Tube weight

Sumner2020

I bought a quad set of Russian reflector plant EL84's with gold pins just to try something different. When swapping out the rx3's the first Russian tube I picked up I immediately noticed how much heavier it was compared to the rx3's. I grabbed the digital food scale and sure enough they are 19 grams. All the other EL84's none of which are reissues come in at 12 grams.

So of course my question is does the thicker glass make for a longer lasting tube? Does it inhibit or enhance the output? Or does it do nothing at all?

Thanks
Darin

Probably thicker glass for extra shock resistance or something. Can't see where it would affect anything else.

I just put a quad of the Tung Sol re-issue EL84/6BQ5 tubes in an SCA-35 and they are very robust tubes and seem quite well made. The envelope is a little bigger and the glass seems thicker. I'm pretty sure these are Reflector tubes and they look very much like the Sovtek EL84M's (same physical dimensions and same style printing on the bulb)--I'm wondering if they are not actually the same tube? I've had good luck with all these Russian tubes, including the 7591 types--like them a lot for sound, too.
Dave

I lived in Cape Town, South Africa, during the 1980s, and I was buying all the Quad II tube (valve) power amps I could find — I ended up with 8 of them, and 8 of the Quad 57 electrostatic speakers. I wanted to test all the tubes and the only place that could do it had nothing to do with Audio: it serviced the world's merchant marine fleet — Cape Town is one of the few major commercial harbors in the southern hemisphere, 7,000 kilometers to South America, 11,000 km to Australia — long distances through the roughest seas in the world.

The owner got really excited every time I came in because I was such a switch from his normal routine, and he tested my tubes for free. His tube tester was serious — 10 feet long and 3 feet wide with hundreds of sockets, dials and knobs and meters.

He told me that Russian ships came in almost daily, from their fishing fleets to their freighters and tankers. They all had ship-to-shore radios that were still tube-based, and they had to test their tubes every landfall. And those radios were on 24/7, the law of the sea, they never knew when some fellow mariner might be sending an SOS, and they had to be on duty and on-air to hear the message and sail to the rescue.

He said he'd tested thousands of Russian tubes, and never found a bad one — and some were 60 years old, and been on the whole time. They didn't have "planned obsolescence" like the US and UK products, built to fail to make customers keep buying new ones.

I don't know if today's Russian tubes are as robust as the ones from the old Soviet era, nor if that would be a good thing for high-end audio purposes, because they were designed to withstand the pounding of gale-force waves crashing into their hulls, not to sit on sorbothane isolation pods in your living room — and to hear Morse code or a cry of distress at vocal frequencies, not to reproduce the subtle rubato of Heifetz's G-string.

The reason all our tubes today are from Russia or China is because their electronics still relied on tubes long after the West transistorized — one reason their economies fell behind — and they still have the skills and machines to make tubes, whereas we sold all ours for scrap.

Great piece of tube history and well put! The Russians have a similar reputation for aircraft and other equipment: maybe not always elegant but highly functional and very rugged. We are very fortunate to still have folks out there manufacturing new production tubes of the most popular types. NOS stocks are wearing pretty thin, it seems.

I
I lived in Cape Town, South Africa, during the 1980s, and I was buying all the Quad II tube (valve) power amps I could find — I ended up with 8 of them, and 8 of the Quad 57 electrostatic speakers. I wanted to test all the tubes and the only place that could do it had nothing to do with Audio: it serviced the world's merchant marine fleet — Cape Town is one of the few major commercial harbors in the southern hemisphere, 7,000 kilometers to South America, 11,000 km to Australia — long distances through the roughest seas in the world.

The owner got really excited every time I came in because I was such a switch from his normal routine, and he tested my tubes for free. His tube tester was serious — 10 feet long and 3 feet wide with hundreds of sockets, dials and knobs and meters.

He told me that Russian ships came in almost daily, from their fishing fleets to their freighters and tankers. They all had ship-to-shore radios that were still tube-based, and they had to test their tubes every landfall. And those radios were on 24/7, the law of the sea, they never knew when some fellow mariner might be sending an SOS, and they had to be on duty and on-air to hear the message and sail to the rescue.

He said he'd tested thousands of Russian tubes, and never found a bad one — and some were 60 years old, and been on the whole time. They didn't have "planned obsolescence" like the US and UK products, built to fail to make customers keep buying new ones.

I don't know if today's Russian tubes are as robust as the ones from the old Soviet era, nor if that would be a good thing for high-end audio purposes, because they were designed to withstand the pounding of gale-force waves crashing into their hulls, not to sit on sorbothane isolation pods in your living room — and to hear Morse code or a cry of distress at vocal frequencies, not to reproduce the subtle rubato of Heifetz's G-string.

The reason all our tubes today are from Russia or China is because their electronics still relied on tubes long after the West transistorized — one reason their economies fell behind — and they still have the skills and machines to make tubes, whereas we sold all ours for scrap.

This is an excellent story! Are any of the QUADs still alive? I've always wanted both a II and an ESL.

Some Russian tubes aren't quite as you describe. The Svetlana 6R3s in my Priboi for example, you pretty much look at them the wrong way and they short out. Always had respect for their tubes in general, though.

I lived in Cape Town, South Africa, during the 1980s...
Thanks for an interesting anecdote. I can say from personal experience that the unusually heavy Russian 6P36S television horizontal output tube will take a lot more punishment than its datasheet suggests, although that's generally true for Western TV power tubes as well.

Back
Top Bottom