Need Vintage Speakers that can handle my Pioneer SX1280

CavScout

185 WPC

I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus as well as DQ 10s but not sure if the receiver will blow them.

Opinions ?

Damage to speakers, either from overpowering them or under-powering them, usually isn't something that sneaks up on you. Back off the volume if things start to sound bad and you should be fine. You are almost always better off with too much power than not enough. Clean power (even too much) isn't as hard on a speaker as clipping (from not enough power) is. I power my floorstanders with amps capable of 700wpc each and there are no issues.

As far as what other potential speakers you could get that might put that power to use, well that is a very open-ended question that depends more on your preferences than anything else. And honestly, 185wpc really isn't that much power.

I have an SX1250 paired with JBL L166s. Way back in the day, my father had the same set up and as much as I tried, I never damaged them. I think the speakers you have will be fine.

If I ever find a nice pair of large ADSs, the JBLs will likely get sold.

If your in Connecticut (or near by), I have a set of Cerwin Vega E-712s that will take all your receiver can give them and want more, they handle 300wpc comfortably and with clean power will take a little more. They get no use because I run modded D9's that handle 400wpc+

Damage to speakers, either from overpowering them or under-powering them, usually isn't something that sneaks up on you. Back off the volume if things start to sound bad and you should be fine. You are almost always better off with too much power than not enough. Clean power (even too much) isn't as hard on a speaker as clipping (from not enough power) is. I power my floorstanders with amps capable of 700wpc each and there are no issues.

As far as what other potential speakers you could get that might put that power to use, well that is a very open-ended question that depends more on your preferences than anything else. And honestly, 185wpc really isn't that much power.

Precisely, that's why there are what they call "volume controls".

How do people get to the point of owning such equipment without awareness of the old volume knob maxim? I can't even remember a time where I thought that there was such a thing as "too many watts."

My Klipsch Chorus say max 100 watts continuous and max 1000 peak watts

With 101 watt efficiency your Chorus's will be at 120 db before you even reach 100 watts. Do you need to turn it up more than that?

Keep in mind that if you buy speakers that can take 200 watts but are only 98 db efficient you won't gain any volume over your current setup.

Just consider your extra power as headroom.

Pork loin I simply bought the speakers because they sounded really nice.
I am just respectfully asking for guidance from the experts out there.
I did not realize that the volume controls the wattage output.
Somebody once told me that the amp that you are putting to the speakers puts out its maximum rating at all times as soon as you turn it on regardless of volume
So I guess that is wrong?

Pork loin I simply bought the speakers because they sounded really nice.
I am just respectfully asking for guidance from the experts out there.
I did not realize that the volume controls the wattage output.
Somebody once told me that the amp that you are putting to the speakers puts out its maximum rating at all times as soon as you turn it on regardless of volume
So I guess that is wrong?
Yes the volume control is the "wattage control" as well. Think of it as a positive correlation: as the knob turn is increased, so is the wattage output to the speaker.

Pretty sure power and bass are related.

It takes a lot more power/watts to shake the walls than it does to play some screaming vocals.

Under perfect circumstances, you would need to double your amp's output power to double your volume. So with Klipsch Chorus speakers, you can (under the right circumstances) get 101db of volume from 1 watt, 104db from 2 watts, 107db from 4 watts, etc.

If you really wanted they could be powered by a 3 watt "flea" amp, but they can handle a much higher output when called upon to do so. With 185 watts at your disposal I think they will be just fine. Hook them up and see if you like the combinatipon. If you do, that's all that matters. :music:

As for the DQ-10's- they like lots of power. As others have said, if you notice them straining or distorting at higher volume just back down a little bit til they sound fine.

If you are going to blow up your speakers you'll hear it coming, as already stated the sound will tell you what to do with the volume control. If it sounds bad turn it down. What type of music do you listen to and how loud do you typically listen ?

Jazz rock , 90db

At that level you wil be using a watt or less of power. Try both pairs and decide which you prefer. The Klipsch will be much louder that the DQ-10s at the same power because they are much more efficient. Listen and report back.

Back
Top Bottom