Would a variable capacitor benefit from a blast of Deox to the fins.

Ric Harris

I have a couple vintage Harman Kardon receivers. One is a 230 B and the other is a Three Thirty and neither one gets decent reception even with a decent antenna. I am wondering if those fins oxidize or are these vintage HK's known to have substandard tuners?
BTW I have a Nikko that has a tuner so sensitive I can pick up stations with a paper clip as an antenna. Tuners are not created equally that's for sure.

Do not get deoxit on air variable cap tuning plates.

Last edited:
Draudio has a thread giving simple, useful and accurate ways to clean the tuner capacitors. See if you can find it and read up.

Someone beat me to it by a minute. Read and enjoy.

One of the rigs I am working on I could swear the AFC is not doing it's job. I have no idea how to even test my hypothesis. Nevertheless there's 4 radio stations between 103.3-104.5 and 3 of them are country stations with mega transmitters and the lone rock station in the mix does not. I just can't stay locked on the signal and it's irritating to say the least.

deoxit does help with rough noises while tuning. do not spray the fins! spray the center shaft where it passes through a bearing on each end.

For God's sake do not use spray DeOxit on a an air variable cap. use either the needle, or the brush applicator. Put a small amount on the end swipers and the bearings nothing more.

This is what I use, from MCM Electronics

20-1670.jpg

Back
Top Bottom