ElectroVoice Georgian

walloffound

I just found this single EV Georgian. Removed it from a pile of garbage and happy to bring it back to life. All drivers work. I have a few questions about it. How does the mid horn work? its an EV 848-HF and has a tube going back from a smaller horn to the bigger horn. i have not seen that before. Also the woofer is a University c15w, anyone ever heard of a University 15" woofer being used for a Khorn type of bass cabinet? I just wondered if it was original or a home brew DIY job.
The crossover is EV x336 I will replace the caps as there is not much high frequency coming from the EV T-35 tweeter. Or is there a better crossover network that somebody knows of? I think this one is covered in tar. Thanks for your imput.

Attachments

• IMG_4227.JPG
    IMG_4227.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4303.JPG
    IMG_4303.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 145
georgian_4_way_speaker_system_223103.jpg georgian400.JPG images.jpeg Thats a very crude Georgian. The ones we installed were bigger than Klipsch corner horns, Had a 18 inch paper woofer similar to the one used in the EV6. The tube the feed the horn is correct from that model as is the tweeter. The woofer is definitely a replacement. It was a good woofer and I believe Klipsch used them for a while in his speakers. The photos included are if two different versions. I believe you will easily spot yours.

Last edited:
1 the University C15W is a very good woofer, and was used in Khorns. It should be wired for 4 ohms.

2 the funky horn is actually two drivers with a funky "reentrant" horn that is gobblygook for one forward firing, and one rear firing driver, within that fiberglass bucket.

3 all Georgians were crude. The outer sleeve is missing on this one, which is the pretty part.

The last one I installed was a 400 model flanked by 2 800 Patricians. Those 30 inch woofers could move some air. And the 800's and 400 were very well made.

1 the University C15W is a very good woofer, and was used in Khorns. It should be wired for 4 ohms.

2 the funky horn is actually two drivers with a funky "reentrant" horn that is gobblygook for one forward firing, and one rear firing driver, within that fiberglass bucket.

3 all Georgians were crude. The outer sleeve is missing on this one, which is the pretty part.
Why 4 ohms?
The way I found it, it was wired for the higher ohm configuration.

BTW I love this woofer it looks mint

Attachments

• IMG_4326.JPG
    IMG_4326.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Check the manual for the Georgian assembly - if they used an Electrovoice 15wK woofer, then it was a 16 ohm nominal woofer that was spec at 4 ohms. The difference was due to the substantial air pressure on the face of the long folded column of air creating a mechanical resistance, which then translated to an electrical resistance by measured output. It was a funky equivalence, but it worked. Many moons ago, I saw an University tech sheet with the settings for the C15W forward firing, in a Dean/Classic, in a Triplex, and in a Khorn, and select EVs, but I can't find it anymore.

You can always run it as is. And if you like it, don't change a thing. Dropping the ohms will improve the bass IF it doesn't create overexcutsion into the divider plate, which makes for critical judgement.

It looks like all drivers are 16 ohm and I guess the EV X336 crossover was designed for the 16 ohm drivers.
It turns out that the T35 tweeter is dead. If anyone has a 16 ohm tweeter let me know.

Follow this....
http://hifilit.com/Electro-Voice/119-5.jpg The Georgian uses the EV15WK woofer. Also note on this ad page there is a sleeve you can order and use for creating the front façade of the speaker. The Georgian uses the X336 crossover, a 16 ohm crossover.

http://hifilit.com/Electro-Voice/119-5.jpg
The EV15WK woofer is 3.2 ohms nominal

You can talk to Bob Crites about getting a diaphragm that is a direct drop in for yours that is shot.

You can talk to Bob Crites about getting a diaphragm that is a direct drop in for yours that is shot.

I talked to bob he said he no longer has any diaphrams and they are unobtanium ,he said the ones you can find online etc are no good and they are 8 ohm and not 16. I might still try one if i cant find another tweeter

Last edited:
I contributed on Facebook, but I'll say something here too.

What I'd do is get an EV SM-120A horn with 1824M and ST-350A tweeter (the top hat off a Sentry IVB) and triamp the thing at 500hz and 5000hz. It'll sound way better than the 848HF ever did. I don't like the 848HF.

i came across an old electrovoice patrician didnt know what it was until after we tore it apart had a 16 ohm crossover in a wooden box the size of a school lunchbox the woofer was bolted flat against the face it was an electrivoice 15 that said 16 ohms the horn tweeter said coaxial and fired front and back still have the crossover running in my diy speakers and horn still works

i came across an old electrovoice patrician didnt know what it was until after we tore it apart had a 16 ohm crossover in a wooden box the size of a school lunchbox the woofer was bolted flat against the face it was an electrivoice 15 that said 16 ohms the horn tweeter said coaxial and fired front and back still have the crossover running in my diy speakers and horn still works
Well since then I've seen one in the klipse museum he would sub out corner horns to electrovoice and even used their speakers in some of his early cabinets the electrovioce horn a massive 2 way tweeter rear firing midrange was bolted on top still have this horn which is still in production 550 dollars mainly for public address the next speaker I saw in the klipse museum was this Steven's speaker apparently they used all diff kinds in these cabinets and were more of a gimmick then a functional speaker the Steven's speaker was a co axial and had little horns like dr suess would design reminded me of the old altec Lansing or g.e. voice of the theatre apparently james b lancing and Steven's were working with the military designing a directional horn speaker as a weapon which they succeeded doing then took their talents into the open market Steven's is credited with bieng the father of the horn all these speakers led up to klipse corner horns which have a folded horn and fire out the back using the corner of the room to reflect the base the Bose 901 were also direct reflecting speakers the klipse heressys were created as a center channel soundstage to fill the void of the corner horns and became successful as a bookshelf speaker

Back
Top Bottom