Aiqin/Oldchen Tube Amps

BTW
I will check the power dissipation of the various power tubes just to make sure. But with 500 ohm cathode resistors, I suspect it should be OK.

Hi everyone,
I am a newbie and am about to score some Klipsch Synergy F2 or F3 high-efficiency speakers. I was thinking of getting the luxury version of the Oldchen/Aiqin EL34 with bluetooth.

Questions:
1. What is the best source? Aliexpress vs Ebay vs https://hifi-exquis.com/single-ende...es/98-version_levels-bluetooth_luxury_version ? Shipping charges are $78 from the Exquis online store.

2. I am concerned about the reported lack of efficacy of the bluetooth version. Does anyone know that it works? I would rather get this rather than mess around with a google chrome cast or a DAC in order to stream directly from my laptop or phone.

3. Finally, apart from the $7 difference in price, the black and silver luxury versions may be using slightly different components although the layout is identical.

oldchen-ocel34s-el34-single-ended-tube-amplifier.jpg

oldchen-el34-tube-amplifier.jpg

4. Anything else I should know before buying? Such as buying a set of replacement tubes at the same time?

Many thanks in advance. I found this forum extremely useful.

Hi everyone,
I am a newbie and am about to score some Klipsch Synergy F2 or F3 high-efficiency speakers. I was thinking of getting the luxury version of the Oldchen/Aiqin EL34 with bluetooth.

Questions:
1. What is the best source? Aliexpress vs Ebay vs https://hifi-exquis.com/single-ende...es/98-version_levels-bluetooth_luxury_version ? Shipping charges are $78 from the Exquis online store.

2. I am concerned about the reported lack of efficacy of the bluetooth version. Does anyone know that it works? I would rather get this rather than mess around with a google chrome cast or a DAC in order to stream directly from my laptop or phone.

3. Finally, apart from the $7 difference in price, the black and silver luxury versions may be using slightly different components although the layout is identical.

oldchen-ocel34s-el34-single-ended-tube-amplifier.jpg

oldchen-el34-tube-amplifier.jpg

4. Anything else I should know before buying? Such as buying a set of replacement tubes at the same time?

Many thanks in advance. I found this forum extremely useful.
The rival version I bought (same amp) came with PSvane tubes. I think it sounds fantastic. Might wanna put PSvanes on your radar.

I got the luxury version, not sure if it is better or not, but supposed to have better components.

Personally I would (and do) run mine with a chromecast audio. I wouldn't mess with the bluetooth version, due to the uncertainly of those components and the degradation in sound via bluetooth.

I run mine with 98db efficient Klipsch RF3-II and think it sounds great.

Enjoy!

I got the luxury version, not sure if it is better or not, but supposed to have better components.

Personally I would (and do) run mine with a chromecast audio. I wouldn't mess with the bluetooth version, due to the uncertainly of those components and the degradation in sound via bluetooth.

I run mine with 98db efficient Klipsch RF3-II and think it sounds great.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip. I'll avoid the bluetooth version. Unfortunately, I intend to stream music from my macbook iTunes as well as from my android phone; chrome cast is not a good option for the mac. What about this? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...00I59VBH4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Still trying to find out the best website to buy it on.

Last edited:
Regardless of the kind of digital input I wouldn't expect it's internal DAC to be all that great.

Rather than paying more for the DAC equipped amp I'd buy the regular version and take the money saved and spend it on a tiny HiFiMe DAC.

I'm a newbie. Please walk me through exactly how I would connect my mac laptop or android phone as the digital music source to play wirelessly through the Oldchen amp via speakers. Is it something like: Laptop--> iTunes--> Airplay-->Chromecast Audio-->DAC--> Amp--> Speakers?

I downloaded the CCA app on my tablet and cast from the tablet ( or phone ) to the CCA:

CCA ( via mini optical to standard optical cable ) -> DAC -> amp -> speakers

Since the CCA has it's own DAC you can use it but it won't sound quite as good as a stand alone DAC. Try it first and see what you think.

The CCA comes with a mini 3.5 cable but will require a 3.5 to RCA adaptor cable to use with the amp if you use the CCA's internal DAC. The CCA has one output port which accepts either the 3.5 cable or mini optical.

Don't want to side track this thread but the CCA is beyond incredible. Every AK member needs one whether they know it or not. I'll buy my third one today for $30 at BB when they price match Walmart.

Last edited:
I am currently working on my PAS2 and have my CCA going straight into my Maggie amp. Sounds great, and it can be controlled by my phone, tablet, iPad and laptop. Sounds a little better with my cheap DiiO D3. IMHO CCA sounds pretty decent as a stand alone source.

Cheers

I bought the amp that you are talking about. The luxury version and love it. I purchased mine from Ebay, a Chinese seller that stocks them in the US. Sorry, I can't remember the name but do a search on Ebay and check the ship from info. I think I paid a few dollars more but I received the amp in three days and didn't have to wait forever to get the amp...

A thread for discussing Oldchen or Aiqin tube amplifiers, particularly the EL34 amp that many of us have been buying.

View attachment 745229

Yes, I've come to really love that amp. So much so that when I stumbled across the Oldchen KT88-K3 push/pull amp today I've placed an order for it.

I'm hoping it's better than my Yaqin MC10T despite being priced lower. Point to point wiring is a clear step up over the Yaqin.

I've ordered with no tubes so I can use my own stock of 6P3S-E and 6H8C tubes. The same tubes which I found fantastic in the little SEP amp actually :)

I finally got around to ordering some NOS Sylvania 5U4GB and Melz 6H9C tubes. If things improve further on the SEP amp I'll be amazed. It's customers my favourite amp.

It will be fun burning in the new Oldchen KT88-K3 once received too

Ok, I recieved my new Oldchen amp. It's better than my upgraded Yaqin MC10T out of the box despite some pretty poor signal tubes

IMG_20170809_205813.jpg

Currently running 4x Tung Sol KT120, 2x Reflektor 6H8C and 1x Shugang CV121-Z. Waiting for better NOS preamp tubes to arrive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom