My Klipschorn placement option, no s.

c-atle-79bay

Hi, I'm going to try and look at a set of klipshorn shortly, but wanted to know if they will even work for me based on the option I have for placement, see image below, I have issues with nasty reflections on the opposite end of the room, it's a hard room for anything loud.

Thankslisteningspace.png .

Would it work? I guess it would work. Would it sound good? I don't know.

My understanding is you want some length of wall from the back of the speaker (3-4 feet) as this is the final flair of the horn. You might get mis-matched sound with the right side getting full extension and the left side being a bit thin. (but I don't know this for fact)

Could you place them on the short wall (far right side) so both have a corner and just rotate the couch? Basically rotating the room 90 degrees to the right.

Are you in this house for long term? If not, get them, live with them until you make your move.

If it IS long term, then get them, try them and sell them if it doesn't work.

I would get rid go the couch and get some nice recliners to pull away from the wall. With your head close to the wall there will be some very over emphasized and non linear bass. Plus you will be way off axis of the tweeters and midrange. So its going to be important that you are able to move your seating position around to get the best presentation and spectrum balance. Plus you don't want to be seated near a corner either, more exaggerated bass.

Folks with conventional speakers can leave their seating position alone a first and move their speakers for best balance. Then for a final touch up move their seating position. You have only the choice of moving your position. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply's. Unfortunately the positions of furniture in that room are all finalized the only thing I can do the speakers and just a few little feet either direction in those corners

It might work though the space strikes me as a bit small for K-horns. That and the uneven corners (one proper, one truncated)

As an aside , per your diagram that looks to be the world's biggest couch !

Less than perfect placement of your Khorns doesn't mean they're junk. The placement of mine is far from optimum, and they still sound great as far as I'm concerned.

Is your diagram to scale? Will the L Khorn really come all the way to that outside corner as drawn? Hopefully the speaker won't protrude past that corner, and it would be even better if it recesses. I also have less-than-optimal placement for my L Korn, and they still sound great. I notice no imbalance, but am using the new Klipsch 15" subwoofer with them...

Of course, you drew the cornerhorns as square, but they are five-sided. If your recess is deeper than 22" for that left corner, that will help. So how deep is it?

You'll be sitting a bit close, but I've seen a couple in even tighter spots - your room opening up to your left may even help in some respects. I would pull that couch forward a little if possible, as twiiii wrote above it may sound boomy with your head that close to the wall - but that's true for most speakers, not a Klipsch thing... a room thing.

Last edited:
On the one wall, they actually would just about fill the entire corner, perhaps about 3 in short. As it stands the room plays hell for music, think i have approval to create acoustic panels though, so going to make that a summer project when my honeydo is done. And yeah I'm sure they would/will sound great regardless. I'm going to go check out some older chapman audio t7's and the realization is making me think of other speakers in the price range.

P. Klipsch designed his Khorns (not coined by him, incidentally) to be placed in the corners of a room, with a heresy in the middle to fill in the third phantom channel. fyi.

Vinyl fiend, you may want to shade your statement slightly about the Heresy genesis. It wasn't until the third decade of Klipschorn production that Paul introduced the Heresy(1967)

Vinyl fiend, you may want to shade your statement slightly about the Heresy genesis. It wasn't until the third decade of Klipschorn production that Paul introduced the Heresy(1967)

Dave, you're off by a decade on the Heresy. It was introduced in 1957, per Klipsch.

Sam, here are a couple sources..

file:///C:/Users/daves/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/H700%20Review.pdf

X. HERITAGE PRODUCTION NOTES & TIME LINES:

1. HERESY:

• 1957: The Heresy is introduced as a center channel for the Klipschorn. It is the first Klipsch speaker that does not require corner placement. This model utilized the K-1000 midrange horn. These are rare, and one example in the Museum in Hope is the rarest of all the Klipsch Heritage speakers.
  • 1957 - 1959: Both 8" and 12" woofer versions were produced during this period.
  • 1967 - The H-700 is introduced in the now familiar format using a 12" K-22 woofer (There were several variants used E, EF, K) K-700 horn; K-55-V mid-range and the K-77 (T-35 type Alnico magnet) tweeter.
  • From this date through the end of the model run in 1985, various networks were used: Type C, Type E and Type E-2. All were variations on the same design.
  • 1972-1973: The Heresy's name is changed from H-700 to Heresy.
  • I never had a conversation with Jim Hunter about the original Heresy, but others indicated that the original Heresy was the rarest of the Heritage line. The H700 was fired up in 66-67 timeframe, and is quite common, with the modern Heresy being circa 73-74. The production number of original Heresies I have heard is 14, but I have no idea of the accuracy.

Correct. When Paul invented the KHorn in 1940 music was monophonic HiFi and most people only bought one. He was also instrumental in developing stereophonic reproduction so people would buy a second speaker. He was no dummy.

I think the 12 foot wall will be fine. The 14 foot wall would be better though. I have one of mine next to dinning room with a false corner a fixed to it works fine.

Attachments

• DSCF0462.JPG
    DSCF0462.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 25
As you can see by my avatar, I have mine in my studio which is 12 x 15'. The left one is in front of two corner windows and the room is full of keyboards, cabinets and two electronic pianos. Sounds fine.

StusArts_a_12-20-13.JPG

Back
Top Bottom