Who actually 'loves' there gear.

I don't "love" items. I love people. Any piece of gear, even if irreplaceable, can be replaced. My mother cannot be replaced. My spouse is irreplaceable.

It's just stuff.

Hey, I loved ripping around in my '70 SS454 Monte Carlo in the eighties but I still loved my music/gear more even then. More than my wife/children? No. Granted love is a strong word, but appropriate in context.

I am very satified with my speakers and dont want them gone. So I crawled under my house and screwed them to the floor. The kids cant mess with the placement, they would be very hard to steal, and it helps with the coupling..or something.

I am very satified with my speakers and dont want them gone. So I crawled under my house and screwed them to the floor. The kids cant mess with the placement, they would be very hard to steal, and it helps with the coupling..or something.
I'm laughing my arse off. Screwed to the floor that is hard core brother! :bowdown:

Those stains on the speaker grill aren't coffee creamer.
That's not true, I'm just using my gear to get some music.
What can I say, I'm a pig.
11121.jpg

Hey Hey Hey!

This post is not pig approved. And this image was used without consent.

Fake News!

Those chickens are despicable, and will resort to the lowest of low behaviors to besmirch a pigs good name.

Regards
Mister Pig

Oddly the gear I have the most emotional connection to is not the best gear.

My H/K 330c has been a constant companion for something like 23 years now. I was dumb when I got it, there's a mark on the face where I straightened it with a pair of pliers. I "fixed" some scratchy controls back in the day by dousing the pots in WD-40. I know better now, and I have better gear now, but someday I will fix/restore it.

Other gear I have an affinity for:

Pioneer PD-M910. yeah, it's a damn CD player. Other than the Burr-Brown DACs there's nothing about it that hasn't been eclipsed by more modern stuff. It won't play SACD, DVD-A, or even decode HDCD. But it has freakin' rosewood veneer side panels, and pop the top on it and you realize that it was Pioneer's best effort back when it was built to make a truly top shelf unit. Yeah, it's a changer but it has a damn COPPER CHASSIS. I could just go get a gently used Oppo 105 which would do so much more but it's kind of cool to have the SOTA of back in the day.

Sansui QRX-7001: this guy does everything. Swiss Army knife of 70s receivers. And it looks cool too. Someday I will get a 9001 and hate my life as I pin all the pass throughs.

Luxman R-1120: this is a love hate relationship. It's broken. Again. But again, SOTA for the time, at least as far as receivers go..

AR XA: it's a (expletive deleted) icon. This one isn't a love/hate, it's mostly love, but it does require a solid stand.

Technics SL-1650: see AR XA supra. No, it's not a SL-1200 Mk2 but it shares a lot of genes with the Mk1 and it's rock (expletive deleted) solid. Definitely a milestone in Technics history.

I guess what I like about gear, secondary to the intrinsic "it sounds good" quality, is historical significance and/or that said gear was at/near top shelf status when it was made and shows the pride of the designers, and even if it has a mass market brand name was still their "statement piece" if you will.

Now here's the funny thing - the best gear I have sonically is probably my H/K 700 series stack. But it's all silver colored plastic and it doesn't near inspire affection from me as much as, say, the broken Scott 340B that I will restore someday, I promise. Something about real wood and aluminum that makes me overlook sonic deficiencies, although I can't say how big they are as I've never actually listened to said Scott.

No, I don't have any McIntosh, Phase Linear, Accuphase etc, gear... yet...

I really like my gear, but at the end of the day it is stuff.

The best thing I ever bought is my 2006 Corvette. Now that is something that I am close to loving....but that could be quickly gotten over with a new 2018!

+1 without the music there would be no reason to own gear, much less like it.

Yea, I get the love of gear. I have gear that i would never be rid of... and some I thought I'd never be rid of... sound quality is what has me hang on to gear.. I have a rare Natinal Panasonic (not much value) that is probably one of my favorite amps. And currently listening to my A-71 from another AKer. Neither amps will ever leave me.. so I fully understand the love of the gear, I'm just no stickler, and can say I listen to music all day, on crap gear to my Main rig with a set of Snells... if it sounds good to me, I listen. I really do love music, I have a strong passion for audio in general.

If I were able to leave my job to work in music/audio I'd quite tomorrow.. maybe one day I'll figure it out. :)

Kind Regards,
John

Hey Hey Hey!

This post is not pig approved. And this image was used without consent.

Fake News!

Those chickens are despicable, and will resort to the lowest of low behaviors to besmirch a pigs good name.

Regards
Mister Pig

I was wondering what the hell was going on...

Fake news!!! Love it!!!

Kind Regards,
John

I think some of it is cool and it makes nice sounds, but I don;t feel about it like I have felt about cars I have owned in the past.

Back
Top Bottom