. There is the stocking/inventory box that itself is pretty strong but not shipping strong. That is placed inside a second box where it is isolated with a couple inches of air space by foam blocking in all the corners. Then that package is placed inside yet another box, tight fitting to the second.

Last edited:
I take lots of pics of my packing process and double box everything with foam board lining ,etc so it's bulletproof to prove it was good to go.
Never had an issue with FedEx.
Did you do that?
If not you may have a hard time getting reimbursed.

Bob

You say you shipped it back to Raven in the original packing that Raven used to ship the amp to you. Did you pack it exactly as it was packed when you received it? Was the packaging showing wear & tear when you received it?

Just keep calling FedEx personally and asking for insurance claim payment. Keep asking for managers.

I've never won in this situation. I don't have the time to sit on the phone.

They will tell you to appeal and give you an address. I did that once. Never heard anything back.

You'll have to upload directly to our server. Photobucket no longer allows hotlinking, unless you pay them.

JIdDZ3sl.jpg

RqW8D0Ol.jpg

If I returned gear to a manufacturer correctly packed in the original shipping boxes and it was damaged in transit I would expect some support from them with the damage claim.

Has Raven sent you pictures of the damage?

2" of padding is usually the minimum they look for in a claim, and you may be under that giving them an out. Just because it's manufacturer's padding doesn't mean it's acceptable to Fedex's coverage, especially if it's heavy.

Good luck!

I asked for pictures of the box damage being they stated all the corners were rounded but the company hasn't sent the pictures of the box, only pictures of the damaged unit.
JTRXjKs.jpg

9whwyPj.jpg

8sjzlu2.jpg

2" of padding is usually the minimum they look for in a claim, and you may be under that giving them an out. Just because it's manufacturer's padding doesn't mean it's acceptable to Fedex's coverage, especially if it's heavy.

Good luck!
Agreed - it's unlikely Fedex will accept liability for this.

If the OP packed it for return exactly as it was originally packed by the manufacturer then the packaging is insufficient for this amplifier, and IMO that makes Raven negligent.

Raven isn't alone. We get iPads and Galaxy tablets at work w/o 2" padding. The iPads look to have at least an inch, but the Samsungs come in w/o any padding and tight to the box which means the one on the end has less than 1/2" of cardboard over the screen. Drop that carton on a hard corner and you have a smashed screen and garbage.

FED EX SUCKS! :thumbsdown:................................................... I have seen them throw boxes around so many times its unreal! They just don't care!

FED EX SUCKS! :thumbsdown:................................................... I have seen them throw boxes around so many times its unreal! They just don't care!

Blah blah blah. That's not meant personally, but doesn't matter who handled the package they all suck when something happens. Frankly, I doubt any of them are statistically much different than any other in regard to damage.

Back
Top Bottom