Is there a downside to using the USB audio output on a Synology NAS?

thetwin

I've been using my Synology NAS to host my music library and have been streaming audio directly out of the USB output to my Rega DAC. I'm using the onboard app Audio Station -- It sounds great and is incredibly convenient.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason to get a dedicated music streamer of some sort (Bluesound Node, etc)? Is there a difference in sound quality?

Thanks!

well, if you ever actually want to stream music you'll want a streamer. As far as i can tell, Audio Station only allows you to listen to what's already on your NAS. if you only listen to your library you can go from there, but first you need to decide if you'll stream at all; if you do, you'll need to explore streamers so you can have access to the Tidals and Spotifys.

Actually, you can use both effectively. Continue to use the Synology NAS as host and run the platform specific version of LMS on it. Then use an inexpensive streamer like a Raspberry Pi based unit for actual playback. Naturally, you would need network connectivity between them, but I prefer that kind of route rather than a dedicated anything.

Click here for an example of a cost effective example. You're already half way there.

I didn't even know a Synology could be used for USB output. Mine has USB ports front and back. Thought they were for additional storage only...? Not that I'd ever do it. I keep the noisy electronics in the basement, and stream elsewhere in the house where I need it.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, USB audio out of the back of the NAS, which goes straight to my DAC. I can also control volume digitally via the DS AUDIO/Audio Station app on my iPhone or iPad, which function as a remote.

I don't have a need for Spotify or any online service...I'm content accessing my FLAC library on the NAS. Just wondering if I'm compromising any audio quality at the source. Thanks!

Thanks--I wasn't aware that was possible. The nature of a NAS, though, is like having centralized storage you can access anywhere on the network, which is how I planned to use it, and never looked into other methods. Once the travel season passes, I'm looking to upgrade mine, either getting a DS416play to gain two more bays, a DS216play to add two bays (and dedicate one to video, the other to audio), or just get a large eSATA or USB3 drive to tether to my existing box to expand my storage. I have two 4TB drives nearly full. (Ripping SACDs and getting high-res files eats up space fast on the audio drive!) As for the unit itself, it has been rock solid since I bought it a few years ago.

As long as you get a clean USB signal out of the Synology, I would imagine it works fine with your setup. If I used USB for audio, I would probably get something like the Schiit Wyrd (a "USB decrapifier" as they call it) to feed into the DAC.

There are many ways to do this "digital thing." ;)

DS216J here for music. USB/Wyrd/Bifrost MB. This works well with DS Audio except for the having to log out/log in deal everyday. Not really a big deal but a pita.

I had some bad experiences with ripping to flac so now I rip everything to .wav. I mean, disk space really isn't an issue.

I have my 216J and Yamaha receiver connected to the wired network so using the Yamaha app on phone or tablet I can select music on any nas connected to the network and playback music through the wired network. You can do essentially the same thing using the receiver remote but you pretty much have to have the tv on to see where you are wrt the folders on the nas(s).

Of course, doing it over the cat5 network, you're using the receiver's internal dac.

Vl6i18f.jpg

oFLtLaK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom