Infinity Kappa 7 Empty Cabinets, Worth the Work???

Soundjunky

Hi Everyone, Question, Kappa 7 empty cabs, no crossovers either. I have the correct round metal plate Emit tweeters and I have improper 2" foam midranges, the 3" are very expensive, & so are the 12" cast frame woofers. But I have a set of EV cast frame 12" woofers which need a refoam and the magnets are 7 pounds each. I located crossovers for around a $100pr, but I already have a set of Infinity 3 way crossovers which I have forgotten the model number, but they are the original matches for the Emit tweeters, though they did have 3" or 4" midranges and 10" woofers. I would still have to cut and fit a pair of plates to go over the crossover holes in the rear of the cab. These cabs (empty) are expensive at $200-275 a pair on eBay (in good shape), so $75 for the pair is not bad, in fine shape, cabs & grills, 9.5 of 10, currently sitting in the front window of a pawn shop (the grills fading daily). I may be able to make a few trades & get them without any cash changing hands, due to the fact I'm speaker rich, but cash poor. With the parts and resources, I may only have to buy surrounds for my EV 12s and I think I have those instock too, finished speakers. The only issue is 2" instead of the proper 3" midrange domes. I'm not going to rob my Kappa 6.1s of their mids, unless I were to come up with correct crossovers/rear plates (one piece) & proper 12" Infinity woofers. In the future it could happen. Then I would sub the 2" mids in the Kappa 6.1s, but I'd have complete & correct Kappa 7s in super nice shape, (also I could find a set of 3" mids). So what are your thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

There's a Infinity forum, maybe people over there can help you better. I had a pair of Infinity Kappa 7.1 and they were great speakers.

That's a tough call. I'm an infinity fan man but I don't know with that much missing. I've never owned them but I've read many threads on them. Some say sweet, others not so much. They seem to command pretty decent prices but as you say parts aren't cheap if your going to do a faithful rebuild.

I had the sixes, bare cabinets in beautiful condition given to me and pondered it for the longest time. Eventually decided it would cost to much. I tried to give the cabinets away for free here and on craigslist and diyaudio with no takers. Summer cleaning they went to the curb, and on to the landfill.

I've found that it is usually more expensive to rebuild something when it's missing so much of what made it what it was than to simply purchase a more complete unit. If you're doing it for the challenge, then that is an entirely different proposition. Exceptionally rare pieces, say a pair of Beveridge speakers, might entice me.

If you just want some speakers to listen to music, might be just fine stuffing them with random drivers.
If you want Infinity Kappa 7's, I'd say it might be cheaper and faster to just buy some working Infinity Kappa 7's.
As you probably know, the dome midranges on them are a weak spot, and good used ones *might* be pricey.
Patience and persistent shopping might be needed to gather the proper drivers for an "affordable" price.

If you just want some speakers to listen to music, might be just fine stuffing them with random drivers.
If you want Infinity Kappa 7's, I'd say it might be cheaper and faster to just buy some working Infinity Kappa 7's.
As you probably know, the dome midranges on them are a weak spot, and good used ones *might* be pricey.
Patience and persistent shopping might be needed to gather the proper drivers for an "affordable" price.

IIRC, compatible replacement dome drivers were $120 each, but I forgot the company that offered them. There was a pair locally that needed mids and I looked into availability. In retrospect, I should have bought the Kappa 7s.

If it was me and I knew what I was doing with the crossovers I would get some different drivers and have fun with them. I think K7s are usually priced reasonable complete.

Hello All AKer's, Thanks for the advice and suggestion, much to digest, cost being the issue. Simply because I would want them as close to correct as possible. I got in touch with a friend who would fit in well here, but uses the AK site for information. He offered me a pair of 12" 8ohm Infinity woofers (pressed steel basket) that just need foam, I'd have to send him shipping. So I head to the pawn shop with a few sets of speakers to trade. I was hoping I could get the cabs in a straight trade. Now bad news, he had all the parts ready to list on eBay Well someone had noticed the cast frame woofers on the counter. The guy offered $300 for everything & hauled off several boxes of goodies & cabs. Pawn shop owner said it would be better than waiting for the parts to sell. All they needed were foams! Check out the prices on nice sets of the Kappa 7's & not 7.1s. The buyer got a deal, had I thought of it, I'd taken more audio merchandise, plus cash if an agreement couldn't be reached. I just didn't think about it, I was centered on acquiring the cabs for a super low buck refit. I really thought I was about to pull together a very close set of Kappa7's. I still have my set of Kappa 6.1's with upgraded woofers (driver technology marches on). Oh well, that's life.

I had the sixes, bare cabinets in beautiful condition given to me and pondered it for the longest time. Eventually decided it would cost to much. I tried to give the cabinets away for free here and on craigslist and diyaudio with no takers. Summer cleaning they went to the curb, and on to the landfill.
I wish we lived closer and I knew you then!

Me too, at the very least I'd have paid 1/2 the shipping to get them to someone, they literally looked like they'd just come from the factory with grills. I walked them to the trash at least 3 times, brought them back everytime. Unfortunately I'm not the hoarder type, I like to keep things tidy.

Sadly I still am (no thrift stores, pawn shops or CL), but on my way home, about a month back, I saw a pile of stuff at the street. It was all kinds of stuff, an "open to everything", hoarders dream. Only thing that caught my eye a powered subwoofer the size of an old desk top computer tower. I promised my brother I would not buy any thing else, that's why I was going to the pawn shop with what I listed, but in reality I had a good deal more in the car. The subwoofer (free) worked fine & I will likely give it to my girlfriend along with a 5.1 A/V receiver(Sony) and 5 small 2 way speakers(Yamaha, but all cheap thrift store stuff). I took a 2.1 computer speaker set & hooked it to the TV, in all honesty I was tired of listening to the TV speakers, in her 55" 4K TV with a Bluray player. Now she's hooked, she knows better stuff exist. I figured I'd give her a beginner system before she spends too much on a box system - sound bar & tiny subwoofer. I don't think it would sound better than the Altec Lansing 6" sub & 3 way satellites. Thanks again for the thought, it counts!

Back
Top Bottom