Having computer problems....help needed

OK, I clicked on all the SATA choices, here`s the results:
I shut down the PC, and one by one, removed each cable, and plugged it in, then removed it, did each one 7 or 8 times like that, hoping to clean the contacts. Powered up again, still no boot-up, everything was the same as before.
Let's do this
Maxx can you check the SATA cable connection to the motherboard?
Can you check the power cable to the hard drive?
Connect the cables that are connected to the DVD-ROM to the hard drive... If still yo don see the hard drive, we have a real problem.

If you post a picture I can indicate what is what and what to check

Sounds like a failed hard drive to me as well. Are you anywhere near northwest Ohio? I could help you.

you have a disk access problem.
1. drive is dead - try to touch the sides after power-up - should feel vibration.
dead drives tend not to power up or clicks or something not normal.
2. trace the sata cable from drive to motherboard.- early internal sata cables did not
have a snap connection (brackets on side that snap to pegs on motherboard)
a. early systems had separate power connectors - try swapping CDROM power
cable with SATA drive cable - if you have a two part (power and signal) cable drive
b. some later systems have a single cable (power and signal) try swapping CDrom
and sata drive cable set.

My guess is that you have a connection problem. try swapping cables as per 2a or 2b.

take a picture and post - I may have extras I can send you for testing or the fix.

Bob

Let's do this

Connect the cables that are connected to the DVD-ROM to the hard drive... If still yo don see the hard drive, we have a real problem.
Do this. And connect the DVD to the hard drive cables. Restart and go into the BIOS again and see if they show up. This will let you know if it's the drive or the board.

Let's do this
Maxx can you check the SATA cable connection to the motherboard?
Can you check the power cable to the hard drive?

If you post a picture I can indicate what is what and what to check

Not sure if this is what you need:

upload_2017-8-15_15-8-23.png
upload_2017-8-15_15-8-54.png

Not sure if this is what you need:
Ok brother this is what we need to do.

1. Grab a vacuum
2. Remove the right side panel
3. Vacuum the hell out the computer and fans
4. Grab the 2 cables connected to the dvd rom and connect it to the hard drive. (that will let us know if the problem is with the hard drive or the cables or sata connector on the motherboard)

upload_2017-8-15_15-8-23.png

If the Hard Drive is dead, is ok... you can replace it even with a SSD, improving greatly the speed of the PC.

Last edited:
Yeah i'm pretty inclined to think your hard drive just crapped out . Probably just a coincidence you had a windows update. I'm no expert but my friend who fixes pcs for a living says 5 years is the general reliable life span for a hard drive. ( I understand they can live much longer but the the reliable part is where this comes into play). I use acronis and clone my hard drive periodically. If it dies at least i'm at the last back up. Honestly i'm not as diligent as i should be (maybe once a month is what i should, If i get it done once a season i'm happy. I did just do it though)

I won't make any promises but you likely can recover the data (you might want to reach out to Buzzk, i think that's his thing.) If you had (have) recovery disks, you likely could have been good with just a new hard drive. As your hardware is 7 some odd years old, you may be better off biting the bullet and springing for a new (refurbished?) machine.:oops:

OK, now now do this.
upload_2017-8-15_16-48-55.png

./ Then boot the unit.
./ Go to BIOS (pressing F2 while booting) OR

./ Press F12 when the unit is booting
./ Boot from hard drive

Report .

last test - did you swap power connector? once swapped, if the CDROM powers on
(lights on front at power on) AND the hard drive does not spin/vibrate/etc then
it's a dead drive.

strange. all of my dead drives tend to have dying sounds...

Last edited:
I've had that happen on two older PCs...sorry, but
f6c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom