Construction question for those in the trades, or those who have had similar work done

Another issue I didn't mention is that we planted trees 9 years ago and their shade is working overtime now.
Also our home is a double wide made for hot climates. Our walls are made of 2X6 studs making more room for insulation. Also our windows are actually each a set of 2 windows exactly the same and newly caulked/sealed. I also added a storm door to the front door. I stole it from our old house in Ill when we moved to New Mexico.

I am in wonderment as to all the issues a common home owner can do to make homes more comfortable during the hot season. Also wonder why they don't.
Just slap in any old central unit and pay El Paso electric big bucks. There are methods and I am experimenting with them all.

I have always said if a house is built to withstand the cold ie 2x6 construction weatherseal etc it works just as well in the hot.
Never understood why houses in the south would not insulate more.

Like one inside the other in the same opening?
Not inside the other. Next to the other would be my best answer. The outside window is fastened to the siding on the outside. The inside window is fastened to the framing studs on the inside. This gives a gap between windows of around 5".

Not inside the other. Next to the other would be my best answer. The outside window is fastened to the siding on the outside. The inside window is fastened to the framing studs on the inside. This gives a gap between windows of around 5".
Do you get any condensation buildup between the windows ?

Do you get any condensation buildup between the windows ?
Condensation???

Not with an average humidity of around 10% to 20%. Most things left out are dry in a few minutes. Also the intense sunshine helps keep things dry.
Even during the winter months stuff is very dry. That's why they call it a desert.

We are in the midst of renovating the attic now. In the middle of a heat wave too. We have to hang and finish dry wall and then a friend of mine is gonna install new flooring. If I didn't already rack up a balance from some emergency pet healthcare in the last six months I'd be all over the mini split option. At this time though I'm going to have contractors out beginning of next year to give me estimates on installation. In the next few weeks it's going to come together nicely as a work and hang out space for my partner and I and she understands that the rest of the summer up there may just be tough. Our current apartment is a renovated 1700s colonial so it's not like we are coming from the Taj Mahal of modern convenience. The rest of the house has sufficient coverage from window units.

The reason that's not an attic option is casement windows (finally figured out that's what they're called).

The mini split is an appealing permanent solution for next year due to the fact that it minimizes the holes that have to be busted through the cinder block walls.

In the mean time I have a Whynter 14,000 btu dual hose portable AC on the way. It's got some decent reviews on Amazon as far as portable ACs go. I like that the dual hose setup will create positive pressure in the room like a window unit would vs a single hose whose intake is inside of the room, creating negative pressure, inviting in more heat (sounds great for an attic right?) and the whole thing just ends up working against itself. Nope, not in such a demanding space.

It's also a heat wave right now so it's tough to judge the livability of the space once finished at all.

With the sky lights cracked and some fans in the windows at least we will be able to work and finish the drywall up there.

Once I have the portable AC installed should I try running it with the sky lights cracked as a form of ventilation or do y'all think the unit will perform best with every window sealed up tight?

does it actually create positive pressure though? Seems likely that it would pull air from outside though one hose and pass it back out the other one.

usually keeping outside air outside cools better. Never dealt with skylights though. I'd probably cover them personally, reduce the sun heat load.

Knock a hole in the wall and you are stuck with that unit's dimensions and capacity. BTW, full marks for keeping Mom company.

Back
Top Bottom