Looks like my Onkyo has crapped out again, Goodbye Onkyo.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Talk about a love hate relationship. Purchased my TX-NR709 from Crutchfield back in 2012. Loved it. But that first one had a right channel PA failure and Dc'ed the woofer on a cherished Warfdale W35 speaker. Crutchfield promptly replaced it. The replacement went for a couple of years and it had the infamous Onkyo HDMI board death, Onkyo fixed that on the recall. Now it seems the HDMI board has failed again. There is output but it is not seeing the input from any of the HDMI stuff I have plugged in Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Firestick, or my PC. It did this once before a couple of weeks ago and unplugging it got it working, not this time. I can't even see it on screen setup menus. It is not worth fixing if I have to pay for it. Looking at a Yamaha to replace it, no more Onkyo. The Yamaha has all of the modern goodies this Onkyo does not have, built in Airplay, Bluetooth, Atmos. Etc. I made sure it does have a phono input. I am thinking about my Brothers Sansui system it has been going without a hitch since the late 1970's, they just don't build them like they used to.

Last edited:
Looking at the Yamaha Aventage RX-A770. It's power output 95 WPC more or less matches the 110 WPC the Onkyo has at least I will not be able to tell the difference so it looks like a good replacement. Is there anything else I should be looking at in the +/- $700 Dollars range?

Last edited:
I have had great luck with Sony's mid range and up items for years but when my Marants SR4002 dies I will go with Marantz again. I had two buddies in my Mustang club that had your exact same unit and had the exact same luck with it. Onkyo scares me to death now.

My dad had an Onkyo, but then the radio died, so he replaced it with a Marantz. He was not sure what to do with the Onkyo, and I have a friend who needed a receiver, so we gave it to him. His TV had one HDMI in, but he had three things for it; Onkyo solved that until the HDMI board died. At the very least he can still use the optical inputs from his different components, but yeah, not as good.

Similar story here. I have a TX-SR805 that lost the HDMI board first. Then the display went out. I repaired the display and have used it as a dac/amp for my desktop PC. Does a great job powering a set of Polk RTA 12c's in my computer room.Unfortunately I replaced the Onkyo with a Yamaha 673 and lost the HDMI board on that as well. Since then It started popping badly and then just stopped working at all. I have given up on AVRs and am running a nice 2.1 system for my TV. Sounds good to me.

Talk about a love hate relationship. Purchased my TX-NR709 from Crutchfield back in 2012. Loved it. But that first one had a right channel PA failure and Dc'ed the woofer on a cherished Warfdale W35 speaker. Crutchfield promptly replaced it. The replacement went for a couple of years and it had the infamous Onkyo HDMI board death, Onkyo fixed that on the recall. Now it seems the HDMI board has failed again. There is output but it is not seeing the input from any of the HDMI stuff I have plugged in Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Firestick, or my PC. It did this once before a couple of weeks ago and unplugging it got it working, not this time. I can't even see it on screen setup menus. It is not worth fixing if I have to pay for it. Looking at a Yamaha to replace it, no more Onkyo. The Yamaha has all of the modern goodies this Onkyo does not have, built in Airplay, Bluetooth, Atmos. Etc. I made sure it does have a phono input. I am thinking about my Brothers Sansui system it has been going without a hitch since the late 1970's, they just don't build them like they used to.

All brands have this HDMI issue. Boards are not desigbed to run for more than 3 years. Makes assume that by that time receiver will be replaced with new one. Getting cheap on componenta allows them to save up to $10 on every unit. It is a big deal in high volume production. Onkyo just went too far and their units fail after only two years. But when you buy a new unit, you never know how well it is done, unless it is high-end device. Even then there is no guarantee.

Yamaha receivers are actually not that good in sound quality. Check for Marantz or Anthem.

I've owned over a dozen AVRs, the ones that have been rock solid are yamaha, denon, pioneer, and anthem. I've had 3 sonys, including 2 ES, one of the ES lost a mosfet, the other two are rock solid. I've had 2 onkyos develop the HDMI issues.

I've owned over a dozen AVRs, the ones that have been rock solid are yamaha, denon, pioneer, and anthem. I've had 3 sonys, including 2 ES, one of the ES lost a mosfet, the other two are rock solid. I've had 2 onkyos develop the HDMI issues.

Thank you this is just the sort of report I was looking for. I was looking at the Denon, and Yamaha. I decided on the Yamaha for several reasons. As a Amateur Radio operator who works on radios I really love the lay out of the Yamaha's chassis, and it's design it would make for easier servicing, and better air flow for cooling. I like the automated audio equalizer the Yamaha has it is a system they developed starting back in the late 1980's Yamaha calls their system YPAO which is short for Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimiser. Most everyone else uses a variation of Audessy's system which didn't work right on my Onkyo TX-NR709 a crap microphone caused it's problem.

My Onkyo's HDMI board again failed, this failed board was one replaced by Onkyo just short of a year ago in the recall. Onkyo it seems cut even corners on it's reworked replacement HDMI boards.

I have been reading about issues people are having with the Denon, and Yamaha's. The vast majority where not with the AVR's but with stuff plugged into their HDMI ports.

Last edited:
All brands have this HDMI issue. Boards are not desigbed to run for more than 3 years. Makes assume that by that time receiver will be replaced with new one. Getting cheap on componenta allows them to save up to $10 on every unit. It is a big deal in high volume production. Onkyo just went too far and their units fail after only two years. But when you buy a new unit, you never know how well it is done, unless it is high-end device. Even then there is no guarantee.

Yamaha receivers are actually not that good in sound quality. Check for Marantz or Anthem.

Oh please, every brand does NOT have this issue. If you do have proof of that statement please post some links.

I have a Denon 591 bought in July of 2010 that has been used nearly every day since and still works beautifully. I think these Onkyos just cook themselves to death.

I also think people plug in all their HDMI stuff and shove the receiver into the back of a cabinet or tv stand, not paying any attention to whether the cables sticking out have enough clearance. If they're pushing against the back wall or something the connectors are getting flexed inside the receiver and you're just setting yourself up for failure.

Last edited:
I have a Denon 591 bought in July of 2010 that has been used nearly every day since and still works beautifully. I think these Onkyos just cook themselves to death.
I think you are correct. My 709 seemed to run much warmer then it should have given the load on it. The location of the finals I thought was a very poor design decision. It is up front behind the front panel. They have a fan blowing across it from left to right, it would have been better to have the fan blowing up and out. But the PA board should have been placed at the back where fan could have been placed at the back to draw air out of the whole chassis, As it is there is no vent on the right side of the case to let the air naturally blow out of the insides so the hot air from the finals is trapped inside until it can excite through the top. Using A tubeaxial fan is a very poor choice at any rate you need to blow off them of occasionally to clean them. When the blades get coated with dust and lint they do not move as much air. The HDMI board is in the back up top and has very poor air circulation. Onkyo really cut corners on the capacitors used on the HDMI boards which was the real root of the problem the heat degrades them, they make radial capacitors that can handle higher temperatures but Onkyo didn't use them.

Here is the basic layout of the Yamaha's this photo is minus all of the interconnects and some of the boards but you can see how beautifully throught out it internal layout is.

IMG_1584.PNG

Last edited:
Similar story here. I have a TX-SR805 that lost the HDMI board first. Then the display went out. I repaired the display and have used it as a dac/amp for my desktop PC. Does a great job powering a set of Polk RTA 12c's in my computer room.Unfortunately I replaced the Onkyo with a Yamaha 673 and lost the HDMI board on that as well. Since then It started popping badly and then just stopped working at all. I have given up on AVRs and am running a nice 2.1 system for my TV. Sounds good to me.
I have issues with my RX-v673 also. I have only used it for music in testing, but when first turning on it has trouble locking onto the signal for 3-5min (in and out). Once past that, it's OK. Only gave a buck for it, so no great loss, but I did by a remote for it:mad:

I have issues with my RX-v673 also. I have only used it for music in testing, but when first turning on it has trouble locking onto the signal for 3-5min (in and out). Once past that, it's OK. Only gave a buck for it, so no great loss, but I did by a remote for it:mad:
Assuming you have a smart phone you could have loaded the control App for it.

Thank you this is just the sort of report I was looking for. I was looking at the Denon, and Yamaha. I decided on the Yamaha for several reasons. As a Amateur Radio operator who works on radios I really love the lay out of the Yamaha's chassis, and it's design it would make for easier servicing, and better air flow for cooling. I like the automated audio equalizer the Yamaha has it is a system they developed starting back in the late 1980's Yamaha calls their system YPAO which is short for Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimiser. Most everyone else uses a variation of Audessy's system which didn't work right on my Onkyo TX-NR709 a crap microphone caused it's problem.

My Onkyo's HDMI board again failed, this failed board was one replaced by Onkyo just short of a year ago in the recall. Onkyo it seems cut even corners on it's reworked replacement HDMI boards.

I have been reading about issues people are having with the Denon, and Yamaha's. The vast majority where not with the AVR's but with stuff plugged into their HDMI ports.

I just wanted to add I only purchased 2 AVR new (1 pioneer, 1 sony non ES). The rest are thrift store finds, and craigslist purchases. So you can assume possible abuse. My onkyos did run particularly hot, but so does the current Yamaha I'm using (RX-z7). I always use a laptop cooler on top of any of my AVR. Also, I think my pioneers were the coolest running.

All brands have this HDMI issue. Boards are not desiged to run for more than 3 years. Makes assume that by that time receiver will be replaced with new one.

I call BS on this - I bought an Integra DTC 9.8 preamp/Processor USED and its been in place over 8 years ago now - the original HDMI
is still working fine - the ONLY issue it ever had is a bit of crosstalk in the radio, and since I never really use the radio - its moot.

I just wanted to add I only purchased 2 AVR new (1 pioneer, 1 sony non ES). The rest are thrift store finds, and craigslist purchases. So you can assume possible abuse. My onkyos did run particularly hot, but so does the current Yamaha I'm using (RX-z7). I always use a laptop cooler on top of any of my AVR. Also, I think my pioneers were the coolest running.

My units were never setup in a cabinet either. The Onkyo, like most everyone else ran hot from day 1 but the Yamaha never seemed to be really warm. I liked the sound of both of them but not really very happy with the problems they created. I am looking into a good HDMI switch that maybe will help route everything but for now have no plans to setup anything more than 2.1 anywhere in the house.

I have talked to tech friends who have repaired the HDMI boards of Onkyo's they have all told me the issue with what they have looked at is cheap capacitors if you have a work station setup for SMD's the fix is rather easy. After checking voltages. You simply replace all of the radial caps on the board. If a CPU or other IC is the problem that is different because you cannot purchase those as desecrate parts. Replace the radial cap's with Panasonics, my favorite, or another quality brand and that's it. The fact that Onkyo cut corners with the capacitors is a huge indictment of the company. Even worse they stonewalled this issue for several years.

Last edited:
I have/had an Onkyo 906 that had an hdmi board fail in abt 3 yrs - sitting in 'free air', with a temp controlled set of fans running on it even.
I did read that replacing the caps on it does 'fix it', so, maybe, someday...in the meantime I still use it as a non-hdmi shop amp/radio (it does have HD Radio FM!).
Even with all that and fairly efficient speakers, the thing runs HOT, even at 'idle'.
Still unforgiveable for a >$2k receiver, though, so Onkyo gets no second chance with me (not to mention a nearly inscrutable UI, and weird MP3/lan setup).
Over the years I've just had poor experience with receivers - mostly short life spans, and all seemed to run pretty hot.
It just seems to me that all that is too much 'heat' to put all in one package, only made worse by HDMI/processor boards, so won't ever get another one.
Never had a failure with a preamp or pre/pro yet - I almost got the the Integra/Onkyo pre/pro instead of the 906, and don't think they had anywhere near the failure rate - no amps on board.
Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom