My fix for Pioneer PL-518 feet

dobyman

Turntable Addict
I recently bought a gorgeous Pioneer PL-518, that had all 4 feet detached. As most of you know, this is a ongoing problem with 518 tables. The foam deteriorates, and the feet fall off. Luckily the lady had kept all 4 feet, springs, screws, etc.
I went on ebay and paid almost $40 for 4 Sorbothane feet to replace these. But then I got to thinking that there must be a way to repair these.
Since I had all of the parts, it couldn't be too hard to some up with a fix. I went to the hardware store and bought a 1/2" PVC coupler, and some 1-1/8" plastic chair leg tips.
First remove the rest of the foam sleeve from the foot.
feet9.jpg
feet8.jpg
Then cut a 3/8" ring off of your PVC coupler, and glue it onto the foot.
feet7.JPG
Take the rubber piece that should be left attached to the table bottom and trim off the excess rubber until it fits inside the PVC ring. Glue it in the PVC ring.
feet6.JPG
Set the spring onto the rubber.
feet5.JPG
Then take one of your leg tips and drill a hole in the top for the screw to come through.
feet4.JPG
feet3.JPG
The original screws are too short, and I only had a long screw but I put it in just to show. The leg tip slides down over the PVC ring and it acts like a shock absorber.
feet1.JPG
Total cost for all 4 feet is under $5. I need to re-do my first one here, and make the PVC a little longer and the leg tip a little shorter, but I think its a decent economic fix for a common problem. You can also paint the PVC ring black so it doesn't show.
As I said, this only works if you have the original parts, but I am on a mission to find a way to build replacements at a decent price for future projects.

Looks like a good fix. You also may want to put a bit of foam inside the springs to dampen some spring motion. The proof will be how well it isolates from bumps and footfalls. Please report back with your follow up.

Wow. Impressive. My PL-540 had the same issue, and I ended up replacing the stock feet (what was left of them) with new, after-market Technics SL 1200 feet. That has worked pretty well so far, especially since my floor is tiled, so footfall is not an issue. One issue I noticed is that the table puts different amounts of load on each foot because of how the weight of the components is distributed. I believe that's why the original springs were of different strength in each foot. Mine no longer had the springs. Did yours?

Nice fix. Thanks for sharing. I had a similar problem with my PL-560. I just slathered black Shoe Goo over all the rotted rubber and stuck it back together. So far it has held up. But your solution looks more durable.

Wow. Impressive. My PL-540 had the same issue, and I ended up replacing the stock feet (what was left of them) with new, after-market Technics SL 1200 feet. That has worked pretty well so far, especially since my floor is tiled, so footfall is not an issue. One issue I noticed is that the table puts different amounts of load on each foot because of how the weight of the components is distributed. I believe that's why the original springs were of different strength in each foot. Mine no longer had the springs. Did yours?
Mine had the springs, luckily.

Great fix.
I also have a pl 540 with rotting(but complete) feet.
I have been thinking of ways to repair them and this looks like the best method I've seen so far.

Looks like a good fix. You also may want to put a bit of foam inside the springs to dampen some spring motion. The proof will be how well it isolates from bumps and footfalls. Please report back with your follow up.
The foam sounds like a real good idea. Ill add that. Ill post more pics with changes as I do the other feet. Thanks for all of the positives.

I'm a hardware fix kind of guy. I would love to be the tech guy, but that's not my thing, If I can fix it at Menards, that's perfect! I am thankful that I can help another AK member. AK members have helped me so many times in the past, I feel good knowing I can help any other member fix anything, Even a foot problem! I love this group!

Luckily, i discovered a seller on ebay selling the replacement rubber for the OEM feet. I purchased them for about $30 including shipping. they are a fantastic fit and the rubber seems to be pretty similar to the originals in terms of elasticity/pliability. Just be sure to mark feet where you used the green and blue springs for the rear. I installed today, and they are like new again. Great dampening. It seems the seller does not sell these consistently, however if you contact him he'll let you know when they are going to post back up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Rubber-Insulators-for-Turntable-Feet-Repair-of-PL-518-PL-540-PL-560/224222073321?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Luckily, i discovered a seller on ebay selling the replacement rubber for the OEM feet. I purchased them for about $30 including shipping. they are a fantastic fit and the rubber seems to be pretty similar to the originals in terms of elasticity/pliability. Just be sure to mark feet where you used the green and blue springs for the rear. I installed today, and they are like new again. Great dampening. It seems the seller does not sell these consistently, however if you contact him he'll let you know when they are going to post back up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Rubber-Insulators-for-Turntable-Feet-Repair-of-PL-518-PL-540-PL-560/224222073321?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I believe the add on ebay is Audiokarma member "slobrain" 's. I bought a set too and they work great. PM him.

Back
Top Bottom